Brewer Fanatic

2021-06-09: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Gutiérrez) [Brewers lose, 7-3]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Uh...when your next best option is a Daniel Robertson/Jace Peterson platoon until Wong comes back and Urias can play 3B. Peterson as a strong side of a platoon is a lot worse than Shaw.

My guess is your Daniel Robertson/Jace Peterson platoon is about just as productive as Shaw has been.

While Shaw has been struggling he still has been coming through in the clutch to drive in runs. I don’t see the Robertson/Peterson platoon being as clutch. Shaw also has been solid on defense.

Shaw had 19 RBI in April, and has 9 RBI in May and June combined. He's at a -.04 WAR, and no amount of clutch is going to overcome that amount of bad hitting.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A preview of what it’s going to be like as the Brewers go to their 6 man rotation from now until the All Star break. Anderson and Lauer aren’t going to produce many wins for a team that doesn’t score much.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Feel bad for Shaw as I never want to see a guy get injured, especially with something that seems pretty severe. Glass half full for him though is he might end up collecting a big league pay check a little longer now that he will be going to the IL. Not sure how much time left he had on the team with his current production

This is classic Brewers right? An all time great starting rotation and they’ll completely waste it because players like Peterson and Robertson are going to each get 400 at bats. With Cain down indefinitely JBJ is going to get 500+ at bats. What a joke for a collection of hitters.

My guess is your Daniel Robertson/Jace Peterson platoon is about just as productive as Shaw has been.

While Shaw has been struggling he still has been coming through in the clutch to drive in runs. I don’t see the Robertson/Peterson platoon being as clutch. Shaw also has been solid on defense.

Shaw had 19 RBI in April, and has 9 RBI in May and June combined. He's at a -.04 WAR, and no amount of clutch is going to overcome that amount of bad hitting.

I guess it just seemed like he was driving in more runs than that, or at least the runs he was driving in were important for wins in those games so they stood out. I still think you are going to get less out of that platoon somehow.

This is classic Brewers right? An all time great starting rotation and they’ll completely waste it because players like Peterson and Robertson are going to each get 400 at bats. With Cain down indefinitely JBJ is going to get 500+ at bats. What a joke for a collection of hitters.

Well, the pitchers DID give up seven runs tonight.....

Well, the pitchers DID give up seven runs tonight.....

Well, they can’t all be killers. Anderson is a finesse lefty starter; I assume he’s going to pitch well half the time and get hit the other half.

Anderson wouldn't be such a killer if our bats could make up for his badness, but they can't, so every 5th day there is probably a 15% (random number, obviously) chance of winning that game.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Anderson wouldn't be such a killer if our bats could make up for his badness, but they can't, so every 5th day there is probably a 15% (random number, obviously) chance of winning that game.

The Brewers are 6-3 in Anderson's starts.

ok, let's see where that number is a month from now, but correction noted.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Brewers are 6-3 in Anderson's starts.

ok, let's see where that number is a month from now, but correction noted.

All things aside, if Anderson is our number 5, I think we're doing ok. SOMEONE has to be your de facto worst starter. If we can win half the games he starts (which is reasonable), I think we're doing ok.

We had a season where we went like 18-14 or something like that in Wayne Franklin's starts, despite the fact that he was brutal. Run support is random, and Anderson honestly isn't that bad. He's also not that good, but he's our #5 so it kinda is what it is.

Not to pile on JBJ too much but in hindsight maybe that money should have just been spent on more pitching. I mean Corey Ray or Broxton could hit .150 and play good defense

No doubt. It was a bad signing, there's no sugarcoating it. Obviously they expected more but yeah, bad deal.

Archived