Brewer Fanatic

Garret Cooper

What would it take to bring Garret Cooper back to Milwaukee?

Mario Feliciano and Tyrone Taylor? Too much? Too little?

Do the Marlins just hang up when Milwaukee calls?

If Cooper costs more than Ray it is way too much even Ray is pushing it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If Cooper costs more than Ray it is way too much even Ray is pushing it.

Right. Garrett Cooper is a 30-year-old, extremely league average 1B. Decent player, but not anywhere close to a game changer. Teams aren't going to be beating down the Marlins' door to acquire him, and other than being cheap, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a bottom dwelling team like the Marlins to hang onto him.

HUGE OVERPAY.

Just because his numbers are better than what we have doesn't make him good. I'd take him in a swap for Reyes, Robertson, or Vogelbach, but if the Brewers are trying to upgrade they need to get a real upgrade, not just a league average guy. I'm still holding out hope that Hiura turns it around.

HUGE OVERPAY.

Just because his numbers are better than what we have doesn't make him good. I'd take him in a swap for Reyes, Robertson, or Vogelbach, but if the Brewers are trying to upgrade they need to get a real upgrade, not just a league average guy. I'm still holding out hope that Hiura turns it around.

Well, league average IS a real upgrade. And there’s no way that the Marlins would want one of those 4 bad players you listed for a decent player.

HUGE OVERPAY.

Well, league average IS a real upgrade. And there’s no way that the Marlins would want one of those 4 bad players you listed for a decent player.

Not sure if I would pull the trigger on this trade right now - and I don't know the Marlin's needs, but I think Tyrone Taylor (or someone similar) is in the ballpark. Cooper makes $1.8M this year and will make more in arby next year I assume. So they probably wouldn't mind trading to a min.wage guy that has 5-6 years of control. The problem is you have to wait until Miami is out of it. It's getting closer to make that call, but not there yet.

Marlins run differential (-3) is better than Milwaukee's (-4) which tells you they've been unlucky so far this year. Without a dominant team in their Division they have as good a shot as anyone to get back into the Division race.

A bag of baseballs is what I would offer.

Community Moderator
Marlins run differential (-3) is better than Milwaukee's (-4) which tells you they've been unlucky so far this year. Without a dominant team in their Division they have as good a shot as anyone to get back into the Division race.

NL East Division Odds

FanGraphs: NYM (76.8%) ATL (14.2%) PHI (6.9%) WAS (1.9%) MIA (0.2%)

PECOTA: NYM (67.7%) PHI (18.3%) ATL (7.4%) WAS (6.6%) MIA (0.0%)

538: NYM (62%) ATL (21%) PHI (10%) WAS (6%) MIA (1%)

Marlins are already seven games back & need to pass three other teams to get within reach of the Mets, who even if they aren't dominant are still pretty heavy favorites at this point.

Brewers traded him for Tyler webb, and now you think we would have to give up Taylor & Feliciano .

I'm not saying he isn't an upgrade to what we got, and I like you out of the box thinking rather than thinking we should be trying to get Josh Donaldson, but yes Ray would be appropriate compensation.

Sidebar...

It's a pet peeve of mine with baseball and prediction models that use run differential as a projection tool. How can a model accurately predict anything when a team could go 6-1 in a week, winning 6 games by 2 (+12) runs each game and getting blown out by 10 runs (-10) in the one loss, have only a +2 run differential and say they're playing essentially at a .500 clip? Run differential alone is the worst predictive model IMO.

Sidebar...

It's a pet peeve of mine with baseball and prediction models that use run differential as a projection tool. How can a model accurately predict anything when a team could go 6-1 in a week, winning 6 games by 2 (+12) runs each game and getting blown out by 10 runs (-10) in the one loss, have only a +2 run differential and say they're playing essentially at a .500 clip? Run differential alone is the worst predictive model IMO.

I think because these kinds of things even out over time. Teams will go through streaks of losing close games, or blow someone out by 10 runs. And thus it just sort of evens out in the end. The more games you play, the more 'accurate' run differential tends to be.

It's not perfect, but it's generally pretty accurate in the long run.

Brewers traded him for Tyler webb, and now you think we would have to give up Taylor & Feliciano .

I'm not saying he isn't an upgrade to what we got, and I like you out of the box thinking rather than thinking we should be trying to get Josh Donaldson, but yes Ray would be appropriate compensation.

What we got for Cooper is inconsequential to what we'd have to give up now. That was years ago, values fluctuate. With that said, I wouldn't give up Feliciano or anything like that either.

Verified Member

Sidebar...

I think because these kinds of things even out over time. Teams will go through streaks of losing close games, or blow someone out by 10 runs. And thus it just sort of evens out in the end. The more games you play, the more 'accurate' run differential tends to be.

If the same players were used in wins and losses, then this makes sense. So I'll buy the runs scored half of run differential since the offense is basically the same every game win or lose. it's crazy to assume that "runs against" are basically the same players pitching in wins and losses, however. Crappy bullpen guys who rotate through the back half of the bullpen throughout the year as well as POSITION players are used in blowouts, and those blowouts losses anyway are extremely unlikely to be started by any of our 3 aces.

My gut feeling was not a chance, but looking closer, Cooper has been around a 800 OPS 1B in the MLB for the last 3 years. Still wouldn't have Feliciano in that trade as I believe he will be shooting up into the top 100 list this year.

If the Marlins have a decent 1B prospect coming up, that might make it easier to part with him.

Though it would be weird to be yelling "COOOOOOP" for our left-handed 1B again...

Though it would be weird to be yelling "COOOOOOP" for our left-handed 1B again...

Except I'd guess that 75% of this board would be yelling it for the first time in their lifetimes...lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If the same players were used in wins and losses, then this makes sense. So I'll buy the runs scored half of run differential since the offense is basically the same every game win or lose. it's crazy to assume that "runs against" are basically the same players pitching in wins and losses, however. Crappy bullpen guys who rotate through the back half of the bullpen throughout the year as well as POSITION players are used in blowouts, and those blowouts losses anyway are extremely unlikely to be started by any of our 3 aces.

Nothing is perfect. You talk a lot about the outlier events - blowouts and so forth. Well, every team has them. You lose by 10. You win a week later by 12. Again, things tend to even out - especially over time. But it's not perfect.

Just look at 2019 - the last full season:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/season/2019/group/overall

You can see the differential numbers are not perfect - but they aren't bad indicators. Again, it's just a general trend - not a hard and fast rule. For some reasons, so teams win lots of close games, or suffer more blowouts than other teams. It happens.

Perhaps the Brewers make up make them not a typical team. Weak offense. Three very good starters. Then two mediocre ones which lead to more than our fair share of blowouts.

Good thing he's right handed.

Doh! I knew it was too perfect... I must've been remembering Overbay's batting stance instead.

Archived