Brewer Fanatic

daniel vogelbach injury thread

djoctagone
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depending on when the rehab assignment starts, the club could stretch out his minor league assignment the full 20 days, which means a return to the roster (or release) by mid-august.

the brewers have off days 16 and 23 august until rosters expand to 28. do those off days afford the club to carry just 12 or 13 pitchers instead of the 14 they are currently carrying?

i think many would agree that daniel vogelbach would benefit from some time with nashville to find his stroke again. it's a convenient way to manage a guy who's out of options.

• 2 weeks later...
it usually means that a new injury has occurred, or the initial injury has re-emerged. he has to be shut down for at least five days, and then the brewers can start another rehab assignment for him, which can last up to 20 days.

It means he’s not eligible to play in rehab games but the brewers will likely work him out for a few days before making a decision

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they felt covered in the OF with Taylor and Peterson, and they DFAd JBJ

Brewers would have to eat over 15 million to DFA JBJ.

Don't think they value Vogelbach quite that highly, especially since he'd really only be on the roster to pinch hit.

Vogelbach was hot before the injury, hot in AAA, and is a likely cheap DH for our 8 remaining AL road games and for next year

I wouldn’t be shocked if someone else with a nagging injury were put on IL for Vogey, but there’s a point where we already have redundancy in the OF

Vogelbach is probably third in line for 1B starts at this point behind Tellez and Escobar, so I don't see why we would want to add him to the 25-man right now. But we also don't want to DFA him. So time for some creative injuries/rehabbing :laughing

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they felt covered in the OF with Taylor and Peterson, and they DFAd JBJ

This would be extremely shocking considering JBJ is signed for another season (and will likely rebound to being at the very least a very nice fourth outfielder).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If they can't pull off some musical chairs type stuff and Vogey actually comes off the DL soon I would have to think he's gone or Tyrone Taylor goes back to AAA until September.

But if that happens, Taylor won't be eligible for the post-season roster - correct? That used to be the rule - but not sure if there are exceptions now.

If they can't pull off some musical chairs type stuff and Vogey actually comes off the DL soon I would have to think he's gone or Tyrone Taylor goes back to AAA until September.

But if that happens, Taylor won't be eligible for the post-season roster - correct? That used to be the rule - but not sure if there are exceptions now.

Think Taylor would be fine for the postseeason still. Believe any player on the 40 man as of August 31 is eligible.

No, I don't believe that has ever been the rule, certainly not now. Just needs to be in the Brewers system.

I think the rule is just that any player acquired in September isn't eligible for the postseason roster. Not sure how much that even applies now with the hard trade deadline at the end of July.

It would seem kind of crazy but keep in mind that Tellez has an option remaining. If they don't want to lose Vogelbach they could option Tellez just for 2 weeks and then call him up when September hits and they gain 2 roster spots.

Alternatively, they could do this with Taylor. But somebody who doesn't deserve to get sent down is going to have to get sent down for a couple weeks if they don't want to DFA anyone without options. Unless they are desperately administering COVID tests in the clubhouse as we speak trying to get someone back on the IL for a bit.

I'd be ok with the DFA Vogelbach route as well. He's a replacement level player who is 3rd in line for ABs at the one position he can play. He was fine in May when our options were limited. If they want to try to keep him that's fine, but like Shaw he just isn't someone that you really need to try to jump through hoops to keep around.

Brewers don't need him, I think an AL team may pick him up because he still hits the ball a mile and would be an OK choice for PH / DH. Just like Shaw its best for both parties to move on, because of how the roster has changed since they got hurt.

Regarding the roster, if a player is on the team August 31st, he is eligible. Axford would have been eligible for postseason if he didn't get hurt.

Ultimately it probably doesn't matter too much as Vogelbach wouldn't make a 26 man playoff roster unless Tellez is hurt. Even if Tellez gets hurt they are in pretty good shape starting wise with Urias at third and Escobar at 1B.

The Brewers really had to choose between Vogelbach and Shaw and clearly chose Vogelbach. He does have value in September as a 27-th man after rosters expand to provide PH power off the bench. But, that opportunity may lead to all of a dozen or two ABs, which isn't all that important. He's good enough insurance for a Tellez injury or such, so I'd imagine they'd like to keep him around just in case.

Archived