Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-18: Brewers (Burnes) at Reds (Gray) [Brewers win, 8-0 -- Burnes is outstanding over 8.1 IP including 12 Ks; Crew completes sweep at GABP]

Eye Black
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, it was pointless to send him back out there.

I didn't have a problem with it. It kinda sucks we've been so trained by baseball's trendy cautious handling of pitchers that we can't enjoy an opportunity for a complete game shutout.

Stat chasing would really suck if Burnes would be complaining about a sore forearm or shoulder a few days from now. There's an 8 run lead. There's absolutely nothing to be gained by sending him out there for the 9th. If you can't trust a guy like Perdomo or someone else to hold an 8 run lead, they shouldn't be on the team.

Another day where the sky isn’t falling. Great win and awesome series.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Felt a bit pessimistic after losing three straight at home against Cincinnati to go into the All Star Break. Sweeping them on the road right out of the break with three different types of wins is a real boost. Ends up being a 4-3 win in the seven game wraparound series to open up a 7-game lead on July 18.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I didn't have a problem with it. It kinda sucks we've been so trained by baseball's trendy cautious handling of pitchers that we can't enjoy an opportunity for a complete game shutout.

I think there is a difference between having a pitcher dealing in a close game and having him continue and pitching in a blowout. Just unnecessary risk. Like Jimmy Nelson running the bases.

ADAMES!

This kid is freaking amazing!

This season can easily be split into Before Adames and After Adames. Long live the AA era

Now an MLB best 35-16 since the trade (21-23 before) while scoring 5.08 runs per game (3.66 before).

Nice series to hopefully put a damper on the ‘how can the Brewers continue to win with this offense’ stuff as well.

That trope hasn't been true since the Adames trade but it gets brought up just about every single thread.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

ADAMES!

This kid is freaking amazing!

This season can easily be split into Before Adames and After Adames. Long live the AA era

Now an MLB best 35-16 since the trade (21-23 before) while scoring 5.08 runs per game (3.66 before).

I mean, this is the type of stuff that the mvp voters should look at.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I mean, this is the type of stuff that the mvp voters should look at.

Unfortunately for adames, Braun will be back soon and run away with the mvp.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Nice series to hopefully put a damper on the ‘how can the Brewers continue to win with this offense’ stuff as well.

If we really want to win it all, the team still could use bats, whether that is a starter at 1B or off the bench. I mean, why not? If the price is right, why not make noticeable upgrades? If we love the team and see some guys making a big turnaround in the second half, well that’s understandable to stand put. Yet, I expect a couple of bats and relief arms in the next week and a half.

I think there is a difference between having a pitcher dealing in a close game and having him continue and pitching in a blowout. Just unnecessary risk. Like Jimmy Nelson running the bases.

I won't apologize for being a baseball fan. I know all the reasons why pitchers are handled with extra care. He threw 10 extra pitches, I think he's going to be ok. It's still July, if he's going to have arm trouble sitting him 10 pitches early isn't going to prevent it.

I wasn't advocating leaving him in to finish the 9th no matter what, I actually would have pulled him earlier than he ended up getting pulled. I sort of understood allowing him to continue after giving up a single, he could induce a double play, but I still probably pull him right then and there. Definitely pull him when the next batter reached on a bad throw but CC must have been feeling lucky.

I don't think I was being unreasonable, giving him the chance to finish the game is about more than chasing a stat it's giving him a chance to grow, set a personal best and build confidence. And it's fun. What ever happened to having fun?

I doubt Corbin Burnes grew up fantasizing about getting pulled from a game where he had a 3 hit shutout going with one inning to go and a reasonable pitch count.

Again, it's such a shame as fans that we've had this 100 pitch limit stuffed down our throats so much that we've Stockholm Syndromed ourselves into believing it actually represents a rigid point of no return. That we're somehow safer if he throws 98 pitches instead of 108. All at the cost of seeing something special and fun, which is the whole point of sports to begin with.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived