Brewer Fanatic

travis shaw claimed by red sox

djoctagone

Gyorko is still a free agent. Which is especially infuriating with how poor 1B/3B have venom and with how desperately a RHB to go between those 2 positions is needed

By choice most likely. So I'm not sure why that is infuriating.

Because they didn’t either signed him or a replacement. And the production out of his 2 spots, especially vs LHPs, has been poor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Per Will Sammon:

On Travis Shaw, Craig Counsell said rehabbing it is the course of action recommended and suggested August for possible return.

Per Sophia Minnaert:

Travis Shaw will try to rehab his left shoulder until around August. He will work to get the shoulder strong and healthy to see how it feels playing.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Personally, would be disappointing to see shaw back on the MLB team. Thankful for what he provided over the years. But he is not remotely close to our best option. Urias should be starting/Peterson off the bench for 3B. And 1st base is redundant with Tellez. So I don’t see a spot for him. Would rather have Voggy for a bench bat over shaw this year anyway. If they add another infield bat, you’ve probably seen shaws last day as a brewer.

Personally, would be disappointing to see shaw back on the MLB team. Thankful for what he provided over the years. But he is not remotely close to our best option. Urias should be starting/Peterson off the bench for 3B. And 1st base is redundant with Tellez. So I don’t see a spot for him. Would rather have Voggy for a bench bat over shaw this year anyway. If they add another infield bat, you’ve probably seen shaws last day as a brewer.

This post seems to assume a lot. You’re assuming the Brewers would start Shaw. He’s a great depth piece at 1b, 3b, DH, and even 2b. Even though he wasn’t producing great, he still had a knack for knocking in runs at key times. They way I view Shaw returning is that he’d be another option at 1b (since Tellez has been awful in limited time, Hiura has been awful, and only Vogelbach has shown signs of life) and he’d be depth at 3b. Urias can’t and won’t play every day

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This post seems to assume a lot. You’re assuming the Brewers would start Shaw. He’s a great depth piece at 1b, 3b, DH, and even 2b. Even though he wasn’t producing great, he still had a knack for knocking in runs at key times. They way I view Shaw returning is that he’d be another option at 1b (since Tellez has been awful in limited time, Hiura has been awful, and only Vogelbach has shown signs of life) and he’d be depth at 3b. Urias can’t and won’t play every day

WHy can't Urias play every day?

I guess Urias can't play every day in the sense that no player plays every day these days, but yeah, Urias is an everyday starter at this point.

Shaw I guess would be a fine albeit underwhelming option as a September bench bat if they want to hide him on the IL/rehab til then.

But there's really no need to rush. And he's not an option or any kind of depth at 2B unless things go insanely wrong.

Urias is on pace for roughly 2.5-3 war. He’s proving to be a quality player for this team.

Shaw has -0.7 war this year. I would hope any additions at the deadline would improve on this. Voggy has -0.1 war…so not great either.

I mean, Shaw has been worse than a replacement player. He's been brutally bad. Yeah yeah yeah.... clutch timely hits. Those are a product of randomness, and not some measurable or repeatable skill. They can and should DFA Shaw the day he comes off the IL and find literally anyone off the scrap pile who can put up more than a negative .7 WAR over 200 PA's.

Urias *should* be playing almost everyday, given that he's performing well, and has already broken out of the mini slump he was in shortly before the AS break.

If he gets hurt and the Brewers put Shaw back in full time at 3B, they're in trouble. Peterson at this point is the de facto backup 3B. He doesn't have a ton of experience there, but enough that I wouldn't feel awful if he played 2-3 weeks over there if Urias was out for a short while.

And it makes me feel weird saying I 100/100 would rather play Peterson at 3B than Shaw.

When I hear rumors or suggestions that Kyle Seager could be a trade target I've felt pretty meh about him but I would take him over Shaw all day long. Shaw doesn't belong on this team, he can't hit.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Urias is on pace for roughly 2.5-3 war. He’s proving to be a quality player for this team.

Shaw has -0.7 war this year. I would hope any additions at the deadline would improve on this. Voggy has -0.1 war…so not great either.

I think that resources could be put in other places as well. Urias had A DAY today (what more could he do??) and I think that Stearns/CC will let him run a bit and see what if anything TShaw can do upon his return. Adames also making others forget about what they gave up in a trade. "On base" Jace getting some quality ABs after starting 1B in AAA (like I told everyone here would happen before it was unceremoniously taken down off this board for some reason).

I almost think that a trade would be for Kyle Gibson and Ian Kennedy instead of offense.

/quote]

I would be interested in seeing Urias' stats since Adames arrived and he was taken off short. He's been very solid with the bat after a rough start.

I would be interested in seeing Urias' stats since Adames arrived and he was taken off short. He's been very solid with the bat after a rough start.

.266/.340/.480 over 197 plate appearances. 9 doubles and 9 homers over that period.

.266/.340/.480 over 197 plate appearances. 9 doubles and 9 homers over that period.

Thanks. Pretty solid. Is there a website that lets you plug in dates and run that data?

Thanks. Pretty solid. Is there a website that lets you plug in dates and run that data?

Yes Fangraphs.

You can do it on Baseball Reference too. That's how I did it. Just highlight the particular dates on the game logs in a certain manner and the stats are calculated.

Adding Shaw is not a way to help this offense in any way. I just don't see how he fits on this team even when rosters would expand. Trading for someone that's only hitting .200 would be a major upgrade over bringing Shaw back. That's how bad he's been since his little "hot" streak early in the season. Since April 16 he's batting .163.

Adding Shaw is not a way to help this offense in any way. I just don't see how he fits on this team even when rosters would expand. Trading for someone that's only hitting .200 would be a major upgrade over bringing Shaw back. That's how bad he's been since his little "hot" streak early in the season. Since April 16 he's batting .163.

He's a quality defender with the ability to run into one once in a while and send it over the fence. That makes him more valuable than Hiura right now.

If everyone's healthy by the time Shaw's rehab is over the position player group will probably look something like...

Omar, Manny, Kolten, Luis, Willy, Jace, Christian, Lorenzo, JBJ, Garcia, Deadline 1B.

If the team is comfortable with five OF then Tyrone would be the 12th position player.

Whichever of Shaw, Vogelbach, Hiura, Rowdy or whoever else is the last man will likely be getting most of their playing time in a pinch hit/defensive replacement type role, so their impact should be pretty minimal.

Vogelbach, Shaw, and Rowdy are all pretty redundant. Rowdy might be the best bat, but Shaw has a little more versatility on defense.

But we'll never know until he actually gets some consistant playing time...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived