Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-17: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers win, 7-4 in 11 innings -- Crew outhits Reds 15-5; Gustave pitches two strong innings in extras]

Eye Black

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers roughed Castillo up (5 runs in 5 innings) in late May when he was struggling against everybody. Through May in 11 starts he was 1-8 with an ERA of 7.22. Since then, he has had 8 more starts, including 3 against the Brewers, and has been much better, with an ERA of 1.97 and a WHIP of about 1.00. In his last 3 starts against the Brewers he has allowed just 7 hits in 18 innings, and 3 of the 4 runs he was charged with came after he left the game. The game in Cincinnati was interrupted by a rain delay.

You have to expect that runs will be tough to come by with Castillo on the mound. Hopefully Woodruff can at least match him, if not outduel him.

Castillo reminds me of Freddy Peralta in that he tends to be somewhat inefficient. He is usually throwing his 100th pitch by the 6th inning.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

If we aren't able to get to Castillo, hopefully we can run up his pitch count and get him out if the game early like the last game we faced him.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

If we aren't able to get to Castillo, hopefully we can run up his pitch count and get him out if the game early like the last game we faced him.

Since June 1, he’s yet to go less than a full 5 innings. Averaging 6 1/3 innings per start. That’s with a 1.97 era.

Hopefully we can still get to him a bit.

Reds have the 4th worst bullpen era in mlb with a 5.26…only beating Colorado, Arizona and Detroit.

Since June 1, he’s yet to go less than a full 5 innings. Averaging 6 1/3 innings per start. That’s with a 1.97 era.

Hopefully we can still get to him a bit.

Reds have the 4th worst bullpen era in mlb with a 5.26…only beating Colorado, Arizona and Detroit.

When he pitched against us last Sunday, he only went 5 and 1/3, we just weren't able to capitalize against the pen.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Given how big this series is, kinda surprised the Reds aren’t starting Castillo all three games.

If they only had a houser to pitch in big games

in the reds defense, we don’t know if Castillo is ready for the bright lights.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Community Moderator
Jace back at first base tonight. I can’t imagine they’ll continue to carry both Hiura and Tellez on the major league roster if Jace is anticipated to be the primary starting option at 1B for the foreseeable future.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Ouch

RHP Devin Williams placed on the 10-day injured list with right elbow discomfort. LHP Angel Perdomo recalled from Triple-A Nashville.

Better now, I guess. Strickland's about to see some high-leverage innings.

Hope it's not the bad kind of right elbow discomfort? As if, maybe, there might be an okay kind.

Ouch

RHP Devin Williams placed on the 10-day injured list with right elbow discomfort. LHP Angel Perdomo recalled from Triple-A Nashville.

Better now, I guess. Strickland's about to see some high-leverage innings.

Hope it's not the bad kind of right elbow discomfort? As if, maybe, there might be an okay kind.

Did they make that retroactive at all? With the off days coming up next week he could be eligible to come back as early as next weekend.

Hopefully it’s just a minor thing and they’re taking advantage of the off days to give him some rest.

This does make the loss of Richards hurt a little more in the short term.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Narvaez has been very good, but he's struggling with the bat lately. Might be time to drop him a bit in the order.

Last 14 days has a .941 OPS. Over the last month he has a .750 OPS

He's 2 for his last 12. I don't wanna start juggling based on the results of 3 games worth of PA's.

Community Moderator
That was a bad missed [should’ve been] strike three call against Suarez, but Narvaez stabbed his glove outside of the zone so I guess you cut the umpire some slack on that missed call.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived