Brewer Fanatic

2021 NBA Finals: Milwaukee Bucks vs Phoenix Suns BUCKS WIN THE TITLE!!!!

homer

Fizer Forum is a big win for the perception the world has of Milwaukee. People saw 65k people standing outside and seeing a beautifully architected building along with a well thought out downtown area. Can you imagine winning and them showing the Bradley Dungeon...er Center?

Downtown is so much more inviting than it was back then.

Word is there will be many more buildings downtown occupying those empty lots next season…It worked perfectly for the Bucks this year. They needed more room for the Deer District in the Fonals and it was there. Bucks might have to get more creative with their spacing if a repeat happens.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
Fizer Forum is a big win for the perception the world has of Milwaukee. People saw 65k people standing outside and seeing a beautifully architected building along with a well thought out downtown area. Can you imagine winning and them showing the Bradley Dungeon...er Center?

Downtown is so much more inviting than it was back then.

Word is there will be many more buildings downtown occupying those empty lots next season…It worked perfectly for the Bucks this year. They needed more room for the Deer District in the Fonals and it was there. Bucks might have to get more creative with their spacing if a repeat happens.

I assume their phones are ringing off the hook with other businesses looking to lease space in any new development. It's huge for Milwaukee to have a destination district in the core of downtown.

It would be great if they set up watch parties for the Brewers playoff games in that space as well.

I have always been confused by the negativity I had heard about the ownership but I am relatively new to the Milwaukee area.

I will tread lightly and attempt to answer this as objectively as possible.

I think some Wisconsin sports fans have difficulty embracing the new ownership group because their political views are different from 50% of the state and there was initial distrust of billionaire owners from New York. Yes, Herb Kohl was a Democrat, but he was a native son and had a good reputation even in right-leaning communities (which he earned over time).

• 2 weeks later...

My almost 5-year-old son really digs the Bucks.

He’s now signed up for a YMCA basketball ‘fundamentals’ class and wants a Bobby Portis jersey (complete with head band) for his birthday. I’m not a huge Bucks fan, but I’m inclined to indulge him because: 1) It’s been fun bonding over sports and 2) I see this as infinitely better than him growing up as some bandwagon LeBron fan.

This got me thinking, kids born after February 6, 2011 have not experienced a Packers’ Super Bowl win, but have now seen the Bucks win the NBA Finals. Will that have a significant impact on the Wisconsin sports landscape?

I mean, in all honesty, a world title for a kid who was even 2- 3 years old at the time probably doesn't mean diddly.

No, probably not. I doubt my son and his friends understand the significance of winning the NBA Finals. They were just happy to see them win a trophy and have a parade. But they all own Bucks t-shirts and argue over who gets to be Giannis at recess. I don’t think there has ever been a group of kids in Green Bay who love the Bucks as much as this current generation.

When I was his age, it was all Packers. The Bucks and Brewers were never on TV, so I rooted for the Braves and the Jazz in the 90s. I didn’t really take an interest in Milwaukee pro sports until college when I listened to the games on AM radio while studying in the evening.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My house has been empty tonight, so I watch a few Bucks related videos, one called "Finding Giannis", one being a recap of the Finals, and the other about Game 6. I can say 20+ days later I am still enjoying the heck out of this.

It is still a bit surreal to watch and realize they really did win it. Giannis talks in the video about him (which I think was from 2019) he is afraid he is going to wake up and him being an NBA player will just be a dream. I totally understand that; there was this little part of me that was worried when watching the Finals recap maybe they didn't really win it. Which made the highlights from game 3, 4, 5, and 6 just a bit sweeter.

My childhood sports experience was built around the 1982 Brewers and the late 1970s and 1980s Packers. I remember thinking after the World Series that losing wasn't a big deal because the Brewers would play in one again. As I got older, and the Brewers didn't return to the WS, and I watched the Packers mired in mediocrity or worse, I began to realize 1982 was a big deal. I was 23 in 1996 and enjoyed that whole season, especially the playoffs and the Super Bowl. I must have watched Super Bowl 31 three times a week through March, not quite believing it actually happened. 2010 was similar, though it was probably around the New England game before I thought it could happen again.

But this Bucks team, given everything that has taken place the last several years, might be the sweetest one I've been around. It sort of makes me wonder just how great it will be when the Brewers break through someday.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

If you want to relive Game 6, this is a good way to do it:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's weird I think my biggest high didn't come from beating the Suns or the Hawks, but from when they beat the Nets.

That series was the best of the whole playoffs so that is understandable.

It was also one of the better playoff series in a long time. That game 7 is one of the better playoff games in any sport for a long time. It was an instant classic.

Having time to soak it all in, game 6 was it. That was the most amazing, almost transcendent performance of this generation in a clinch game. Seeing that play out with *our* guy just refusing to lose and putting it all out there Ina championship performance trumps everything else....imo.

Having time to soak it all in, game 6 was it. That was the most amazing, almost transcendent performance of this generation in a clinch game. Seeing that play out with *our* guy just refusing to lose and putting it all out there Ina championship performance trumps everything else....imo.

I’m with you. There are a lot of great moments from the championship run, but 50 points to close it out? That performance will always stick with me.

Game 5 of the Finals was right up there too. It was really the moment where things shifted from "At least we were in the Finals" to "Wait, I think we are actually going to do this".

that was an amazing game. elite shot making from both teams

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Absolutely all of this and the free throws.

Whoever is saying Game 7 Nets was the best game does not value a championship enough IMO. If you are talking about just a fun game to watch with no horse in the race, sure.

Whoever is saying Game 7 Nets was the best game does not value a championship enough IMO

Lol, OK. This makes no sense considering if the Bucks lose that game there is no championship.

It was the only game that came down to the final possession and the only elimination game for the Bucks against what was most likely the best, and most unlikeable team they played. It was also the only game I was fully convinced they'd lose.

Literally 1" from being eliminated from the playoffs. I saw the Nets as the biggest threat to beat the Bucks, even moreso than the Hawks or Suns, and even without Kyrie or a 100% Harden. It was the biggest hurdle. Plus against the Hawks and Suns there was always a way out if we lost a game we had won, which obviously doesn't exist in a Game 7. Oh, and coming back from being down 3-2.

And what does "doesn't value a Championship enough" even mean? It reads like some kinda assessment of who is the bigger Bucks fan.

Game 7 Nets was an edge of the seat roller coaster ride. Two team duking it out and giving it everything they had. Pretty classic game and pivotal for who wins the championship (if the Nets pull it out, I don't see how they would lose to anyone else). The type of game where you are exhausted mentally/emotionally at the end and just glad your team won it.

Game 6 Suns wasn't nearly so nerve wracking, but very satisfying in that you could enjoy the game for the last 5 min or so with a "I think we have it - please don't blow it" mentality. I was almost giddy at the end because we were in control for so long.

Game 7 was the more epic game, but Game 6 was easier emotionally and finally gave the sense of completion.

I guess it depends on what you like.