Brewer Fanatic

travis shaw claimed by red sox

djoctagone

Yeah, good for Shaw. That's a nice landing spot.

Probably for another topic, but I'll say that absolutely embarrassing baseball doesn't do MLB any good. The Cubs did the right thing for their long term, it certainly does a disservice for their fanbase for the rest of the season. If you're going to charge major league prices, your product ought to at least resemble major league baseball even if it's bad major league baseball. The Cubs working the waiver wire would at least be a good faith effort with the fans.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Will be interesting to see how this plays out with the Escobar (potential) injury. I mean, we’re covered, but that vet presence…

I hope that's a tongue in cheek comment. Any A-baller could duplicate what Shaw did this year.

I hope that's also a joke. He had some big time hits for us early in the year during rallies. He played some very good defense. Unfortunately he just didn't have enough hits. Good luck to Travis, but it's pretty laughable to think that any A-baller could even have done what he did.

I hope that's a tongue in cheek comment. Any A-baller could duplicate what Shaw did this year.

I hope that's also a joke. He had some big time hits for us early in the year during rallies. He played some very good defense. Unfortunately he just didn't have enough hits. Good luck to Travis, but it's pretty laughable to think that any A-baller could even have done what he did.

I agree. While stats give an overall picture, they don't give the whole picture.

Shaw did bring a fair bit to the table. Maybe if he hadn't been injured, he might have pulled it together and get up to an average level offensively. We'll never know. But he'd be a decent option as a bench bat, having experience at 3B, 2B, 1B, and LF in the majors, and Miller Park/American Family Field is a place where left-handed power bats can thrive.

For $1 million or so, he's not a bad bench option.

A 66 OPS+ over his last 650+ PA's is beyond terrible. He has no business being on our major league roster right now or any time in the foreseeable future.

I think we ALL prefer to remember the Shaw of 2017 and 2018, but yeah, other than the fact that he still plays passable defense, he's not really an MLB-caliber player anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There was a glimmer of hope for Shaw the way he started the year, but the shine quickly wore off. Best of luck Shaw! I hope you do well with the Sox, but a team with WS aspirations can't wait for you to find it again.

Shaw hit a walk off grand slam today. Watching the highlight made me think he gained about 20 pounds… maybe it’s the red jersey…

It was not the red jersey.

He has added a lot of weight.

He may now be referred to as the "Mayor of Ding Dongs" ;)

The fact that his old teams keep bringing him back suggests he's probably a good teammate and hard worker. I always liked him I hope he can salvage his career a bit.

It's never just about the physical gifts (speed, strength) or the talent. How hard someone is willing to work, to add the skills that make the most of the gifts and talent they have matters. How well they get along with their teammates matters.

Archived