Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 7/14 - Mudcats in Matinee

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

No Arizona Complex League on Wednesday's

No Dominican Complex League on Wednesday's

Links for affiliate audio

Standings and sortable stat pages

MiLB.TV options: Only Nashville at home. MiLB.TV available throughout.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jason Munsch makes his first start of the season (fourth appearance), as the Mudcats aim to win a second straight (hint: it’s going very well):

[attachment=0]B7D93A30-5A96-41F5-8CD3-0402B3D27B83.jpeg[/attachment]

There’s rain in the forecast, but here’s the Timber Rattlers lineup if they’re able to play, with Jesus Lujano returning and the team aiming for a third consecutive victory:

1 - Cantrelle - 2B

2 - Rodriguez - RF

3 - Howell - CF

4 - Dillard - 1B

5 - Ward - DH

6 - Lujano - LF

7 - Coca - SS

8 - Kahle - C

9 - McClanahan - 3B

X - Olson - P

Leo Crawford starts for the first time since June 9, as the Shuckers seek to bounce back from yesterday’s loss:

1 - Mitchell - CF

2 - Turang - SS

3 - Palma - RF

4 - Castro - 1B

5 - Spanberger - DH

6 - Fry - C

7 - Longo - LF

8 - G. Garcia - 3B

9 - Devanney - 2B

X - Crawford - P

Ashton McGee had a chance for the cycle, needing only a double. He opted to hit his second homer of the game instead (a grand slam). :)

What can people tell me about Ashton McGee? Is this a guy that we should start keeping an eye on, or is he just an advanced hitter for low A ball and really needs a bump up to face tougher competition?

From what I can see, McGee was ACC freshman of the year at UNC, had a decent college career but as an on base guy with some defensive flexibility coming into the draft (2019), he was probably viewed as a utility type. Not the guy you'd predict would turn in a night with 12 total bases and 9 rbi, but congrats to the young man. He looks to have been a bit young for his class, didn't turn 21 until the November after he was drafted, so he's not too different age wise than a lot of our A ball players.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: Nashville 5, Louisville (Reds) 0

Pre-Game Media Notes

Zach Green Leads Sounds Over Bats

Nashville Records Sixth Shutout of the Season

At worst, Zach Green will get a decent guarantee on a minor league free agent deal this fall. Organizations like to fill in pop atop their chains.

LH reliever Angel Perdomo 0.82 WHIP in 11 AAA innings, 1.58 in 13 big league appearances, but if he can just harness that...

VIDEO Tweets via the Sounds:

Green #1

Green #2

Given they've got two center fielders there I'd wager Hummel is in left.

Yes, Hummel played LF.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: Montgomery (Rays) 12, Biloxi 3

Pre-Game Media Notes

Shuckers Fall Despite Slugging Three Home Runs

Garrett Mitchell Hits First Double-A Homer

VIDEO Tweet: Mitchell's oppo shot

Zach Vennaro saved Bubba Derby's 19.80 ERA in ten Biloxi innings from reaching even greater heights by stranding three of Derby's baserunners. Vennaro would then struggle on his own behalf, as the box indicates. Even RHP Peter Strzelecki had a hiccup from his solid season here.

Brief VIDEO via WXXV: "This is just an uncharacteristically bad season for Biloxi, never finished below .500 and right now sitting 23 games below .500."

Indeed...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: Wisconsin 10, Peoria (Cardinals) 4

Pre-Game Media Notes (download) - Via the new Timber Rattler Virtual Press Box

Rattlers Score Ten in Peoria for Third Win in a Row

Rodríguez and Ward each have three hits and two RBI to lead the way

By Chris Mehring

Let's all enjoy that this Cardinals High-A squad is 22-40, riding an eight-game losing streak, and has to face RHP Carlos Luna Thursday.

Home run had to feel good for Nick Kahle. It's been a surprisingly rough go.

Hayden Cantrelle's line of .174/.393/.326 sure is well, something, but...

VIDEO Tweet: @BrewersPD points out how scalding July has been (updated OPS for the month is .981)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: Carolina 15, Kannapolis (White Sox) 10

Pre-Game Media Notes

McGee Sets Record with 9 RBI in 15-10 Victory

Ashton McGee totaled four hits including a 2-run triple, a 3-run home run, and a grand slam while setting a Mudcats franchise record with 9 RBI

AUDIO: Manager Joe Ayrault Post-Game Interview

VIDEO Tweets --

McGee's first HR in the 6th

The Cannonballers' announcer's call in this next clip isn't over the top, of course, but I do like: "Man, he has nine RBI's today, nine. Count 'em, even if you can't count them, I'll do it for you."

McGee goes to Slamtown in the 8th

Two day stretch for McGee, amazing

Ashton McGee (Splits)

McGee, healthy all year, has only played in 39 of 61 Mudcats games. His June playing time was puzzling after an .895 OPS in 17 May games, I mentioned that at least once. I don't think he has to worry about playing time for a while now.

Ashton McGee had a chance for the cycle, needing only a double. He opted to hit his second homer of the game instead (a grand slam). :)

What can people tell me about Ashton McGee? Is this a guy that we should start keeping an eye on, or is he just an advanced hitter for low A ball and really needs a bump up to face tougher competition?

Interesting stat line. He's hitting .333, walked over 15% of the time, and has struck out in 1/3rd of his plate appearances, resulting in a ridiculous .520 BABIP.

He's only 0.6 years older than the average age for the league. College hitters tend to mash rookie ball, but low-A is similar to a Power-5 college baseball conference, so he's not feasting on younger, inferior players. But that K rate tempers my enthusiasm for him quite a bit.

Archived