Brewer Fanatic

2021-06-30: Cubs (Arrieta) at Brewers (Ashby) [Brewers win, 15-7 -- Cubs score 7 in 1st inning; Crew responds with 15 unanswered]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I also agree that it does as it's not one game it's the equivalent of two games, up 6 versus 4. And I don't care that he has a MLB-caliber arm (I agree) but he was clearly not pitching well in the minors over the past three weeks with a WHIP over 2. There had to be a better option.

Lindblom would have probably been a better option on paper. That if they had gone that route, it would have been panned here. Hard.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The easy thing to do would be to shove out their best as much as they can and if they run out of gas, they’d have a built in excuse.

Again, for most of us arguing that Burns should have pitched today, this is not what we are saying at all. You can accomplish the same objective and give starters just as much rest by being strategic about when you do it. When did they start the 6 man rotation - wasn't it not until the beginning of June (maybe I'm wrong)? They could have started it earlier - like late mid/late May. Plan the pitching schedule and rest while keeping key series against teams you are battling in mind.

It’s Burnes and the Brewers like their schedule and usually stick to it. We always see guys not in the lineup after a hot night at the plate. They do things differently. It seems to work for them.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I totally get the need for load management.

I am just trying to understand why the Burnes start couldn't have been today against the Cubs and the bullpen day tomorrow against the Pirates.

That is all.

See, you are viewing giving Ashby a start as a predetermined loss. I'm not. Not sure I'm going to be able to understand your viewpoint, and you obviously are ignoring mine. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Perhaps starting Ashby is not an "automatic loss". But c'mon - Burns clearly gives the Brewers a better chance of winning over Ashby/bullpen. Did not look at the lines, but I'm guessing that the Brewers may not have bee favored to win this game.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator
I do think it’s possible that in addition to limiting innings over the course of the season, the Brewers may believe the extra rest day improves pitcher performance. On the whole it’s tough to argue with the success that strategy has brought so far this season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Regardless of todays results I don't like a first time starter pitching against the team we are fighting for the division against. Much rather have the first start for any pitcher be against a lesser team.

In the Brewers' defense, the Cubs are pretty much marching out a AAAA lineup with a few stalwarts sprinkled in. Pirates might actually be better offensively right now as long as the Cubs are down Rizzo and Bryant.

I am just trying to understand why the Burnes start couldn't have been today against the Cubs and the bullpen day tomorrow against the Pirates.

That is all.

See, I get this argument. You are basically saying that the Brewers should be playing matchups better. That is a solid, logical argument. One that's difficult to disagree with given the circumstances.

That is all.

They don’t want to start Burnes on 4-days rest is my guess. They want to stick to a schedule of 5-days right now.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That is all.

See, I get this argument. You are basically saying that the Brewers should be playing matchups better. That is a solid, logical argument. One that's difficult to disagree with given the circumstances.

Thats what all of us who wanted to start Burnes are saying. I think most if not all of us are ok with the 6 man rotation but were in favor of Burnes starting today because of the opponent.

That is all.

Thats what all of us who wanted to start Burnes are saying. I think most if not all of us are ok with the 6 man rotation but were in favor of Burnes starting today because of the opponent.

Not really. It sounds as if some posters, including yourself, wanted the plan changed to move Burnes up to start today. adambr2 is arguing that Burnes starting today should have been the plan all along. Those are two very different scenarios, especially when you are talking about MLB starting pitchers who are very set in their ways and routines. They typically don't adjust well to change without a lot of warning.

That is all.

Does it make a difference if they win today and lose tomorrow instead though? Either way they are going 1-1 over the next two days..at this point in the season I think you need to just try to rack up wins and not worry about the opponent.

The guys who suggested that maybe the Brewers saw something with Burnes' recent starts to suggest he could be more effective on 5 days rest versus 4 bring up a solid theory that I hadn't considered. If the extra day makes a big difference in Burnes' performance, I can understand it's worth it.

I appreciate the thought and logic rather than just being told that I'm beating a dead horse or will be mad when our starters are injured because of excessive workload next year. I am not naive to the fact that this is generally a well-managed team, and I understand that there are certain intracies with the team that we can't know. I just like to try to dig into the rationale of decisions that I don't understand.

Does it make a difference if they win today and lose tomorrow instead though? Either way they are going 1-1 over the next two days..at this point in the season I think you need to just try to rack up wins and not worry about the opponent.

Yes, it does make a difference. If the Brewers win today and lose tomorrow, they are either 5 or 6 games up. If they lose today and win tomorrow, they are either 4 or 5 games up. Today's game counts twice as much in the standings (assuming Pittsburgh is not a threat to win the division).

Archived