Brewer Fanatic

Yermin Mercedes?

He's reported to be "retiring". Apparently he's frustrated about having been demoted by the White Sox. After his red hot start, he tailed off considerably but has a 1.032 OPS in AAA. Truth is he has no role with the Sox with Jimenez due back soon, and the success of Vaughn and Gavin Sheets.

He's a catcher by trade but in truth he's a hitter. Has played a little 1B. Seems to me that with Hiura relegated to facing lefties and pinch hitting and not doing either all that well, that Mercedes might be an option and give the Brewers at worst a nice bench bat you can stick in the lineup once in a while at 1B and DH while providing protection at catcher. Brewers still have 8 games in AL parks. Going forward if there's a DH next year, his value would increase.

I've read a fair amount of speculation that it relates to the incident where he broke an unwritten rule, got thrown at the next day by the Twins, and his manager more or less commended the other teams handling of the situation. It's really easy for me to jump on a "get TLR out of baseball" bandwagon.

I like the idea of bringing this guy in as well, but don't expect it to be very feasible for many reasons.

Verified Member
I wouldn't say no to taking a gamble on him, but all of the evidence suggests he's a AAAA player who had one fantastic month. He's also a DH-forward player who may or may not be a viable 1B in the NL.

I wouldn't say no to taking a gamble on him, but all of the evidence suggests he's a AAAA player who had one fantastic month. He's also a DH-forward player who may or may not be a viable 1B in the NL.

This. I'm not buying that month with anything serious.

And I side with Mercedes over LaRussa in general...but outright quitting is also probably not the best idea. I guess I'd ask to be traded, though maybe this is his way of doing it...I don't know.

Archived