Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-07, Game 1: Brewers (Burnes) at Mets (deGrom) [Brewers lose, 4-3 in 8 innings -- Hader blows save for 1st time this season]

Eye Black
I think Hader should be removed for the all-star game. Just doesn’t deserve it. No all-star gives up a homer to Peraza.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's one game. Let's not blow it out of proportion. It really sucks to lose a winnable game against a great pitcher but it's happened before and it will happen again.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess he knows Suter better than you do. Sometimes I think Craig believes he's the smartest man (manager) in the room. He really makes some confounding decisions that I believe are really way out there. I guess he has been right (lucky) more often than not this year. However, sometimes I wish he would spend some times to really think things through. :angry

:laughing This one is too good not to pin here on this thread. What an absolutely terrible post.

Certainly one of the more absurd ones I've read today. I totally understand venting after that loss, though. That was brutal.

Thankfully most of the heavy venters didn't feel the Brewers stood any sort of chance against deGrom today anyway, so the venting is at least a little moot.

There's nothing wrong with questioning the decision to go with Suter in the 8th. Plenty of folks didn't like it before the fact and there's reason to second guess that one.

I agree. But please read some of these posts and try to keep a straight face. They’re just comical. It almost makes the loss worth it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Hader should be removed for the all-star game. Just doesn’t deserve it. No all-star gives up a homer to Peraza.

I think it has gotten to the point where I always just assume you are sarcastic.

I think it has gotten to the point where I assume that every post you make is done sarcastically.

It's the "When in Rome" corollary. The funny thing is this post wouldn't even make the Top 10 outlandish IGT posts today, and most of those were written non-sarcastically.

Community Moderator

Per Will Sammon…

Counsell said with LHBs up in the 8th, "That was Brent's inning. We just didn't get it done today." Boxberger would've pitched the next inning.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I mean exactly what I said.

A non strikeout pitcher facing the middle of the order with a runner in second and nobody out is not a promising situation.

Congratulations for being right? I still don't understand the need to be blatantly pessimistic but you do you.

I think hoping for the tie, starting with the runner on 2nd and Suter on the mound, was incredibly optimistic.

Per Will Sammon…

Counsell said with LHBs up in the 8th, "That was Brent's inning. We just didn't get it done today." Boxberger would've pitched the next inning.

Was he ...aware that a runner was starting on 2nd?

Bad decision, worse explanation.

Per Will Sammon…

I don't trust either Suter or Boxberger in that situation. Strickland is the one I would use and hopefully we have some better options at some point as our third reliever besides Suter and Boxberger.

There's nothing wrong with questioning the decision to go with Suter in the 8th. Plenty of folks didn't like it before the fact and there's reason to second guess that one.

You are absolutely correct. Suter would not have been my choice there either and I don't have a problem with people questioning the move, having a bad feeling, etc. There was one person's method of criticizing it that I wasn't a fan of but the act of criticizing the move is more than fair.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I think it has gotten to the point where I assume that every post you make is done sarcastically.

It's the "When in Rome" corollary. The funny thing is this post wouldn't even make the Top 10 outlandish IGT posts today, and most of those were written non-sarcastically.

I just wanted to hop on the crazy caboose for a minute. :laughing

Per Will Sammon…

Counsell has gone from innovative to cookie cutter managing.

Per Will Sammon…

This is very true. His first few seasons his bullpen usage was cutting edge and now he’s a walking baseball cliche from the 90’s.

Per Will Sammon…

Yeah I think it’s going to hold him back a bit but probably still gets enough votes for manager of the year. It’ll be a slimmer victory though I bet as more and more see how truly awful he is.

I mean exactly what I said.

A non strikeout pitcher facing the middle of the order with a runner in second and nobody out is not a promising situation.

Congratulations for being right? I still don't understand the need to be blatantly pessimistic but you do you.

I think hoping for the tie, starting with the runner on 2nd and Suter on the mound, was incredibly optimistic.

Why? How is being that kind of a fan even rewarding? I can get negative and pessimistic with the best of them but expecting defeat before things even start going south just feels masochistic.

I guess it needs to be repeated again for those in back.

HADER IS THE CLOSER

It's the job he wants, and he's really good at it. In fact, despite today's result, he's the best one in MLB at it. And yes, that role entails pitching one inning at a time. He's stated, over and over, that it is what he prefers, rather than being deployed for multiple innings and being down for 2-3 days at a time. He's never, ever going to be used the way he was in 2017-18 again. It is what it is.

Per Will Sammon…

I understand the thinking: lefty-versus-lefty makes sense.

The problem is Suter is not a hard throwing strikeout pitcher. Additionally, the automatic runner on second immediately takes away one of Suter's advantages: deception by working quickly out of the windup. Also Suter actually had a 7BB:29SO ratio versus righties compared to a 7BB:12SO ratio versus lefties so far in 2021. So a lefty makes sense, but does Suter? Love the guy, but even the armchair managers were getting this one right.

Obtaining a late-inning left-handed reliever before the deadline seems like a priority for Stearns & Co.

I think Counsell is a fine manager. Most managers are basically the same anyway and a really good one will probably win you 4 or 5 extra games and a really bad one will probably lose you 4 or 5 games and most are in that range between the two. I would guess their biggest job is managing egos and personalities.

I agree with Counsell on most things. If there's one area I strongly disagree with a lot of his decisions, it's his extra inning bullpen management. Just doesn't seem like he's adapted his thinking for the man at 2nd rule at all. It hasn't come back to bite him often. Today, it did.

I think Counsell is a fine manager. Most managers are basically the same anyway and a really good one will probably win you 4 or 5 extra games and a really bad one will probably lose you 4 or 5 games and most are in that range between the two. I would guess their biggest job is managing egos and personalities.

I agree with Counsell on most things. If there's one area I strongly disagree with a lot of his decisions, it's his extra inning bullpen management. Just doesn't seem like he's adapted his thinking for the man at 2nd rule at all. It hasn't come back to bite him often. Today, it did.

Dang it, logical and well-thought-out criticisms of the manager have no place here! :laughing

(for the record, I agree with this completely)

Suter should not be more than the 5th or 6th option in the bullpen and probably the last guy you want pitching extra innings with the runner on second. Its fine to like Counsell and I do but some of his decisions make no sense with this being one.

Archived