Brewer Fanatic

2021-06-14: Reds (Gutiérrez) at Brewers (Lauer) [Brewers lose, 10-2 -- Pitching struggles and Crew goes hitless after 2nd inning]

Eye Black
When Hiura plays himself off the team and Cain, Wong, Shaw and Taylor are all hurt at the same time it’s going to look ugly.

Every team has contracts that turn out to be bad at some point or another.

Sure but not every team can afford to have them. This team does not have that luxury. The Rays don't because they know they can't afford them. They would have probably traded Yelich for a haul and kept building.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Via Will Sammon:

In his first inning with the Brewers, Hunter Strickland threw more sliders than fastballs. That happened once with the Angels. For Strickland while with Brewers, that could be the pitch to watch. He threw a scoreless inning.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

There are just too many guys on this roster that shouldn't be on a major league roster much less a contenders roster. What CC does is just amazing given the roster.

I mean there's a ton of garbage at the back end of the roster, but the top 3 starters are about as good as any in baseball, the back end of the pen is pretty good and Yelich, Narvaez, Adames and a couple others are pretty legit. I don't doubt that CC is doing a fine job but it's not like they're totally void of talent.

They are not void of talent but it is surprising given the payroll they have Tim Lopes Hoby Milner Yardley etc on this team. Its not like you expect 25 all stars but man this team is really about 15 deep. The last ten guys are really a drag. The Cain contract is crippling. So is Bradley. Imagine the quality depth you could buy for 30 million dollars.

I don't disagree they don't really seem to do very well filling out the back end of the roster. Part of that is not having a very strong farm to provide reinforcements. But there are solid cheap veterans available every year to fill out with like Brad Miller and Asdrubal Cabrera, so I'm not sure why they are scraping the bottom of the barrel on the last few spots on the roster.

Yardley and Milner are both out there trying to trick people with these side arm deliveries. Throw in the raptor and his gimick where are the hard throwing relief pitchers who can get some outs and keep you in a game?? Stearns has a ton of work to do and precious little to trade unless someone thinks they can fix Keston.

Now we get to look forward to watching Anderson against this lineup while the Brewers face Castillo who is coming off back to back strong outings, including one against the Brewers.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Counsell may want to rearrange the rotation a bit. You have two lefties back to back and who throw the same slop. Then you go a whole series without having one of your studs when you throw 6 starters. It doesn't make sense the way it's lined up right now. Anderson is good for 4 innings tops. Back to back with Lauer that's a mess.

We are almost guaranteed to lose games in which guys like Lauer and Anderson start because our offense simply isn’t good enough on most nights to make up for all the runs those guys give up. We desperately need another impact bat and for guys to get healthy.

We are almost guaranteed to lose games in which guys like Lauer and Anderson start because our offense simply isn’t good enough on most nights to make up for all the runs those guys give up. We desperately need another impact bat and for guys to get healthy.

And how are they going to get a true impact bat? Nothing short of Mitchell gets you that. No thanks. I'll wait for Wong to get healthy, maybe Cain, and then have Yelich continue to get better. When healthy, this lineup will be ok. Not great, but ok. In a playoff series that will work.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Brewers are 6-4 when Anderson starts.

This almost made me spit out my coffee this morning.

That is true, but most of that is a result of either a lot of run support and/or outstanding bullpen work behind him. In his 10 starts he’s only gone past the 5th inning once, and he hasn’t made it as far as the 5th inning in half of them.

So, maybe the way to say it is that when Anderson starts, the Brewers have to hope that he can minimize the damage in the couple of innings he pitches, have the bullpen be near perfect for 4-6 innings, and hope the offense can score enough to cover the runs he gave up. The chances that he will give them 6 solid innings are next to zero. The only time he did that this year was against the weak hitting Pirates after being handed a 7 run lead in the first two innings.

Throwing him against a hot hitting Reds team for the second time in a week is not a formula for success unless the Brewers can get to Castillo, something they couldn’t do last week. I’m expecting to see Richards no later than the fourth inning, hopefully with the Brewers still within striking distance.

Meanwhile, the Brewers are 1-4 in Lauer’s starts, including, to be fair, one in which he pitched well. But, if I am looking at this right, starts by Anderson and Lauer have accounted for the Brewers last 4 losses.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

That is true, but most of that is a result of either a lot of run support and/or outstanding bullpen work behind him. In his 10 starts he’s only gone past the 5th inning once, and he hasn’t made it as far as the 5th inning in half of them.

I would imagine that the vast majority of MLB teams are in a similar, if not worse boat when it comes to their 4th and 5th starter spots.

I would imagine that the vast majority of MLB teams are in a similar, if not worse boat when it comes to their 4th and 5th starter spots.

Much more so if you change that to 5th and 6th starters.

Much more so if you change that to 5th and 6th starters.

Good point. Houser hasn't been as good as the top 3 guys, but to have his results as a 4th starter is pretty awesome. At this point, at least the way I'm looking at it, anytime we get a decent start out of Lauer or Anderson, it's gravy.

A significant part of my frustration is throwing the 5th and 6th starters (both generic LHP) on consecutive nights against a hard hitting contender for the division title. This is the Brewers 3rd series against the Reds and they won’t be facing Woodruff or Burnes in any of them. They will be seeing Peralta for the third time tomorrow. Pitching Anderson against them again after they chased him early last week may not be a guaranteed loss, but it is a virtual guarantee that the Reds will be putting early runs on the board and be getting into the Brewers bullpen by the 4th or 5th inning. The Brewers offense is not well suited to keep up with that.

Rather than religiously going with a 6 day rotation there might have been a way to get Woodruff and/or Burnes in against the Reds while splitting up Anderson and Lauer and getting them into more games against weaker hitting non division opponents like the Rockies or DBacks.

I haven’t tried to map out the starters for the rest of the month in part because that can be altered by minor injuries and postponements anyway. But if Anderson and Lauer pitch back to back against the Cubs in two weeks I might lose it.

Agreed. We are really fortunate to have 3 really great starters in our rotation. There is an article about Freddy, Woody and Burnes on mlb.com today about our 3 headed monster. :)

https://www.mlb.com/news/corbin-burnes-freddy-peralta-brandon-woodruff-dominant-for-brewers

Archived