Brewer Fanatic

Backup Catcher

Probably not. Narvaez is a high end catcher who plays almost every day anyway, so the backup catcher here has a minimal affect on our bottom line. Pina has less than 100 ABs in 2021. Much of his poor performance offensively is likely just small sample variation and not necessarily what we should expect going forward.

Worth pointing out that Brewer pitching has given up a meager 2 runs or less in 10 out of Pina's last 12 starts. Could be partially coincidence, but probably not all coincidence. I would be more concerned with any potential disruption to our pitching staff over a few dozen ABs between now and the end of the season.

Probably not. Narvaez is a high end catcher who plays almost every day anyway, so the backup catcher here has a minimal affect on our bottom line. Pina has less than 100 ABs in 2021. Much of his poor performance offensively is likely just small sample variation and not necessarily what we should expect going forward.

Worth pointing out that Brewer pitching has given up a meager 2 runs or less in 10 out of Pina's last 12 starts. Could be partially coincidence, but probably not all coincidence. I would be more concerned with any potential disruption to our pitching staff over a few dozen ABs between now and the end of the season.

If they could get Yan Gomes from the Nationals, that's a big enough talent to make it worth changing back up catchers. He is a good defensive catcher, hits well enough to be a viable pinch hitting option, plays a little bit of first base, etc. Otherwise, they may as well roll with Pina, and maybe he hits better down the stretch, because there isn't significant separation between him and other back up catchers around the league.

I can’t see them moving away from Pina. I really can’t.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There is no reason to acquire a back up catcher to play once a week. It is a big reason Pina is so terrible this year, any replacement would likely be just as bad. No reason to mess with the pitching staff tossing a new catcher into the mix voluntarily.

Plus, will they actually not play Narvaez in the postseason vs lefties? With the off days in the postseason it's not as necessary to get the C his off days by missing games like in regular season. He does have drastic splits, but his approach this year is so solid with the opposite field and with how weak Manny has been I'd think they just play him every game. So with a 7ish game lead right now this probably isn't a big priority( to trade for someone who might not play in postseason anyway).

Obviously that's speculation, if they do not want to play him vs lefties it makes this moot.

Not unlike "acquiring" a former version of Yelich and Hiura, our best pickup at backup catcher would be Pina fixing things to get to .650 OPS. Putting resources in other areas and not pulling someone in over Mario and PHenry factor in here.

Does everyone realize that his 2021 BABIP is .096

I don't want to waste any trade capital on a backup catcher that starts once a week. Pina is fine, and handles our pitching staff beuatifully.

His defense is top notch, so I'm fine standing pat with Pina unless Omar goes down with an injury in the next week or so.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived