Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Ashby called up

jonescm128

Well, you got the “one time through the order” part right.

I’m hoping this isn’t a repeat of the last time we started a rookie in his big league debut on getaway day. If my memory serves right, we got blown out by the Dodgers at home and then went on a long losing streak during a road trip to Philadelphia and someplace else.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, you got the “one time through the order” part right.

I’m hoping this isn’t a repeat of the last time we started a rookie in his big league debut on getaway day. If my memory serves right, we got blown out by the Dodgers at home and then went on a long losing streak during a road trip to Philadelphia and someplace else.

Yep. That was the Bettinger nightmare game.

No problem. He's still a good prospect. Now send him down and let him work on what he learned in his initial outing as a big leaguer.

Personally, I'd put him back in the AAA rotation, as his problems seem to have started when he was bumped to the bullpen, and we may need him as a starter again before the end of the season. But, however they use him, today should not be looked at as any kind of precursor to what we should expect to see out of him in the future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member
No problem. He's still a good prospect. Now send him down and let him work on what he learned in his initial outing as a big leaguer.

Personally, I'd put him back in the AAA rotation, as his problems seem to have started when he was bumped to the bullpen, and we may need him as a starter again before the end of the season. But, however they use him, today should not be looked at as any kind of precursor to what we should expect to see out of him in the future.

I keep thinking about the complete disaster show Corbin Burnes was for an entire MLB season. 50 IPs of nearly 9 ERA "pitching" in 2019. It will forever give me hope for young pitchers with good stuff and terrible results.

It seems like young pitchers have been having a hard time lately. Spencer Howard and Matt Manning are some other top pitching prospects with big struggles.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

- family life the other side of the ocean -

yesterday:

My wife: we go out for dinner?

me: nope, I have to see Aaron Ashby Major League debut.

this morning:

wife: how it went?

me: it was the worst Major League debut in the modern era.

I'm just waiting for a Brewers rookie to have a lights out debut, like all of the rookies who start against the Brewers.

Freddy Peralta did with that 13k performance at Coors. Woody went 6.1 scoreless in his debut. Burnes didn't start in his debut, but recorded a 2-inning save.

I'm just waiting for a Brewers rookie to have a lights out debut, like all of the rookies who start against the Brewers.

I thought I remembered the other Woody having a spectacular debut and was right. I'm sure there are more

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-28-1997-brewers-steve-woodard-whiffs-12-in-first-big-league-start/

this article brings up a lot of fun names from the past. these late 90's teams were that good, but I had fun watching them.

Verified Member

I thought I remembered the other Woody having a spectacular debut and was right. I'm sure there are more

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-28-1997-brewers-steve-woodard-whiffs-12-in-first-big-league-start/

this article brings up a lot of fun names from the past. these late 90's teams were that good, but I had fun watching them.

Woodard and Chris Saenz are the two that stand out for me. Saenz in particular as it was the only time he ever appeared in a major league game and he threw 6 shutout innings, striking out 7.

Woodard and Chris Saenz are the two that stand out for me. Saenz in particular as it was the only time he ever appeared in a major league game and he threw 6 shutout innings, striking out 7.

completely forgot about Saenz

• 1 month later...

Good performance by Ashby. Too bad the rain limited the start, but now he has something positive to work from. He's a talented young pitcher who has a bright future with the Brewers.

I think he could be one of the September call-ups (if he's not up before then), and with Anderson being a free agent after the season, he should be fighting with Houser and Lauer for the #4/5 spots in the rotation next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

aaron ashby has been returned to class aaa nashville. interesting that it wasn't noted as an optional assignment . . . perhaps being the 27th man allows for the interruption of the 10-day requisite of being on optional assignment without restarting the clock?

Lorenzo Cain on Aaron Ashby, who made his relief debut today and hopes to be this year's version of '18 Burnes and Woodruff: "The kid’s filthy. He’s throwing mid- to upper 90s with a filthy changeup. I mean, the guy is absolutely it. He’s the real deal."

Lorenzo Cain on Aaron Ashby, who made his relief debut today and hopes to be this year's version of '18 Burnes and Woodruff: "The kid’s filthy. He’s throwing mid- to upper 90s with a filthy changeup. I mean, the guy is absolutely it. He’s the real deal."

Absolutely… impressed to the max with him today. A 99 mph fastball with that movement and the offspeed stuff for strikes. Great to see…. Pencil him in the rotation for 2022. Also, he should be a cog here on out either in the pen or rotation. Borderline crazy to send him down now…

Archived