Brewer Fanatic

Help from the minors

clancyphile

Could the help the Brewers are seeking come from the minors?

One of the nice things about "buying" from the minors is that it really won't cost anything.

Just a few thoughts on who could force their way up.

Cooper Hummel: 1.182 OPS. 16:14 BB:K ratio. Cooper Hummel's proving that 2019 - when the only players he trailed in wRC+ were a couple of guys named Hiura and Grisham - wasn't a fluke. Now, a 1.182 may not happen in Milwaukee, but even an .882 OPS would be 112 points higher than that of current RF Avisail Garcia. While he's primarily played left field, he has seen some action in right, and could be not just a third catcher, but he's also had some appearances on the mound.

Weston Wilson: He's had an .897 OPS at Nashville. That's 55 points below Hernan Perez's figure. But Wilson is Hernan Perez... minus the speed (his career high is 12 steals in 2019 - Perez stole over 30 in the majors) and experience in center field (a grand total of one game in his minor-league career), but he brings much better OBP skills and a bit more power to go with the ability to play six positions (all four IF, LF, RF) and handle an appearance or two on the mound.

These two are definite upgrades over Tim Lopes and Pablo Reyes.

Aaron Ashby: A starting prospect who could take the bullpen-for-the-first-half-season approach that a couple of guys named Burnes and Woodruff took.

Quintin Torres-Costa: 13.5 K/9, 0 HR surrendered in 18.2 IP.

Luke Barker: 0.646 WHIP worth a look.

Bowden Francis: Worth a look - 2.7 BB/9, 10.0 K/9.

Josh Lindblom: Maybe, like Hiura, time in AAA has helped him sort stuff out - 0.73 ERA, 0 HR, 1.014 WHIP

EDIT: Confused the Ashbys.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hummel probably doesn't have the arm to play RF on a consistent basis. If he did, he'd be seeing time there. The Brewers sure as heck aren't going to put their top power threat in Garcia on the bench to play a 26 year old rookie at a spot he's really never played. Hummel's best route to the majors is probably should something happen to Yelich (knock on wood)

Wilson I could see up at some point, as he's the type of "jack of all trades" player that Counsell really seems to like. I doubt he has a chops to play SS at the MLB level, though, which is going to limit his opportunities over a guy like Robertson.

Andy Ashby is nearly 54 years old, and retired 17 years ago. Aaron Ashby will likely see some big league time if he can keep his command under control, though.

QTC - His K/9 numbers are great, but everything else is UGLY. I mean, maybe if he gets hot, but I imagine he's not real high on the totem pole right now.

I agree that Lindblom is likely the next starter to get the call (likely this week), and Francis is a tick behind him.

Lindblom maybe as a "Once through the rotation" starter like Miley was a couple of years ago. Maybe team him up with Sutor and try to get 6 innings out of the pair.

I would give Barker a shot. His number have always been good and he is a big boy. I don't know what kind of stuff he has though.

Help? Who needs help when they just keep churning out W's.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived