Brewer Fanatic

The National

JimH5

The NSCC is the largest sports collectibles show of the year and it's going to be in Rosemont this year, at the end of the month.

Besides rows and rows of everything you can imagine, there are a large number of autograph opportunities. Tristar runs the autograph pavilion.

https://nsccshow.com/home

https://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html

It's been a few years since I've gone to the show, but I might head down on Thursday or Friday.

Anyone else going?

Yep, I plan on going this year. I have a feeling it's going to be absolutely packed, particularly Saturday and Sunday, so my goal is to basically be done by Friday. Hoping all of the newer stuff doesn't infringe on the booths with some good old, beat up, budget-friendly vintage.

• 4 weeks later...

I went on Thursday and met up with BF.net poster and old chum Pedro. The show was overwhelmingly large this year. Maybe because I haven't been to one in 4 years, maybe because of all the traffic in new product, maybe because my age...but that was a lot. Crowds were crazy on what is traditionally the slowest day. I can't imagine what the other days were like.

I did pick up a few Charles Linnett originals that were made to produce his mass produced stadium player prints in the 1970s. The only Brewer that I found and bought was Jerry Bell. But I got a few players in pre- or post-Brewer days. Ben Oglivie, Tommy Harper, John Kennedy & Bobby Darwin. I also picked up two pieces that were drawn by Allen Maver to be used as one-panel sports comics. One was of Warren Spahn late in his career and one of Bill Veeck. And I also picked up a Blu Ray of a recovered film summarizing the 1970 baseball season. Finally, I got a Joe Tinker autograph with JSA letter.

All in all, I thought it was a good show (it runs through tomorrow). Next year is in Atlantic City. I might make the trip, though travel expenses would take a chunk out of my hobby buying budget.

The number of buyers of new cards...especially higher end new cards is really stunning. I can't see the market holding value for the things people are buying--I remember the late 80s and early 90s--but people are having fun with it now. And it was fun seeing so many kids buying packs.

I went on Thursday. I had a prearranged purchase of about 100 auto cards to help with my 1979 set (only 81 cards to go! (Marris/Aaron, Aaron, Munson, and Byron McLaughlin are the toughest left to get, I think).

I really wanted to pick up a Nolan Ryan RC in a PSA 6, and there were some out there. We found a beautiful one that was perfectly centered and the woodgrain borders popped nicely. The guy wanted 2200, but would take trades. And I had cards he wanted. Banks RC, 53 Paige, 54 Jackie, 56 Koufax, but they weren't "graded high enough" for him. If they were graded any higher they woulda surpassed the value of the Nolan. He wouldn't do a combo of cash and trade. I had the cash, but I really wanted to make a trade, so I walked away. Kinda kicking myself but we have home projects and things that are probably more important than bragging rights to put in a showcase right now.

Went through some bargain boxes and got some good cards for under a buck each that go for $8-10. My friend found a /25 Jose Fernandez Saphire rookie in a dollar bin, he just beat me to it.

In hindsight, I should've probably had my eye on a few lesser value cards to pick up, but I've been pretty focused on that card for awhile now. Maybe soon I'll find another I like for a good price.

There's deals to be had there, but it was exhausting. Lots of people, too much to take in at once. I'll go every year it's in Chicago, but I'd rather do something else vacation wise.

Archived