Brewer Fanatic

Josh Hader appreciation thread

markedman5

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will also find me on the record in favor of getting him dealt for the best offer available. Thankfully the front office doesn't look here to see what opinions I have to run with.

Exactly the same here! So glad they didnt listen to my well-informed opinions!

Hader was the most logical trade candidate both this past offseason and last trade deadline to address the team's holes. Considering both his absurd success and the relatively weak performance of the bullpen, holding on to him was the best way to address a hole in the team, it turned out....

Josh Hader has always seemed, at least to me, an essential part of winning a World Series. If you get to the postseason elite relievers can be a real game changer. Most winners have one of the better closers in the game.

Trading Hader and trying to win a World Series is a combination that doesn’t make a ton of sense.

It's odd but I sort of feel more confident in this team to win the WS than the one a few years ago. It's a relative long shot, but I just see this one as built to have a chance in a series format. It seems like you have a chance of an offense getting timely hits vs. trotting out Chacin etc. against the Dodgers. And I know Chacin was good that year.

It's odd but I sort of feel more confident in this team to win the WS than the one a few years ago. It's a relative long shot, but I just see this one as built to have a chance in a series format. It seems like you have a chance of an offense getting timely hits vs. trotting out Chacin etc. against the Dodgers. And I know Chacin was good that year.

I completely agree...pitching wins in October and these starters combined with days off that will allow for Williams, Hader, and maybe one more strong pen arm to be going in almost every game won't need many runs to win 4 times in 7 games.

Plus just having Woodruff, Burnes, or Peralta to turn to in an elimination game gives me a lot more confidence than somebody like Marcum or Chacin.

Yeah, when 100% of your important innings are going to feature Freddy, Woodruff, Burnes, Hader, and the lesser combo of Williams and Boxberger, likely with Houser or Richards or hopefully a good Strickland or even Suter serving as bridge, you're in good shape.

The pitching stable is going to be very good. If this team gets there, it'll be built right.

I wanted him traded after the WC play-in loss. I thought he was another Brewers reliever who'd have a "moment" and never be the same again.

I was one of those who couldn't understand the talk around here and elsewhere of trading Hader.

I completely agree...pitching wins in October and these starters combined with days off that will allow for Williams, Hader, and maybe one more strong pen arm to be going in almost every game won't need many runs to win 4 times in 7 games.

Plus just having Woodruff, Burnes, or Peralta to turn to in an elimination game gives me a lot more confidence than somebody like Marcum or Chacin.

this

I wanted him traded after the WC play-in loss. I thought he was another Brewers reliever who'd have a "moment" and never be the same again.

I was one of those who couldn't understand the talk around here and elsewhere of trading Hader.

It wasn't really based in reason. Just being a WI sports fan and seeing our superstar sort of blow it on the biggest stage of the year. I just assumed he'd crater into another flame-throwing 5 ERA reliever that had his confidence wrecked.

Verified Member

It wasn't really based in reason. Just being a WI sports fan and seeing our superstar sort of blow it on the biggest stage of the year. I just assumed he'd crater into another flame-throwing 5 ERA reliever that had his confidence wrecked.

I wanted to trade him badly, and it was definitely based on reason. However, that was mostly before he decided to throw his slider for strikes, let alone a changeup too. And it was before Burnes and Peralta decided to pitch like the blue chip prospects that they never were (prospects rankings can be soooo spurious). I also wanted a significant return which obviously was never offered.

I wanted to trade him, but it had nothing to do with doubting his abilities, or having anything to do with the WC loss or his "down year" in 2020. He is one of the very best reilevers in the game, and I never doubted that. It's more of a long-term thing; if Brewers want to keep Hader long term they'll need to pay something similar to what Chapman got (5 years 86 million, with opt-out, and now on a 3 year 48m dfeal). Now will they do that? If the answer is "no" (Which it probably is), then at some point they should look to trade him. That point might have been last year, this year, next year, or when he's a rental. But at some point they should, and by all accounts were looking to.

What I am glad for is that they stuck to their guns, if we are to believe reports about the "ridiculous" asking price. Simply because they didn't need to trade him now. So hold on until someone gets desperate enough to meet the asking price. And until that happens, just enjoy the show.

Josh Hader is unscored upon in 30 of his 32 appearances this season (31.2ip, 2er), including each of his last 16 outings (16ip). His season ERA is 0.57. He has 53 K and opponents are batting .106 (11-for-104). Hader has not allowed a hit in his last 7 outings (7ip). #Brewers

Sometimes the best value a team can get out of a young, stud reliever during a period of time you hope to compete is to simply let him pitch for you until his free agent year, then see if you are in it at all come July 1 of that season before deciding whether to deal him for prospects at the deadline.

Hader has proven to be more valuable to the Brewers than just about any theoretical trade return they could have gotten for him the past few offseasons, and I'm glad they've held onto him.

The one mistake I hope the Brewers don't make is giving Hader a huge extension before he hits free agency. If they lose him to a team offering the moon, so be it. If some team offers the moon in terms of trade value in the 2023 offseason with one year left of team control, I'd be ok with a trade because its unlikely they can or should give him a market value longterm extension.

My only beef is they save him for the 9th, instead of in that "Fireman" role he had in 2017-2018. He gets anywhere from 3-8 outs, then hands it over to a closer for the 9th (say, Devin Williams or a re-signed Jeremy Jeffress).

Yeah I’m fine with the way they are using him……and I have a feeling Hader would be pissed off in a major way if he was moved out of the closers role now.

My only beef is they save him for the 9th, instead of in that "Fireman" role he had in 2017-2018. He gets anywhere from 3-8 outs, then hands it over to a closer for the 9th (say, Devin Williams or a re-signed Jeremy Jeffress).

Yeah I’m fine with the way they are using him……and I have a feeling Hader would be pissed off in a major way if he was moved out of the closers role now.

I wouldn't mess with him only pitching one inning. But it sure would be nice to save him for the 10th inning in some of these games.

I had the same thought. Do people think it is wiser to use Hader in the 9th inning of a tie game or the 10th? His strikeout prowless is extra valuable with a runner starting on second base, but if you don't use him in the 9th in a tie game, he might not get the chance. I can see both ways. What do others think?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He's said repeatedly that he prefers the role he has now compared to his previous role you described. He's also at the point in his career where you want to make him happy and comfortable.