Brewer Fanatic

Cubs fire sale

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After winning the World Series in 2016 with their young core, I feared the Cubs would be force to be reckoned with for the next five years. I must say it has been a pleasure to watch the Brewers have a hand in preventing them from accomplishing much during that time.

After games on September 2, the Fangraphs Playoff Odds gave the Cubs a 93.2% chance to win the division. The Brewers stood at 4.9% to win the division.

The next day, the two teams started a 3-game series. The Brewers got a walk-off win in the first game after Kris Bryant's questionable decision to go for a third to first double play instead of taking the force out at home with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the ninth. The Brewers took 2 of 3 from the Cubs in that series and did the same a week later at Wrigley Field.

Beginning with the Labor Day comeback, the Brewers won 18 of their last 24 games to finish the regular season tied with the Cubs for first, resulting in a Game 163 at Wrigley. The Cubs lost the game (and the division) to the Brewers and then the deflated bunch lost the WC game to the Rockies for a quick exit from the post-season.

After beating the Brewers on September 5 in the first game of a 4-game series, Fangraphs gave the Cubs a 86.5% chance to make the playoffs and a 41.0% chance to win the division. They had the Brewers at a 5.6% chance to make the playoffs.

Instead, the Brewers won the last 3 games of the series and went 18-5 in their last 23 games. Meanwhile, the Cubs choked, going 8-15 down the stretch as the Brewers won a Wild Card berth and the Cubs missed the playoffs.

After the Cubs no-hit the Dodgers on June 24, the Brewers and Cubs were tied for first with a 3-games series set to start the following week. The Cubs lose 3 straight to the Dodgers while the Brewers sweep the Rockies, giving the Brewers a 3-game lead to start the series. The Brewers proceed to sweep the Cubs, including a soul-crushing final game in which the Cubs take a 7-0 lead in the first inning before giving up 15 unanswered runs. The Cubs go on to lose their next 5 games (11 straight in all) while the Brewers win their next 3 (for an 11-game winning streak) resulting in the Cubs deciding to be sellers, marking an end to the Cubs' 5-year post-World Series window.

Results from 2017 to 2020 (with 2021 yet TBD):

Cubs: 3 Playoff Appearances (2 Division Titles, 1 WC), 1 LCS Appearance, 4-9 postseason record

Brewers: 3 Playoff Appearances (1 Division Title, 2 WC), 1 LCS Appearance, 7-6 postseason record

After winning the World Series in 2016 with their young core, I feared the Cubs would be force to be reckoned with for the next five years. I must say it has been a pleasure to watch the Brewers have a hand in preventing them from accomplishing much during that time.

After games on September 2, the Fangraphs Playoff Odds gave the Cubs a 93.2% chance to win the division. The Brewers stood at 4.9% to win the division.

The next day, the two teams started a 3-game series. The Brewers got a walk-off win in the first game after Kris Bryant's questionable decision to go for a third to first double play instead of taking the force out at home with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the ninth. The Brewers took 2 of 3 from the Cubs in that series and did the same a week later at Wrigley Field.

Hook this into my veins.

Beginning with the Labor Day comeback, the Brewers won 18 of their last 24 games to finish the regular season tied with the Cubs for first, resulting in a Game 163 at Wrigley. The Cubs lost the game (and the division) to the Brewers and then the deflated bunch lost the WC game to the Rockies for a quick exit from the post-season.

After beating the Brewers on September 5 in the first game of a 4-game series, Fangraphs gave the Cubs a 86.5% chance to make the playoffs and a 41.0% chance to win the division. They had the Brewers at a 5.6% chance to make the playoffs.

Instead, the Brewers won the last 3 games of the series and went 18-5 in their last 23 games. Meanwhile, the Cubs choked, going 8-15 down the stretch as the Brewers won a Wild Card berth and the Cubs missed the playoffs.

After the Cubs no-hit the Dodgers on June 24, the Brewers and Cubs were tied for first with a 3-games series set to start the following week. The Cubs lose 3 straight to the Dodgers while the Brewers sweep the Rockies, giving the Brewers a 3-game lead to start the series. The Brewers proceed to sweep the Cubs, including a soul-crushing final game in which the Cubs take a 7-0 lead in the first inning before giving up 15 unanswered runs. The Cubs go on to lose their next 5 games (11 straight in all) while the Brewers win their next 3 (for an 11-game winning streak) resulting in the Cubs deciding to be sellers, marking an end to the Cubs' 5-year post-World Series window.

Results from 2017 to 2020 (with 2021 yet TBD):

Cubs: 3 Playoff Appearances (1 Division Title, 2 WC), 1 LCS Appearance, 4-9 postseason record

Brewers: 3 Playoff Appearances (1 Division Title, 2 WC), 1 LCS Appearance, 7-6 postseason record

Hook this into my veins.

Since the Cubs won the World Series and appeared to be starting a dynasty, the Brewers have a better record by 5.5 games. It seemed unbelievable at the time that this is how it played out.

Since the Cubs won the World Series and appeared to be starting a dynasty, the Brewers have a better record by 5.5 games. It seemed unbelievable at the time that this is how it played out.

And it's gonna get a lot worse....

I have to say, kudos to the Cubs for actually going all-in on a sale. Thought they might be hesitant to tear it all down due to PR, etc., but they're doing it and will shorten the time of their rebuild as a result.

Keeping Bryant is looks like, doesnt make sense but ok.

There's still about 15 minutes left. I can't see them hanging onto him. He was the one guy I thought for sure would be on the move.

Yep. He's so ticked about the service-time manipulation that he's undoubtedly going to leave.

Keeping Bryant is looks like, doesnt make sense but ok.

There's still about 15 minutes left. I can't see them hanging onto him. He was the one guy I thought for sure would be on the move.

Right but they still need another team to pay the price they want for him.

Maybe just lock him up and build around him?

NEVERMIND - Bryant gone

I was excited to watch the dismantling of this "dynasty" but am not thrilled they got such a prospect haul. Cubsinsider https://www.cubsinsider.com/2021/07/31/ranking-10-new-prospects-cubs-acquired-during-deadline-fire-sale/ ranked the return as follows, not including Madrigal and Heuer. That's a nice start to their rebuild.

10. Bailey Horn – LHP

The 2020 fifth-round draft pick out of Auburn is probably more of a reliever than a starter. His fastball can touch upper 90s at times, but usually sits in the mid 90s.

9. Daniel Palencia – RHP

This kid is pretty much the definition of a lottery ticket and he will be with Myrtle Beach for the rest of this year. It’s unclear at this point how the Cubs will use him, but my guess would be that he would start so that he can work on an arsenal that includes a fastball the tops out around 100 miles an hour. He is still fairly young at 21 and is still learning to control his pitches.

8. Bryce Ball – 1B

I’ve been watching him play in person all week in Davenport and he looks like he’s more relaxed at the plate. Nerves may have been a factor as he started out 1-for-20 with what seemed to be 900 walks (17.4% walk rate). He has a great plate approach and has the potential for big-time power, though I would not be surprised if the Cubs try to shorten his stroke a little bit because of his size.

7. Greg Deichmann – OF

Out of all the prospects the Cubs acquired at the deadline, Deichmann is probably the closest in terms of helping out at the big league level. He was hitting well in the Triple-A West League with an on-base percentage well over .400 for the year. He has been known to have power outbursts from time to time, but he really seems to struggle against left-handed pitching. Some see his ceiling as a platoon player at the major league level.

6. Anderson Espinoza – RHP

Like Palencia, Espinoza has a pretty big arm. He’s already had Tommy John twice, but he’s coming off of July at High-A in which he had an ERA of 1.86 in limited innings. He’s made 12 starts on the year but only has thrown 28.2 innings. His 37 strikeouts during that time make it a little easier to overlook the elbow surgeries.

5. Alexander Canario – OF

Canario is blessed with incredible bat speed and he is another guy the Cubs seem to be coveting because he has some loud tools. He just hasn’t put them all together yet as he continues to fill out physically. He was a top 10 prospect in a Giants system that was pretty deep and we should get a look at him in Myrtle Beach this weekend.

4. Alexander Vizcaino – RHP

As with two previous players, Vizcaino has an upper 90s fastball and is stationed in the lower part of the system. He was a top 10 Yankees prospect who just needs to learn how to control and command his gifts, so we’ll see whether and how he’s able to do that in South Bend over the remainder of the season.

3. Caleb Kilian – RHP

The 24-year-old out of Texas Tech is probably the one player most fans are underestimating right now because he was ranked 30th in the Giants’ system coming into this year. However, he’s just destroyed High-A and Double-A in 11 starts with a combined 2.35 ERA that comes from commanding four pitches for strikes.

Kilian has walked only 11 batters in 100.2 innings as a pro and he added a lot of muscle to his 6-foot-4 frame over the winter. He might be a guy we could possibly see in Chicago at some point next year.

2. Kevin Alcantara – OF

The 6-foot-6 19-year-old who signed for $1 million in 2018 will be joining the Cubs’ rookie league squad in Mesa. He only weighed 188 pounds when he signed, but he’s a little bit bigger now and has the potential to become an impressive hitter as he continues to get bigger and improve his discipline to take full advantage of his incredible bat speed.

1. Pete Crow-Armstrong – OF – Mets

I was hoping he would fall to the Cubs in the 2020 draft and he did, but the Cubs took Ed Howard instead. Armstrong is an excellent defender in center field and, while he may not be a power producer at the major league level, almost everyone thinks he’s going to be able to hit. In a small sample size this year, Crow-Armstrong just demolished Low-A pitching by hitting .417 before he needed to have surgery to fix a torn labrum and articular cartilage in his non-throwing shoulder.

Kevin Goldstein had a pretty interesting article over at FanGraphs about how losing teams will use the last two months of the season...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-losing-teams-will-use-the-last-two-months-of-the-season/

Cubs excerpt, Based on their acquisitions, the Cubs are playing the long game and the short one isn’t going to be much fun to watch.

the short one isn’t going to be much fun to watch.

Well, I for one will be having tons of fun watching their short game. :)

Haha. Yeah, I might...might...even go to a couple two tree Cubs games at AmFam now after avoiding them for a little while.

Archived