Brewer Fanatic

2021-07-07, Game 1: Brewers (Burnes) at Mets (deGrom) [Brewers lose, 4-3 in 8 innings -- Hader blows save for 1st time this season]

Eye Black
I mean exactly what I said.

A non strikeout pitcher facing the middle of the order with a runner in second and nobody out is not a promising situation.

Congratulations for being right? I still don't understand the need to be blatantly pessimistic but you do you.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mind numbing decision by Counsell to pitch Suter there. The one thing we know about Suter is the higher the leverage situation the lower the performance. You have three live arms out there and you pitch the contact guy?? Incredible . Don't know what else to say.

I mean, Counsell is aware that we have other strikeout pitchers in our pen besides Hader and Williams, right? What a befuddling choice. There's a time and place for Suter. A 1 run lead with a man on 2nd in a sudden death situation ain't it.

If the inning starts with no one on base AND he can just face a left hander or two….then maybe.

It's hard to say Suter disappoints because one expects so little these days. Also, Does Hader turn into a pumpkin after 1 inning?

Hader is used as a 1 inning guy in the interests of longevity. And they would have had to let him hit in the 8th just to get him back out there in which case we wouldn't have had a lead to protect.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hader has now allowed three runs in over half a season. Every once in a while somebody's going to swing really hard and accidentally hit one of his fastball. It happens we can't expect him to pitch a whole season and just not allow runs ever.

Inexplicably, I don't get saving the rest of your good relievers for a save situation later that may not occur. It just doesn't make sense.

Well, I’m expecting to get swept by NY now. Hopefully it doesn’t carry on and end up being a huge losing streak.

The good news is the Mets are probably going with a bullpen game for the 2nd one

Counsell will put out his Sunday lineup. Good thing Robertson isn't on the team anymore.

I’m hoping that Suter can get out of the 8th with a tie.

Yeah, our WE dropped to 17% with the bases loaded and no outs... ties would have been real good

What is it to start the inning with a runner on second and no out? Can’t be much higher than 50%.

It was 58% at that point. It dropped to 50% with the hit batter

Source: https://www.fangraphs.com/liveplays.aspx?date=2021-07-07&team=Mets&dh=1&season=2021

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

That hurts to swing at two balls out of the strike zone against a pitcher having trouble throwing strikes.

You are not really the optimistic sort, are you? :laughing

I guess he knows Suter better than you do. Sometimes I think Craig believes he's the smartest man (manager) in the room. He really makes some confounding decisions that I believe are really way out there. I guess he has been right (lucky) more often than not this year. However, sometimes I wish he would spend some times to really think things through. :angry

Well, I’m expecting to get swept by NY now. Hopefully it doesn’t carry on and end up being a huge losing streak.

The good news is the Mets are probably going with a bullpen game for the 2nd one

Counsell will put out his Sunday lineup. Good thing Robertson isn't on the team anymore.

We are so lucky to have Rowdy the brother of Vogelbach.

Yeah, our WE dropped to 17% with the bases loaded and no outs... ties would have been real good

What is it to start the inning with a runner on second and no out? Can’t be much higher than 50%.

Probably about 90% with Suter out there.

I guess he knows Suter better than you do. Sometimes I think Craig believes he's the smartest man (manager) in the room. He really makes some confounding decisions that I believe are really way out there. I guess he has been right (lucky) more often than not this year. However, sometimes I wish he would spend some times to really think things through. :angry

:laughing This one is too good not to pin here on this thread. What an absolutely terrible post.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He is the smartest man in the room. The problem is the room is full of some really stupid people...

That Adames ab was so bad in the 8th inning too. They had Diaz shook but Brewers just let guys off the hook far too often. Read the situation boys.

He's been great but that was an awful at bat. After two walks and a hit batter you've got to make the pitcher throw strikes and Adames bailed him out. Not only do we have a lot of bad hitters the good ones even don't seem to have much situational awareness.

Did anyone have confidence in Suter in that situation. Its one thing to second guess a decision but that one was as obvious as it gets.

No, in that situation you need a high strikeout guy, which Suter is not. I would have literally went with anybody else.

Suppan in Game 4, Marcum in Game 6….. Suter in extras against heart of order with guy at 2nd in save situation.

Wasn't aware that Counsell was managing in the first two scenarios. You learn something new every day.

Did anyone have confidence in Suter in that situation. Its one thing to second guess a decision but that one was as obvious as it gets.

No, in that situation you need a high strikeout guy, which Suter is not. I would have went with literally anybody else.

Archived