Brewer Fanatic

2021 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-10

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
To get back on track, no big surprises from 16-24. I would be happy enough if Black, Norby, Mikulski, Abbott, or Nikhasy are the pick at 33. Lots of good options though, and a couple of those guys should be around at 55 even.

Community Moderator

From Will Sammon…

Brewers scout Ty Blankmeyer on first round pick Sal Frelick: "If I was just a fan, I would go to the game and pay to watch Sal Frelick play baseball. ... This is the whole package in my opinion. It's legit."

Must've repeated phrase, "He's a winner," half a dozen times.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think once pipeline redoes their top 30’s Frelik could be slotted 2. Definitely top 3. Got to love improving the system, whatever your feelings on the draft pick are. Blenkenmeyer’s comments fires me up. Exactly the type of player I want in the organization

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Seems like the board is all over the place with this pick. Question does most feel he will be the team CF of the future?

No. That is likely Mitchell's job. But Frelick is the type of player that finds a spot for himself, whether its at 2B or in a corner spot.

Frelick strikes me as the type of player who is never a super-duper star, but plays 15 years in the majors and is a key contributor, making a few All-Star games along the way. A team could do much worse.

I can't imagine ever getting upset about a baseball draft pick unless it's in the top three

How about top 5. I hated the Corey Ray pick. How's that turning out?

About the same as it's turning out for Jason Groome or almost anyone else drafted in the 1st round that year outside of Kiriloff, Lux, or Kyle Lewis

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The only guy that really intrigued me was Hoglund. I would have been cool with him. I don't know enough about the players to say who I would have preferred. But I'll say that I have no problem with the guy we picked despite his lack of projected power. Outstanding speed. Excellent baserunner. Good defender. Great contact hitter. I'm okay with that. That sounds great. I love a power bat - but if it's not there - oh well. Such is life.

I'm super intrigued at what our defense will look like in a few years.

From Will Sammon…

Brewers scout Ty Blankmeyer on first round pick Sal Frelick: "If I was just a fan, I would go to the game and pay to watch Sal Frelick play baseball. ... This is the whole package in my opinion. It's legit."

Perhaps Frelick is a solid player, but I’m chuckling at this statement because saying the guy is a winner seems like a really cliche thing to say. Sounds especially like something one would say to justify a controversial pick (which Frelick isn’t).

So being that Frelick is a college guy, are we thinking he jumps right into affiliated ball here in a bit or will they wait until next year at this point? Will be interesting to see how they handle that with new draft picks with the draft being a month later.

Verified Member

From Will Sammon…

Perhaps Frelick is a solid player, but I’m chuckling at this statement because saying the guy is a winner seems like a really cliche thing to say. Sounds especially like something one would say to justify a controversial pick (which Frelick isn’t).

Totally agree. I know what the guy is saying, and that is a great quality to have, but it isn't as great of a quality as being an overwhelmingly good and athletic baseball player...and nothing he said says that Frelick isn't that... but this is a lot of "..." ...

I find my interpretation of the pick is influenced somewhat by How the big league team is succeeding. Namely very deep with lot's of contributors and seemingly churning out value from utility types. And seemingly pairing that with the ability to develop pitchers in a way never before seen in Brewers history. It sort of harkens back to the 90's Braves and the Cards too. Certainly it seems like more than just 'better drafting' there is some substantial improvement in development and part of that seems like it is finding a way to make guys useful by accentuating strengths.

So being that Frelick is a college guy, are we thinking he jumps right into affiliated ball here in a bit or will they wait until next year at this point? Will be interesting to see how they handle that with new draft picks with the draft being a month later.

Looks like the signing deadline is August 1st this year.

Carolina still has like seven weeks of games after that, so would imagine Frelick gets some time at the complex after signing then gets bumped to Carolina to finish the season.

If I’m Frelick, I tell my agent to figure it out ASAP and get in there. As a college guy, he could be on the move quickly if things fall right.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don’t think the draft board fell very well for them. Hard to get excited about an OF with no power. Word is they probably move him to 2B, but it’s still an issue there.

Was just re-reading the 2015 draft threads & Grisham was a short OF with a hit over power profile at #15 back in 2015. There were also questions about if his speed/arm would play in CF.

Maybe Trent had better power projection as a HS kid, but gotta think Sal has a higher floor being a college draftee with the edge on defense (at draft time anyway).

Even McClain looks like he has the bat to handle third. Just don't understand this organizations draft philosophy but thats why we have such a lowly ranked farm system.

Matt McLain, SS, UCLA: McLain, who hit .333/.434/.579 with nine home runs and nine steals (on 10 tries) for the Bruins this season, is all but guaranteed to be the first collegiate middle infielder to come off the board. When that happens, it'll mark the second time he's been drafted in the first round, as he elected to not sign in 2018 after being selected 25th overall by the Arizona Diamondbacks. McLain is an above-average runner with enough arm to stick at short (though some evaluators believe he'll slide back to center field, the position he played for the Bruins as a freshman). Offensively, he has a below-average power projection, which in turn could suppress his average and on-base abilities.

I'm thinking not so much here.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived