Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade for 1B Rowdy Tellez from Blue Jays

Eye Black

You've got Small, Ashby, Mitchell and Turang...a combination of those 4 should easily get you a big bat, and if you trade all 4+ you should be able to get 2 of them. Done.

That should also get a GM of a small market team fired.

So if trading those 4 gets two big bats and those big bats get you a world series title, you'd still fire him?? Interesting..

So, I wonder if this means we will not be dealing for another "big bat" 1B?

That leaves 3B for offense improvement, unless they are willing to roll with Urias.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So, I wonder if this means we will not be dealing for another "big bat" 1B?

That leaves 3B for offense improvement, unless they are willing to roll with Urias.

I'm still interested in seeing how Urias will continue to perform. Outside of the past 3 games or so he's done reasonably well at 3B. At this point I'm more concerned about bullpen depth.

Joke was on us- we all thought it was sarcasm….

Sure, I was wrong on Adames, he's been great, but he and he alone hasn't fixed the entire lineup issues. Another big bat or two would go a long way...they have got the pitching, for the first time in how many years?? Would be an absolute shame to waste that because the offense can't get out of its own way most of the time.

You know they’re winning as is now, though, right? After all of the offseason complaints about what they did or didn’t do? Perhaps we should learn from that and trust the people in charge to make the appropriate moves? Despite all of the complaints, they’ve more than earned the benefit of the doubt.

This is pretty much the exact response I was thinking as I read through, well said.

It's been several years of winning above expectations, salary, advanced metrics, etc. Yes every year we have to watch people bash the GM and Manager. Lots of things can leave us scratching our head and of course not everything works. But overall we have to trust them at this point that big pic they know what they're doing.

You've got Small, Ashby, Mitchell and Turang...a combination of those 4 should easily get you a big bat, and if you trade all 4+ you should be able to get 2 of them. Done.

That should also get a GM of a small market team fired.

your 100% on that

Community Moderator
Joke was on us- we all thought it was sarcasm….

Sure, I was wrong on Adames, he's been great, but he and he alone hasn't fixed the entire lineup issues. Another big bat or two would go a long way...they have got the pitching, for the first time in how many years?? Would be an absolute shame to waste that because the offense can't get out of its own way most of the time.

You know they’re winning as is now, though, right? After all of the offseason complaints about what they did or didn’t do? Perhaps we should learn from that and trust the people in charge to make the appropriate moves? Despite all of the complaints, they’ve more than earned the benefit of the doubt.

They're winning now, during the regular season, sure. They have done a great job getting to the playoffs, no question about it...BUT, what has happened when they got there?? That's the key. At the end of the day, no one cares what kind of regular season you had, if you don't reach the holy grail. Look at the Bucks. #3 seed this year after being the #1 seed the last two, but got no payoff for those great regular seasons. That's what people remember. Until this year, lower seed in the regular season, but where are they now?? No one cares that they were only the #3 seed in the East this year, do they?? They're in the finals, win it or not, people will remember this season for that.

Conversely, look at the Packers...always great in the regular season, but can't get over the hump in the playoffs. A lot of Arodg's issues are with the lack of FA activity through the years while he's been there. I can't say I blame him one bit. Tampa loaded up for Brady and look what happened?? Not saying it's a guarantee that would happen with the Brewers, but until they reach the holy grail, no one will care they make the playoffs. The window is so small, with three pitchers like they have now, they are set up PERFECTLY for a deep post season run...except for the offense.

Based on the teams' success thus far based on your extremely negative opinion of how the offseason went, what makes you think your assumptions for how the rest of the season/playoff goals will be more accurate than Stearns'?

Tellez statcast numbers, the EV is higher. Has barrelled the ball more times than Yelich has this season in far fewer PAs. Increased his hard hit ball pct every season thus far. His 21HR season would have been 23 in Milwaukee. Consistent around 12 degree Launch angle. So with the EV increase, we could see him hitting a 1b worth of HRs vs what Hiura is trotting out there.

Things that get me on lack of RPs and needing to trade for some....In the Playoffs we are trotting out, expecting, Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta. That takes Anderson, Houser, Lauer out of your starting rotation to be played where from? The bullpen. Houser we know can get it done RH with velocity. Lauer equals extra LH RP. Anderson, I'd imagine is a cleanup role in case of injury or a losing blowout.

As to the option time game log shows Tellez last game for Tor on 18th. So 12 plus 6 today is below 20. Keep him up for the season then option not used correct?

just edit adding that Mitchell was promoted to AA today. CF bat issues may be solved just using him right there.

They're winning now, during the regular season, sure. They have done a great job getting to the playoffs, no question about it...BUT, what has happened when they got there?? That's the key. At the end of the day, no one cares what kind of regular season you had, if you don't reach the holy grail. Look at the Bucks. #3 seed this year after being the #1 seed the last two, but got no payoff for those great regular seasons. That's what people remember. Until this year, lower seed in the regular season, but where are they now?? No one cares that they were only the #3 seed in the East this year, do they?? They're in the finals, win it or not, people will remember this season for that.

Conversely, look at the Packers...always great in the regular season, but can't get over the hump in the playoffs. A lot of Arodg's issues are with the lack of FA activity through the years while he's been there. I can't say I blame him one bit. Tampa loaded up for Brady and look what happened?? Not saying it's a guarantee that would happen with the Brewers, but until they reach the holy grail, no one will care they make the playoffs. The window is so small, with three pitchers like they have now, they are set up PERFECTLY for a deep post season run...except for the offense.

Based on the teams' success thus far based on your extremely negative opinion of how the offseason went, what makes you think your assumptions for how the rest of the season/playoff goals will be more accurate than Stearns'?

Again, what have they done in the postseason after making the playoffs all these years?? His approach has been basically the same...it's good enough to have good regular season success, and get them into the playoffs..but after that? I mean are we supposed to be satisfied with that?? "Good job, great effort"?? I'm not positive my approach would work, but I know for a fact Stearns's hasn't as far as the post season goes. Why not try something different?? Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again hoping for different results?? When you shop at Walmart in the off season for bats, you get the results offensively you had last year and this year. It's simply not good enough

Community Moderator
Again, what have they done in the postseason after making the playoffs all these years??

Got to within a game away from the World Series, and lost a lead via a blown save by our automatic closer to the eventual World Champs. Last year, COVID, meh.

Just to recap- you were completely wrong about the building of the team and in your own evaluation of what they did last winter, but we're supposed to assume that your way is the only path to success from here?

Sarcasm aside, Stearns actually IS the smartest man in the room. Fans are fans.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Again, what have they done in the postseason after making the playoffs all these years?? His approach has been basically the same...it's good enough to have good regular season success, and get them into the playoffs..but after that? I mean are we supposed to be satisfied with that?? "Good job, great effort"?? I'm not positive my approach would work, but I know for a fact Stearns's hasn't as far as the post season goes. Why not try something different?? Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again hoping for different results?? When you shop at Walmart in the off season for bats, you get the results offensively you had last year and this year. It's simply not good enough

"all these years" is three years. They made it to game 7 of the NLCS against the Dodgers who had double the payroll the Brewers have. The Dodgers had to go to the playoffs 8 times in a row before they won it all, but it seems like nothing short of instant gratification is going to win you over here.

Community Moderator

Sort of amazing the number of players the Brewers have recently acquired that had previously been with the Blue Jays…

Justin Smoak, Travis Shaw, Billy McKinney, Derek Fisher, Daniel Vogelbach and Luke Maile. We can add Rowdy Tellez to the list.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Below are some quotes from David Stearns about the trade.

On Rowdy Tellez: “This is a player who has consistently put the bat on the ball and he’s consistently hit the ball hard. Those are two pretty good attributes for major-league hitters. He’s had success in the major leagues. He’s had a long track record of success in the minor leagues. He got off to a little bit of a slow start this year at the major-league level, but we think the underlying ingredients are pretty sound. We think he should be able to perform at the major-league level.”

On bullpen depth: “We’re probably nearing the edge of our depth a little bit and I’m cognizant of that, but in order to make trades like this, where two contending clubs make a deal, we often have to give something up off our major-league club, and we’ve now made two of those.”

As to the option time game log shows Tellez last game for Tor on 18th. So 12 plus 6 today is below 20. Keep him up for the season then option not used correct?

tellez was also optioned on 28 april. he has already spent 20+ days on optional assignment with toronto this year.

Community Moderator

Maybe I was wrong about his defense at 1B. The numbers didn’t look stellar on FanGraphs, but according to the Blue Jays beat reporter for The Athletic, Kaitlyn McGrath, Tellez is solid there…

”If Tellez can regain the consistency he found in 2020, the Brewers are getting a defensively solid first baseman with definite pop from the left side. And after getting squeezed out of Toronto’s plans, a change of scenery in the National League could be what Tellez needs to regain his power stroke.”