Brewer Fanatic

Relief Pitcher Availability

The Brewers could use another high leverage bullpen arm. Below are some available arms that could help down the stretch.

1. Caleb Smith (L), D-Backs: Actually as a spot or split game starter, too.

2. Jose Ciserno ®, Tigers: Older player who should come relatively cheap.

3. Ian Kennedy ®, Rangers: Older player who should com relatively cheap.

4. John Sobrz ®, Rangers: Texas should be dumping players for prospects and Sobrz has great numbers.

5. Hansel Robles ®: Older player who should come cheap.

6-7. Scott Barlow ® and Jake Brentz (L), Royals: Cost controlled, Kansas City may be asking for quite a bit.

8-9. Paul Fry ® and Tanner Scott (L), Orioles: See Barlow and Brentz.

10. Richard Rodrigues ®, Pirates: I see a bidding war at the player deadline.

Community Moderator
Since being moved to the bullpen (well, and aside from last year's weirdness), Kennedy has been a really good reliever. If they do call on Gallo as I'd like the Brewers to, I'd work with the Rangers to bring Kennedy back too.

I wonder if a guy like Kendall Graveman would be a less expensive target, he's having a real nice season this year as the Mariners' closer but his prior years as a starter aren't great so all his value feels dependent on this year. He's a FA after this season so the M's shouldn't be adverse to a reasonable trade. He's also signed to a cheap contract so salary isn't a factor.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I expect Houser to be a key contributor to the bullpen sometime late this season.

He's solidly entrenched as the 4th starter at this point.

Maybe he means in the playoffs. I'd agree with that.

Community Moderator
Is there any chance the Twins would consider moving Taylor Rogers? If so, I assume he would be a costly acquisition since he has 1.5 years remaining on his contract. He could certainly be an impact bullpen arm for someone.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Is there any chance the Twins would consider moving Taylor Rogers? If so, I assume he would be a costly acquisition since he has 1.5 years remaining on his contract. He could certainly be an impact bullpen arm for someone.

Everyone is available for the right price, given Rogers team remaining team control and skill at pitching, Milwaukee would likely find the price unpalatable.

Community Moderator

Rogers will be interesting to keep an eye on for sure, especially as a value comparison for Hader.

Since 2017 among relievers...

Rogers | 245 IP (18th) | 64 ERA- (14th) | 66 FIP- (13th) | 6.8 rWAR (6th) | 6.0 fWAR (8th) | WPA +7.09 (8th) | 28.1 K% (53rd)

Hader | 256 IP (12th) | 53 ERA- (2nd) | 60 FIP- (5th) | 10.0 rWAR (1st) | 8.1 fWAR (1st) | WPA +12.36 (1st) | 44.3 K% (1st)

If Taylor is dealt, you could probably add a top 25-50ish prospect to the package to get an idea for a Hader deal considering Josh is better, younger & has an additional year of team control remaining.

If the Angels are open to dealing him, Raisel Iglesias is a free agent next year and he would be a huge addition to the Brewers pen.

A few other interesting but not as exciting rental relievers:

Yimi Garcia

Kendall Graveman

Brad Brach

Daniel Norris (poor ERA, but he's got a solid K/9, a .403 BABIP going against him, and a 3.71 xFIP)

Hector Santiago (nice #'s this year, but we'll have to see if they stick after his suspension)

I wonder if DS is looking at a Right or Lefty.

If Strickland continues to perform, I'm not sure another addition is needed. He's been part of winning teams and gives him that extra veteran they can turn to. Let's see how he's doing through this tougher stretch of schedule.

If the Angels are open to dealing him, Raisel Iglesias is a free agent next year and he would be a huge addition to the Brewers pen.

Let's run with Iglesias for a bit. The Angels are 5.5 back of the wild card, with four teams ahead of them. Probably the best reliever that will be available, but a free agent and making over $9M this year will dampen his value a bit.

What would it take to get Iglesias? They definitely need starting pitching and have nothing at the upper levels for prospects other than last year's #10 overall pick Detmers. Bettinger + one of Cantrelle/Rodriguez? Bettinger + Zamora?

If CLE continues to fall out of the race for a post-season spot, an additional name to consider trading for: RHP Nick Wittgren

Under most radars & is more effective then people realize.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ni01.shtml

He could solidify the pen in the 6th/ 7th innings and could also step in if needed late in the game should one of the regular back-end arms be unavailable on a given day..

If CLE continues to fall out of the race for a post-season spot, an additional name to consider trading for: RHP Nick Wittgren

Under most radars & is more effective then people realize.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ni01.shtml

He could solidify the pen in the 6th/ 7th innings and could also step in if needed late in the game should one of the regular back-end arms be unavailable on a given day..

He's a ground ball pitcher but when hitters get it in the air it's usually struck pretty hard. In fact, his homeruns allowed per 9 would lead the Brewers. Given he has a year of team control remaining and he's on the cost conscious Indians, I doubt the potential price in terms of talent going back to Cleveland would make it unlikely.

Archived