Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-10: Reds (Gutiérrez) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers lose, 4-3 -- Ump Show Strikes Again]

Eye Black
Watch the replay, Yelich made a move, though extremly small, and tried to correct it. He saw the ball get past the 1B, and like 99.9999% of humans made the slightest move towards 2B.

If he had run back to 1B he would have been ok.

Problem is, that almost never gets called, so he probably figured he was fine.

I don't know how anyone can look at that and say he didn't have the slightest thought of going to 2B, because he did, and you can see it in his movement.

I thought it was a bad call at the time, but looking at it again, I have to agree.

In almost every situation, if a runner has no intent to advance, they turn the other way so there can be no confusion. If Yelich turns the other way, he is fine.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want to blame anyone for the play, blame 1B coach Quintin Berry who clearly motions for Yelich to advance to 2B and Yelich clearly reacts to it and steps to his left. Then he realized he wasn't going to make it and played it coy, but it's too late by this point. The Reds saw it and tagged him.

I'll have to go and see a replay of it again. Perhaps what got Yelich upset is this is practically never called. His 'move' towards 2nd was so subtle I didn't even see it even when they showed replays of it during the broadcast.

Watch the replay, Yelich made a move, though extremly small, and tried to correct it. He saw the ball get past the 1B, and like 99.9999% of humans made the slightest move towards 2B.

If he had run back to 1B he would have been ok.

Problem is, that almost never gets called, so he probably figured he was fine.

I don't know how anyone can look at that and say he didn't have the slightest thought of going to 2B, because he did, and you can see it in his movement.

I thought it was a bad call at the time, but looking at it again, I have to agree.

In almost every situation, if a runner has no intent to advance, they turn the other way so there can be no confusion. If Yelich turns the other way, he is fine.

I think the umps got it right with Yelich. The strike zone on the other hand.......

Here's the rule:

Any runner is out when --

(j) failing to return at once to first base after overrunning or oversliding that base. If attempting to run to second the runner is out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first base the runner starts toward the dugout, or toward a position, and fails to return to first base at once, that runner is out, on appeal, when said runner or the base is tagged.

1. The rule doesn't say it's whether he had the slightest thought about going to second base or took a half step left instead of right. The rule is whether he attempted to go to second base. He didn't.

2. As to returning at once to first, look at the examples. He didn't start toward the dugout or go to his position. He clearly intended to stay on first base. So that doesn't apply either and calling him out for that would be not just a BS application of a technicality but wrong.

Bad call. At best you can say that it's arguably correct (even though completely unnecessary since nobody was somehow fooled into thinking he was going to second so why exercise your judgment to make the call that way). But even that is a losing argument Yelich was justifiably upset. So was Uecker and I've been listening to him for 50+ years and he is not a homer on this kind of stuff.

Archived