Brewer Fanatic

Mid Season (ish) Promotion Wish List

With the new draft class likely to start pushing prospects up the minor leagues, here is my wish list of who I want to see get promoted. I based it on statistics, age, roster availability, and Rule 5 draft eligibility (to evaluate these players if they are at risk of getting drafted). I'll start with the hitters first:

AAA to majors

Free Cooper Hummel (Clancy, I'll join the bandwagon) Well, he's free but not the way I hoped

Wes Wilson

Both of these guys are deserving of a utility role should one open up in the Majors, though unlikely with Reyes and Lopes already on the 40 man roster. Both Hummel and Wilson are Rule 5 eligible (and were the last 2 years)

AA to AAA

None. Palma and Longo are older and could get promoted if an OF is needed. Maybe Fry but C seems deep enough at AAA. Turang and Mitchell should stay at AA for the rest of the year. No need to rush them. Turang Promoted anyways

A+ to AA

K. Howell (Great stats so far. He's rule 5 eligible and very likely to be protected) Promoted

T. Dillard (Good power and little blocking him) Promoted

Hamilton has been good but is blocked by Turang Both promoted. I love Cantrelle's nearly 400 OBP, but I cant see him being promoted with a below 200 BA. Promoted anyways

A to A+

Warren (Great numbers) Promoted

Campbell and/or McGee (Utility types that have done really well and are a touch old for low A)

I could see Holt and his 400 OBP or Valerio get promoted but I'll stick with the above. Valerio is a little young and could use more time Both Promoted. Valerio dominated/color]. Martinez is rule 5 eligible but is likely safe this far away for the majors. Wiemer is intriguing but I'd like to see game power emerge first Power emerged and Promoted.

Edit: Actual promotions shown in blue. They were very aggressive with promotions this year, but it sure helps that they had many players with excellent performances. Lots to be excited about.

These are the Pitchers that I would like to see promoted:

AAA to majors

E.Small (if the recent injury is not too serious)

Ashby should get another look as well as the already revolving rotation of pitchers. Barker or Alvarez could follow suit with Cousins/sanchez but I would rather see the Brewers make a trade.

AA to AAA

Otero (next in the line of Independent lg to AA to AAA to majors relief pitchers) - Promoted, 7/21

Strzelecki and Hardy are both rule 5 eligible and have done ok, but they need to dominate more. Both are giving up too many baserunners.

A+ to AA

Luna (Free Carlos!) - Promoted

T. Floyd (a nice surprise this year) - Promoted

Bullock Promoted and Castaneda are rule 5 eligible, so may get a look.

A to A+

Matulovich - Promoted

Belzer

C.Robinson - Promoted

Matulovich and Belzer are both old for the league and need to get challenged. Cam has pitched well and has already see a brief callup to AA.

Edit: Actual Promotions listed in blue

I think you promote whichever Carolina infielder you think is most ready. Between the draft picks, the ACL guys and the injured players, there are going to be a ton of guys competing for playing time at A and high-A next season, so the more guys you can give a chance to move closer to earning a double-A spot the better.

It might be more two weeks from now, but if Reifert keeps throwing strikes, I could see him getting bumped to AA. He has been dominant when he avoids walking guys, and relievers tend to move fast.

These are the Pitchers that I would like to see promoted:

AA to AAA

Otero (next in the line of Independent lg to AA to AAA to majors relief pitchers)

A+ to AA

Luna (Free Carlos!)

Definitely on board with these two. Otero is 29. He's on pace to be a 30 year old rookie like Junior Guerra. Might as well get him to AAA. With Luna, I'm still thinking back to the solid AAA start he made as a rookie baller and hoping we really got something there.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The roster glut in the Arizona Complex League seems kind of silly when we’re so lean on position players at the next few levels. Amongst the guys sitting out today’s ACL game were Hedbert Perez, Eduardo Garcia, Jesus Chirinos, Eduarqui Fernandez, Jhonny Vargas…

Meanwhile, Carolina’s Ashton McGee is likely recovering from yesterday’s hit-by-pitch and Ernesto Martinez hasn’t played in 3 days, Wisconsin has run into some offensive struggles recently and Biloxi has been short-handed all year.

I understand not wanting to cut players amidst a bizarre Covid-affected season, but I don’t think promoting players up the chain would need to result in any cuts. At this point, it would honestly seem to just provide necessary breathers for some and more opportunity to play for others.

Meanwhile, Kent Hasler (who’ll be 26 in October) just struck out 8 in 3.0 innings while giving up one hit and two intentional walks. I guess we’re really determined to capture that Carolina League (Low-A East) title…

If I were Biloxi ownership and fans, I'd be upset with the Brewers. They have been short staffed on the bench most of the year. Forcing them to play poor performing players. Aguilar has been battling around 0.100 for a good portion of the season but still getting regular at bats. His OPS is now up to 523 after a recent hot streak but that has been a black hole all year. Castro, Devanny, Erceg have all been terrible.

At least get a few bench bats to help out.

With injuries suddenly reducing the Carolina Mudcats to 13 active pitchers (including Jason Munsch, who hasn't played in nearly a month) and Kent Hasler screaming for promotion (what's a guy gotta do?), here's hoping for some new additions to the staff, e.g.:

- Promotion of Junior Montero

- Placement of 2nd round pick Russell Smith

- Post-rehab placement of Brandon Ramey

- Post-rehab placement of Israel Puello

- Post-rehab placement of Santiago Elizondo

• 2 weeks later...

2B Tyler Black (33rd overall pick) has probably seen enough of ACL ball, so I’d expect he’ll be in Carolina by Tuesday. This may bump one Mudcat to Wisconsin; my money’s on utility man Ashton McGee.

Of course, 1B/OF Ernesto Martinez should also make the move from Carolina to Wisconsin. To me, the three Arizona guys who could come to Carolina to bump up Ernesto are OF Hedbert Perez, C Jeferson Quero and 1B Jesus Chirinos. And though Perez and Quero are super-prospects, I think the promotion (if any) will go to Chirinos, who’s two years older and already played in Arizona in 2019. Quero may also be blocked this year by the sheer number of decent catchers above him in the system.

It does feel like Zamora and Martinez are the most likely ones left to be promoted. Excluding guys who have been promoted in the last month and the complex league, the next two are probably older or more experienced relievers in Hasler and Chirino. Reifert has been dominant, but without the age (Hasler) or fast approaching minor league free agency (I think Chirino only one season left) issues, I don’t know that the Brewers have a major impetus to move him up. Similarly, it is seeming more and more likely, despite his success, that Fry will finish the year with Biloxi.

Everyone else is probably a fringy promotion candidate with something working against them, be it age for level/position (Miller), the fact everyone is hitting in Carolina (Campbell) or the Brewers traditionally high bar for promoting relievers from AA to AAA (Hintzen).

• 2 weeks later...
If there’s room for him, I could see Frelick finish the year in Appleton. He’s an advanced college guy who’s dominated low-A pitching so far so I could see him fast tracked a bit.

Excellent call on Frelick.

I like bumping this thread to discuss possible promotions. Gotta figure Tristan Peters gets the call to Carolina on Tuesday, as he’s hitting over .300 and they’re short-handed.

There’s also the possibility of some players getting promoted to AAA Nashville for its last 10 games of the season, since Nashville and the DSL teams will be the only squads in action after September 19th (unless Carolina sneaks into the playoffs). Maybe a few guys like Mitchell, Howell, Hamilton, Lutz, Floyd, Luna (if recovered), Gray, Wiemer could see their seasons extended.

Archived