Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Ashby called up

jonescm128

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure how reliable this is since I have not seen it from any legit team sources but...

https://twitter.com/CrowderBasebal1/status/1409899659494035463?s=20

https://twitter.com/GeorgeBalekji/status/1409908269712297988?s=20

Odd timing, we don’t have a pen arm that needs to be replaced. Cousins and Sanchez have thrown well in their first few appearances. I doubt it’s to replace Boxberger, Richards, or Strickland.

Not sure how reliable this is since I have not seen it from any legit team sources but...

Odd timing, we don’t have a pen arm that needs to be replaced. Cousins and Sanchez have thrown well in their first few appearances. I doubt it’s to replace Boxberger, Richards, or Strickland.

Won't hurt with tomorrow likely a bullpen day. Still should be well covered with Suter, Cousins, Sanchez, and Ashby all being able to go multiple innings.

The only thing I can think of is adding another lefty to the pen to combat some of the Cubs lefties and sending Cousins or Sanchez down but they really haven't warranted a demotion.

Still haven't seen anything from legit sources so who knows

The tweets aren't loading for me. It is also odd since he hasn't exactly been lighting it up since moving to the bullpen.

If true, I agree with JCREW that he would replace Reyes to have an extra pitcher for a potential bullpen game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah looks like they were deleted. Locking the thread for now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

It’s confirmed per Jeff Passan:

Milwaukee is calling up left-hander Aaron Ashby, sources tell ESPN. Very impressive in spring training and has struck out 56 in 38 IP at AAA. Has also issued 24 walks. Expected to work out of the bullpen. Along with Ethan Small, he’s part of Brewers’ next generation of pitchers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Aaron’s uncle Andy Ashby made his MLB debut 30 years ago (June 10, 1991) also at age 23, and accumulated 21.5 bWAR over 14 major league seasons. Ashby was a two-time All Star selection.

Here’s hoping Aaron has a similarly long lasting and productive major league career.

Goal is that he is the next in the line of our pitching prospects that comes up and throws some gas out of the pen for a couple innings, then moves into the rotation next year. Struggled with the move to the bullpen in AAA, so wouldn't be surprised if he makes the Nashville-Milwaukee trip a few times.

Community Moderator
Or are the Brewers going Johnny Wholestaff for Wednesday and they need a multi-inning arm for reinforcements?

I believe part of the reason for the timing is tomorrow’s likely bullpen game approach.

The pitching choices tonight do lean toward an Ashby start tomorrow. Thought process makes sense - give the start to the guy used to starting who had some struggles out of the pen, even if he's going two innings.

I wonder if this will be a short term call up, He really hasn't done much to warrant a call-up once moved to the pen, but his strike out numbers are pretty good and he impressed me in the spring.

Given that they’ll need available relievers tomorrow, this logically is a 1-day call up.

I'm sure CC has his reasons, but...

- But after getting 2 hits in an inning!...why would he bench JBJ the next day? Jackie's always been streaky, so maybe, with a little success on Monday, he could keep playing? Hell, we've had to endure Bradley's barrages of 0-for-4's, so even if he did draw a collar last night, so?

- But with the chance to really step on the Cubs today, like a cigarette butt, why experiment with Ashby now? The freakin' Pirates are up next, and Burnes could've sent Chicago's batters into a deep funk for the weekend.

- But if Ashby needs a roster spot, which reliever gets demoted? Didn't seem like the best timing all around.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Never said CC was wrong or crazy or anything, but record aside, wouldn't you want to squeeze the life out of the Cubs today with a sweep?

Just questioning the timing of all this, which is what a fan forum is all about, right?

I hope like hell, I'm proven wrong!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Never said CC was wrong or crazy or anything, but record aside, wouldn't you want to squeeze the life out of the Cubs today with a sweep?

Just questioning the timing of all this, which is what a fan forum is all about, right?

I hope like hell, I'm proven wrong!

You don’t squeeze the life out of them right now though. If they lose today or win today, there is still a long ways to go in this season. CC has always been great at recognizing that and that and puts our team in a good position at the end of the season to be in the mix.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Ashby was more effective starting the first month at Nashville. I think the move to the pen was a temporary move as they figured he'd have more value as a reliever in 2021. Long term I think they view him as a starter. The injury to Anderson, and the failure of anyone to step up as the 7th starter, makes this the logical move. I think Counsell will use him 3 innings or basically one time through the order.

Archived