Brewer Fanatic

Breaking the pattern from 2018-20

DHonks

When reflecting on recent post-season appearances, the Brewers have had several similarities over the years. Strong bullpens, September surges, and other things come to mind. But it’s great to hear the Brewers being careful not to abuse the arms because one trend has likely cost us the last few years—Ace injuries

2018–Jimmy Nelson gets hurt, necessitating us using openers

2019- Brandon Woodruff gets hurt, limiting his pitch count in Washington

2020- Corbin Burnes gets hurt.

We could also point out 2008 (Ben Sheets getting hurt), except he was hurt when we acquired Sabathia. We also had 2011 or 2012 (can’t remember) with Shaun Marcum battling injuries. OR even ‘82 with Rollie. My point is that it’s good to hear the Brewers handling the rotation with kid gloves because we need our big 3 at full strength for a deep post-season run.

2020 Devin Williams was out of the playoff series.

I know you’re talking rotation, but still, maybe if he was available…….

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

When reflecting on recent post-season appearances, the Brewers have had several similarities over the years. Strong bullpens, September surges, and other things come to mind. But it’s great to hear the Brewers being careful not to abuse the arms because one trend has likely cost us the last few years—Ace injuries

We could also point out 2008 (Ben Sheets getting hurt), except he was hurt when we acquired Sabathia. We also had 2011 or 2012 (can’t remember) with Shaun Marcum battling injuries. OR even ‘82 with Rollie. My point is that it’s good to hear the Brewers handling the rotation with kid gloves because we need our big 3 at full strength for a deep post-season run.

Nelson got injured in late 2017....the openers thing didn't really take off until that September hot streak and was largely a thing because their bullpen was stacked (had longman Hader, Knebel, Soria, Guerra, Jeffress + Burnes, Woodruff and Peralta as late season multi-inning relievers come playoff time). They rode their bullpen to the spot they reached in the NLCS, but not having a better rotation to give them more innings likely burned a few key guys out a bit (Jeffress in particular) that made them less effective at the end when they needed it most. The 2018 pitching staff was full of 5 inning starters because their young arms weren't quite ready to be in that role - now they are.

Injuries are such a big part of pitching and seemingly so fickle that I doubt the current approach to try and conserve inning limits on some of the Brewer starters is a direct result of relatively recent starter injuries down the stretch headed into the postseason - it's just how pitching is evolving, but even moreso I'd imagine it's a result of last year's COVID-shortened season severely restricting innings workloads and how to best cope with ramping back up to a full 162 this year.

2020 Devin Williams was out of the playoff series.

I know you’re talking rotation, but still, maybe if he was available…….

The Brewers scored 2 runs in 2 games against the Dodgers last postseason...Williams was great in 2020 and a key part of how a putrid offensive team reached an expanded playoff format, but the Brewers weren't nearly good enough offensively last year to make a deep postseason run.

Of course, a pitcher being injured is often unrelated to the pitcher’s arm being abused, especially when that pitcher destroys his shoulder diving into a base.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

• 2 months later...