Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-07, Game 1: Brewers (Burnes) at Mets (deGrom) [Brewers lose, 4-3 in 8 innings -- Hader blows save for 1st time this season]

Eye Black
How is Williams ever going to be Williams of last year if he can’t be counted on to get 1 out in the 6th(8th) of a game in July? It’s just too damn early to be blowing out your pen for W’s. Trust your guys. CC does this so well and it pays off for him often.

He had one base open, that was my issue. He's had issues walking guys. Then he hits the first batter and the bases are loaded. That was my nightmare. If the move came at the beginning of the inning I wouldn't have been as concerned.

But Hader isn't immune to walking guys or giving up a hit here and there so there are really no guarantees in this game. Glad Williams got the job done.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we have to accept that they aren't using Hader for 4 outs at all at this point of the season

Hader was great in the role he had in 2018. He didn't really like the role, though. So the Brewers adjusted his role to keep one of their most valuable players happy. I not real sure why that is so tough to get. Hader wanted to be a traditional closer. He's now the best one in the game. It's OK

Not that he wasn't great in '18, but he's somehow been even far better in this role. So even more than just happy, pitching in a role he's more comfortable in has greatly improved his performance.

How is Williams ever going to be Williams of last year if he can’t be counted on to get 1 out in the 6th(8th) of a game in July? It’s just too damn early to be blowing out your pen for W’s. Trust your guys. CC does this so well and it pays off for him often.

How is using Hader for the first time in over a week “blowing out your pen”?

I think a lot of the disagreement with some of these moves is the unwavering use of some pitchers in certain innings regardless of the situation, including where in the order the opponent is and who the hitters are.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I agree, though my personal preference there would have been to trust Burnes and let him try to get that last out. But it worked out.

Hooray for TV graphics!

Also, Hader was bound to blow a save at some point. Is there ever a good time for it? Sigh.

Keep it tied, Josh.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Community Moderator
This really sucks. Not only did we waste a gem against DeGrom but burned both Devin and Hader in Game 1 of a double-header. Hopefully we can still find a way to pull this out.

Using those two and losing with a second game still upcoming would sting a little extra.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived