Brewer Fanatic

2021 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-10

Haven't seen a mock on Frelick lower than #16. Most in the #10-#14 range. Certainly not a reach. Can't say I mind a profile of limited power as the ding vs. one of strikeout problems, given what we're fond of acquiring at the MLB level.

Walked more than he struckout in his college career, if I heard correctly.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Even McClain looks like he has the bat to handle third. Just don;t understand this organizations draft philosophy but thats why we have such a lowly ranked farm system.

Why Jose Altuve is even in the Major Leagues is quite the mystery :rolleyes

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Haven't seen a mock on Frelick lower than #16. Most in the #10-#14 range. Certainly not a reach. Can't say I mind a profile of limited power as the ding vs. one of strikeout problems, given what we're fond of acquiring at the MLB level.

For a team that strikes out a ton, and had for years, that is a good thing. Not every guy in the lineup needs to swing for the fences every time up.

Not sure why I have a height bias in outfielders, but when I see his projections as a limited power type, I imagine they drafted Nori Aoki 2.0.

His scouting report says he's a slap hitter. I don't know how anyone can be excited by this pick.

Curious who did you want with the board ending up like it did.

Colson Montgomery or McClain.

Even McClain looks like he has the bat to handle third. Just don;t understand this organizations draft philosophy but thats why we have such a lowly ranked farm system.

Yes pick about the biggest outlier of all time to make a point.

Community Moderator

Didn’t you say 45 minutes ago you didn’t want McLain? I thought it was Montgomery or bust… did the three clips MLB Network showed of McLain sway you?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

For a team that strikes out a ton, and had for years, that is a good thing. Not every guy in the lineup needs to swing for the fences every time up.

Frelick is the opposite of Corey Ray. Todd Johnson got the job because someone else drafted Corey Ray.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Didn’t you say 45 minutes ago you didn’t want McLain? I thought it was Montgomery or bust… did the three clips MLB Network showed of McLain sway you?

Montgomery was who I wanted but McClain looks solid as well. Hoglund is another I would have been happy with. For the record I didn't want Watson either.

Mookie Betts, Ozzie Albies, Dustin Pedroia, Justin Turner Jose Ramirez, Kolten Wong, Brandon Lowe....

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Montgomery was who I wanted but McClain looks solid as well. Hoglund is another I would have been happy with. For the record I didn't want Watson either.

OK we'll come back in 2025 and see how you did

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jose Ramirez good?

Even McClain looks like he has the bat to handle third. Just don't understand this organizations draft philosophy but thats why we have such a lowly ranked farm system.

The reason we have such a lowly ranked farm system is because we have graduated or traded for over half of the current 26 man roster which has won the 9th most games in MLB at the All Star break this year, combined with poor draft position because the MLB team has won the 7th most games since 2018 with all the players they graduated or acquired via trade from their poorly rated farm system.

All our 1st round picks post Ray have performed consistently & steadily climbed the ladder through the system.

Just because you don't understand or disagree with the philosophy doesn't mean it isn't working.

Even McClain looks like he has the bat to handle third. Just don't understand this organizations draft philosophy but thats why we have such a lowly ranked farm system.

The reason we have such a lowly ranked farm system is because we have graduated or traded for over half of the current 26 man roster which has won the 9th most games in MLB at the All Star break this year, combined with poor draft position because the MLB team has won the 7th most games since 2018 with all the players they graduated or acquired via trade from their poorly rated farm system.

All our 1st round picks post Ray have performed consistently & steadily climbed the ladder through the system.

Just because you don't understand or disagree with the philosophy doesn't mean it isn't working.

I hear this low draft position excuse all the time but organizations like Tampa pick as late or later and have done quite well.

Why is it always defense and up the middle athletes over hitting and power ability. Just how many up the middle athletes does this organization need while we go through a bunch of first and third basemen every year.

If you can play SS, you can most likely play 3rd (or OF). And if you can play CF, you can play LF or RF

Please tell me which of the shortstops in our system has the bat to play third base.

Howell and Warren are really good 3B prospects, it's just that few realize it yet. No need to move a SS there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I hear this low draft position excuse all the time but organizations like Tampa pick as late or later and have done quite well.

So have the Brewers.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Jose Ramirez good?

Mookie Betts. Wander Franco is listed 5'10".

Sure, the likelihood of Frelick (or any player in any draft outside the top couple two tree picks) ever being as good as any of those guys is infinitesimal.

My personal theory is the Brewers are targeting shorter players with good approach/bat to ball skills because they believe this player type will benefit most when the electronic strike zone eventually arrives.

The reason we have a lowly ranked farm system is past directors Sied and Montgomery struggled. Also because we've never been productive on the international level.

Todd Johnson has been brilliant since talking over, and progress seems to be in the making in the international level.

Verified Member

Mookie Betts, Ozzie Albies, Dustin Pedroia, Justin Turner Jose Ramirez, Kolten Wong, Brandon Lowe....

[sarcasm]oh come on. Pick those 7 guys plus Altuve...plus that other list of 25 guys plus dozens of other guys we all forget just to make a point[/sarcasm]

Archived