Brewer Fanatic

2021-06-08: Brewers (Houser) at Reds (Gray) [Brewers win, 5-1 -- Crew have now won 10 of last 11]

Eye Black
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Wow. A pirate just got called out on a homer because he missed first base

Does that happen once every century?

Ke’Bryan Hayes missed the bag as he was watching his home run hit off the foul pole. Here’s the footage on Twitter for those interested.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Like, how? I get it if you're hustling for a double or something and you miss the base and don't want to go back and be held to a single or the ball is coming back in by the time you realize it and you'll get in a rundown or something if you turn back but on a homer? Just go back and step on the base. It's not like they can tag you out. Really makes Baez's play seem not that special (which it wasn't) when the Pirates cost themselves runs on home runs. :laughing

News from the Minors: The Brewers are moving Aaron Ashby to the Triple-A bullpen to position him for an eventual call-up to the Major League club. He'll be a multi-inning guy, Rick Sweet told @JeffHemPBP on the Sounds pre-game show.

Was it the same player that messed up that force on Baez?

Nah, he got DFA'd a day or two ago.

Community Moderator
News from the Minors: The Brewers are moving Aaron Ashby to the Triple-A bullpen to position him for an eventual call-up to the Major League club. He'll be a multi-inning guy, Rick Sweet told @JeffHemPBP on the Sounds pre-game show.

Was just going to post that, seems like a pretty significant step signaling he may be added to the Brewers bullpen fairly soon.

McCalvy also added the following:

In talking about Aaron Ashby's move to the 'pen, Rick Sweet referenced Josh Hader, Brandon Woodruff and Corbin Burnes, all of whom made the same move to relief under Sweet before getting called up.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Every time you start to think Yelich might be coming around you get stark reminders that he isn’t. Two really ugly K’s tonight.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Like, how? I get it if you're hustling for a double or something and you miss the base and don't want to go back and be held to a single or the ball is coming back in by the time you realize it and you'll get in a rundown or something if you turn back but on a homer? Just go back and step on the base. It's not like they can tag you out. Really makes Baez's play seem not that special (which it wasn't) when the Pirates cost themselves runs on home runs. :laughing

He thought it might be off the wall so he was busting it out of the box, he was around 2nd by the time he realized it was called a HR and slowed to a trot. Either he was just too focused on the ball in play and didn't even realize he missed 1st or he was hoping it would just go unnoticed.

Was just going to post that, seems like a pretty significant step signaling he may be added to the Brewers bullpen fairly soon.

McCalvy also added the following:

In talking about Aaron Ashby's move to the 'pen, Rick Sweet referenced Josh Hader, Brandon Woodruff and Corbin Burnes, all of whom made the same move to relief under Sweet before getting called up.

Love it. The pen could use his arm. Probably going to have initial expectations be a little too high from the bar that Hader set when he came up, though.

This could be a good break for the Brewers to get an unexpected early entry into the Reds middle relief. This is their weakest link and the Brewers have to take advantage of it.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

This could be a good break for the Brewers to get an unexpected early entry into the Reds middle relief. This is their weakest link and the Brewers have to take advantage of it.

Like that?

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Right idea, Travis. Just not close enough to the line. Got the sacrifice at least.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Garcia seemed a little nonchalant with that throw into second.

yup, no way he should be on 2B with that hit. Garcia every once in a while is just plain lazy.

Keep hitting those dingers though Avi!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Yelich DP could be the turning point in this game. A pitcher who can’t find the plate and a chance for a big inning down the drain. Now the Reds come into the heart of their order facing Hauser for the third time.

Archived