Brewer Fanatic

JBJ Season Struggles

pacopete4
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ok guys clearly this offense is fantastic and doesn't need any upgrades at all. Also Bradley adds so much with the glove that his 155 batting average is really not that problematic.

Nobody said the offense was fantastic. When everyone is healthy it's probably average or maybe even slightly above average. It's not woefully short or embarrassing. If they don't get everyone healthy, it's reasonable to assume that they'll make more moves, like the one they did to get Adames.

Ok guys clearly this offense is fantastic and doesn't need any upgrades at all. Also Bradley adds so much with the glove that his 155 batting average is really not that problematic.

Nobody said the offense was fantastic. When everyone is healthy it's probably average or maybe even slightly above average. It's not woefully short or embarrassing. If they don't get everyone healthy, it's reasonable to assume that they'll make more moves, like the one they did to get Adames.

This offense is below average with everyone healthy. This team didn't hit last season and has looked pretty terrible most of this season besides a few games lately against Arizona and Pittsburgh who in particular couldn't throw a strike. We did what we needed against some terrible teams which is important if you are going to be a playoff team but it won't be nearly good enough to beat the good pitching staffs.

Wong (115 wRC+)

Urias (100 wRC+)

Yelich (126 wRC+)

Avisail (106 wRC+)

Omar (147 wRC+)

Adames (110 wRC+)

Vogelbach (106 wRC+)

Taylor (111 wRC+)

When everyone is healthy the lineup is fine.

That is an above average starting lineup.

Definitely seems a lot better than the perception, although Taylor looks kind of cherry picked to inflate the numbers, we all know he isn't in the regular lineup when everyone is healthy.

We did what we needed against some terrible teams which is important if you are going to be a playoff team but it won't be nearly good enough to beat the good pitching staffs.

The Brewers this season are 5-2 vs the Padres and 3-1 vs. the Dodgers.

Wong (115 wRC+)

Urias (100 wRC+)

Yelich (126 wRC+)

Avisail (106 wRC+)

Omar (147 wRC+)

Adames (110 wRC+)

Vogelbach (106 wRC+)

Taylor (111 wRC+)

When everyone is healthy the lineup is fine.

That is an above average starting lineup.

Definitely seems a lot better than the perception, although Taylor looks kind of cherry picked to inflate the numbers, we all know he isn't in the regular lineup when everyone is healthy.

That's definitely fair. Cain will be in there if healthy. I don't have a problem with that. Cain is a better defender than Taylor. One guy with a wRC+ around 90 isn't going to kill the lineup. Now say... if we had a Mark Kotsay to plug in there...... :ohwell

This offense is below average with everyone healthy. This team didn't hit last season and has looked pretty terrible most of this season besides a few games lately against Arizona and Pittsburgh who in particular couldn't throw a strike. We did what we needed against some terrible teams which is important if you are going to be a playoff team but it won't be nearly good enough to beat the good pitching staffs.

So the Brewers offense struggles against good pitchers who typically pitch well against everyone? Well ... yeah.

Offense might help you get to the playoffs, but pitching is what advances a team once its there. And the Brewers are set up nicely in that scenario.

They cut bait on Neftali Feliz, Lindblom so there is some history there of eating a bad contract. However, with JBJ I don't think they're going to believe they have 5 healthy outfielders who are better players.

Did they really technically cut bait on Lindblom? He couldn't refuse a designation to the minors could he? And we knew no one would pick up his contract. So it in essence was us sending him to the minors.

They cut bait on Neftali Feliz, Lindblom so there is some history there of eating a bad contract. However, with JBJ I don't think they're going to believe they have 5 healthy outfielders who are better players.

Did they really technically cut bait on Lindblom? He couldn't refuse a designation to the minors could he? And we knew no one would pick up his contract. So it in essence was us sending him to the minors.

Right, but they're paying a guy almost 3 million a year to pitch in the minor leagues as a non-roster player

Community Moderator

Using our worst contract or two as proof of some sort of front office incompetency is completely pointless. Let's see some analysis that shows how the 2-3 worst FA contracts on the Brewers' books are worse than their competitors.

I seem to recall when the Omar Narvaez trade was widely considered to be a disaster...

Nobody here is suggesting that the JBJ contract doesn't look like a mistake right now, but every team has a few contracts they regret and all things considered being stuck with an expensive Keon Broxton isn't the worst thing in the world...

Was there a bigger FA bust than JBJ last off-season? Seems unlikely but I don't know.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Was there a bigger FA bust than JBJ last off-season? Seems unlikely but I don't know.

George Springer signed for 7/150 and has played four games.

Marcell Ozuna signed for 4/65 & is facing some serious legal issues.

Odorizzi got 3/23.5 & is currently sporting a 5.68 ERA over 25 innings.

I don't see releasing him while on the hook for next year and with half the outfield on the IL. When Cain and Taylor return, I'd stash him on the IL for a few weeks, send him to Nashville on rehab for a couple more, and the worst case is you have him taking up one of the couple extra roster spots we get in September.

A small market franchise can't really afford to be spending 30 million or so on two center fielders that can't hit. I totally understand wanting an insurance policy with Cain who seems to have just sat around doing nothing during his vacation but we didn't have to spend what we did on Bradley when the guy just can't hit. Kevin Pillar and Jake Marisnick were two similar players to Bradley who were available at much cheaper values on one year deals.

Stearns continues to fail again and again when it comes to putting an adequate offense together. Whether its through the draft where we focus on athletes over hitters or the free agent market where we consistently overpay for bad hitters with Bradley being the latest example. We are going to waste what is the best top of the rotation in the history of the franchise unless we improve what is an embarrassing offense.

Even if we make the playoffs what is this lineup capable of doing against the pitching staffs of the Mets and Dodgers. Stearns has a lot of work ahead of him at this deadline because we need at least two viable hitters if we are to stand any chance against good pitching which is what we would be facing in the playoffs.

Pillar has a below 90 OPS+ and Marishnick has all of 70PAs only 14games started. You would be blasting about terrible signings of these two as well, not going out and finding a hitter the team needs. Let's be honest here. I can probably look back at the offseason rumor thread and you likely threw shade on some poster who suggested signing either of the two.

It's really tough on Stearns and the analytic crew who suggest these signings. As my post before JBJ had a personal record on contact when chasing. So he's improving right? Now follows up with worst by far in his career after signing.

I think this happened with Smoak's signing last year. He had a great improvement on things that you would hope continue that went complete bellyup instead.

Theres guys out there though like Justin Turner or Daniel Murphy who turned a pedestrian history into stud hitting while around age of 30. Took a chance and missed. Avi Garcia is an example to this. Barreling up balls improved two seasons prior to his signing to a career worst in 2020. Now hes measuring a career best on barrels and tracking as the kind of production you paid for.

If Taylor or Cain were healthy I'd consider a 10day IL stint for JBJ to maybe reset and find what hes been doing wrong.

Owbc intimated toward this earlier, but maybe Bradley needs some adjustments like Narvaez did. Perhaps next season will be much better after Bradley is clearly trying to do too much every time up at the plate.

He’s not going to be a .300 hitter. But I’d take a .250-.260 second season with the Brewers. Here’s hoping they can fix his holes.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It's funny how when the team struggles to score runs the spotlight starts shining on JBJ again. The entire lineup is struggling, it ain't just him. He's the same guy that's been playing during the 16-4 stretch of games, the only difference is now that the hitters that were hitting aren't we need a scapegoat again. #FireHaines
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

It's funny how when the team struggles to score runs the spotlight starts shining on JBJ again. The entire lineup is struggling, it ain't just him. He's the same guy that's been playing during the 16-4 stretch of games, the only difference is now that the hitters that were hitting aren't we need a scapegoat again. #FireHaines

We have the lowest batting average, second worst slugging percentage, and the third worst OPS in baseball so yes we should fire Haines.

I mean yes JBJ isn't the only useless one in the lineup but I think the difference between him and others is pretty obvious. No one has any actual expectations for Jace Peterson, Daniel Robertson and Tim Lopes.

Archived