Brewer Fanatic

2021 NBA Finals: Milwaukee Bucks vs Phoenix Suns BUCKS WIN THE TITLE!!!!

homer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Obviously with DDV, we would not have seen 30-ish minutes of Patty c in a lot of these games. Dante plays a lot tighter defense and he adds another scoring threat. Not that Patty isn't a good shooter but having another guy who can shoot the ball is never a bad thing.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giannis was just on Instagram Live at the Chik-Fil-A drive-through in Milwaukee ordering a 50-piece nugget meal. The MVP trophy was on his lap, and the Championship trophy was between his legs on the floorboard. Last night he tucked the trophies into bed next to his fiance. Before that they were sitting on his kitchen counter, next to his younger brother, Alex, who was casually eating a frozen TV-style dinner.

That is both the most relatable and quite possibly the least relatable pro athlete actions after winning a championship of all time.

Cruising through Twitter, Facebook, and a few of the comments here this morning, one thing that keeps popping up is "but the nets injuries"

The only thing I have to say about that is this. You go and get three somewhat aging superstars you assume the risk. It's like buying a finicky, used, European supercar. It's going to run sometimes, and sometimes you're going to want to take it out on the weekend but it's in the shop because some piece of electronic equipment on it isn't working the way it needs to work.

Injuries are part of sports. They don't put an asterisk on the championship t-shirts or on the trophy. Nobody's even going to remember the 2020-21 nets. The only people that remember Brian bostic dropping the onside kick in 2014 NFC title game is packer fans. Nobody cares.

Giannis is the king and last night was his coronation.

Cruising through Twitter, Facebook, and a few of the comments here this morning, one thing that keeps popping up is "but the nets injuries"

The only thing I have to say about that is this. You go and get three somewhat aging superstars you assume the risk. It's like buying a finicky, used, European supercar. It's going to run sometimes, and sometimes you're going to want to take it out on the weekend but it's in the shop because some piece of electronic equipment on it isn't working the way it needs to work.

Injuries are part of sports. They don't put an asterisk on the championship t-shirts or on the trophy. Nobody's even going to remember the 2020-21 nets. The only people that remember Brian bostic dropping the onside kick in 2014 NFC title game is packer fans. Nobody cares.

Giannis is the king and last night was his coronation.

Honestly part of what made the Bucks' run special is that we had to win the ECF without our King. It was a tie series and suddenly we had no Giannis and found our backs to the wall.

Injuries happen. We had to overcome ours just like anyone else. It's crazy to think about now. When everyone saw Giannis go down, did anyone think there was an inkling of a chance of him even being on the court again this year?

Name a better combo than Kyrie and watching your team get eliminated while you're on the bench.

The Nets being healthy "next year" is a huge assumption. And how many years is that going to go on anyway before one of them gets bored and goes somewhere else?

The Nets will be the favorite, but I'd be more intimidated by something like Dame going to Philly or Kawhi ending up in Miami. Either of those makes those teams the favorite IMO, and yes, above the Nets.

Giannis was just on Instagram Live at the Chik-Fil-A drive-through in Milwaukee ordering a 50-piece nugget meal. The MVP trophy was on his lap, and the Championship trophy was between his legs on the floorboard. Last night he tucked the trophies into bed next to his fiance. Before that they were sitting on his kitchen counter, next to his younger brother, Alex, who was casually eating a frozen TV-style dinner.

That is both the most relatable and quite possibly the least relatable pro athlete actions after winning a championship of all time.

Respect for the 1/2 lemonade 1/2 Sprite! That's my drink of choice if I have both options at a soda fountain

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Honestly between Nets/Bucks/Lakers/Clips and 2 or 3 others there are a handful of teams that could come away on top next year all with similar odds based on how things unravel. I don't care. I mean repeating would be awesome, and it's possible, but we didn't blow it, the Giannis era has not passed without a championship, and Wisconsin finally has a champion again. That's enough for me right now.

Community Moderator

I'm sure the Bucks/Nets will meet again next year and it will be just as interesting as this year. There will be a different combination of role players and injuries. There is a lot of talent in the western conference but I think many of those teams are 2-3 years behind the Bucks in terms of figuring out the right combination of coaching and supporting talent to go with their young star.

To me the crazy thing is how short the offseason is, especially with the guys going to the Olympics immediately. There's a good chance of a championship hangover in the fall.

Excuses are for LOSERS!!!!

The Nets took the most cynical approach to the NBA. Sign a bunch of old Free Agent Stars and don't worry about the regular season because you just need them to show up for the playoffs and boom you have a Championship. The fact they only played 7 games together during the regular season really meant they were hoping for some all-star performances on the offensive side to get to the Championship circle. No need to work together as a team, no need for defense, just outscore the other team. While other organizations have been successful winning a championship by focusing on a playoff run of stars, no team was so ambivalent to the idea of a "TEAM"... Glad they are the ones making the excuses and I hope the same in 2022...

I'm sure the Bucks/Nets will meet again next year and it will be just as interesting as this year. There will be a different combination of role players and injuries. There is a lot of talent in the western conference but I think many of those teams are 2-3 years behind the Bucks in terms of figuring out the right combination of coaching and supporting talent to go with their young star.

To me the crazy thing is how short the offseason is, especially with the guys going to the Olympics immediately. There's a good chance of a championship hangover in the fall.

To repeat next year (especially against a healthy Nets team), the Bucks need to replace DDV with a better starting SG. DDV is the weak link in the Bucks starting lineup. The Bucks also have to retain Portis, he's the perfect center in the Bucks system with his shooting, offense, rebounding, hustle and energy.

To repeat next year (especially against a healthy Nets team), the Bucks need to replace DDV with a better starting SG. DDV is the weak link in the Bucks starting lineup. The Bucks also have to retain Portis, he's the perfect center in the Bucks system with his shooting, offense, rebounding, hustle and energy.

I completely disagree. You can't replace DDV with anyone as the Bucks don't have the cap room to do that. DDV maybe the weak link in the Bucks starting lineup but he is a really good defender at SG. He can also score rather reliably while he is not on the level of Middleton or Holiday he is definitely a good 4th option on the team as a scorer. Portis is also signed for next year as he signed a 2-year deal in the off season so he will be here for the 2021-2022 season.

I think the Nets will be the favored team next year - but it's very tentative. And that's most because of age, injury history, plus the whole chemistry thing. Who knows how these guys (Kyrie and Harden, specifically) can shelve their egos for the better of the team.

I should add that this is not by a lot. The Bucks will be right up there with them. The Bucks are younger and have played together for a while. You can't beat that sort of experience.

No matter, should be fun. Again.

Bucks are limited on what they can do financially next year. That almost assuredly means DDV will be back. He's a good player - and the club is better with him. But I doubt we are getting anyone else.

Portis and Tucker are the next guys on the list. I expect Portis is gone. Someone will give him a lot more money than we will offer - and a bigger role. Can't blame him if he takes it.

Tucker is interesting as he is a limited player - but what he does he does very well. Will someone overpay for him? Not sure. He's a good guy to have.

The big thing for Milwaukee will be how much they are willing to spend over the luxury cap. In the NBA, going over the cap is pretty harsh.

Giannis, Middleton, Holiday, Lopez, DDV and Pat C make $129M. Plus we have $5M in stretched salaries. That means $134M.

The estimated Salary Cap next season is $115M. The Luxury cap is $140M. We've got a few young guys to pay minimal money - plus our 2nd round pick. Those will all get us near the Luxury Cap. Once you go past $140M, you pay the following penalties:

- $0-5MM above tax line: $1.50 per dollar (up to $7.5MM)

- $5-10MM above tax line: $1.75 per dollar (up to $8.75MM)

- $10-15MM above tax line: $2.50 per dollar (up to $12.5MM)

- $15-20MM above tax line: $3.25 per dollar (up to $16.25MM)

Thus, if you give Bobby Portis $10M, and drive your total to $150M - you are then subject to penalties of $14.25M. And so you ask, is Bobby Portis worth nearly $25M?

So even though we can resign Portis and Tucker and Forbes - the cost of doing so gets very expensive - very quickly.

I think we will do something similar to past year - find veterans willing to fill those slots for near minimum pay. It's not ideal, but that's how things work.

Community Moderator

The good news is that there will be a fresh crop of veterans looking to sign 1-year deals to win a championship with Giannis. I don't want to discount what guys like Tucker and Portis have done, but they are replaceable.

DDV is a nice young talent who had an exceptional year. The Nets' series would have been entirely different with Donte around and a healthy Kyrie. Who knows how it will play out next year but it would certainly be competitive on paper.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/21/bobby-portis-found-happiness-refusing-knicks-for-bucks-run/

Portis really does seem to love it here, but agreed it's a pretty big stretch to go from loving it here to exercising a way under market player option to stay here.

he won his championship, i think its fair for him to want to get paid.

Well of course. I wouldn't begrudge him one second for leaving.

The good news is that there will be a fresh crop of veterans looking to sign 1-year deals to win a championship with Giannis. I don't want to discount what guys like Tucker and Portis have done, but they are replaceable.

DDV is a nice young talent who had an exceptional year. The Nets' series would have been entirely different with Donte around and a healthy Kyrie. Who knows how it will play out next year but it would certainly be competitive on paper.

Just thinking about what “crop of vets” is out there this summer. Do you have any possibles?

Growing up in Janesville and then moving to Mayville when I was in 6th grade, the Bucks were my team. Jordan was always my guy, but the Bucks were my team. I hadn't really followed them super closely in years, but watching the end of the game and the celebration made me smile. Even though I'm a Texan now, Wisconsin always has and will have a special place in my heart. I'm not only happy for the team, but for the city and the state. What a great night last night!

Just thinking about what “crop of vets” is out there this summer. Do you have any possibles?

a few big guys that could replace Portis

Patrick Patterson

Markieff Morris

Hassan Whiteside

Here is a list sorted by last years salary

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Im not a big championship merchandise guy since they are cool for about a year or so and then go in the back of the closet or the bottom of the dresser. I was happy to see polos available and snagged one online today.

By the way, went to Kohls in Menomonee Falls at lunch today for something different. It was all there and it was a madhouse of those getting what they can.