Brewer Fanatic

Trade with Twins (Mark Derosa suggestion)

Saw this on facebook and I guess Mark Derosa actually suggeted this on mlb network.

Twins get JBJ and Antoine Kelly

Brewers get Donaldson and 15MM

This trade is awful for the brewers, its an upgrade at 3rd, but he is owed 50MM after this season and is 35 already and has an injury history anyway. This is another case of national media knowing that brewers need a corner infielder and coming up with suggestions but they aren't really plausible. Also twins don't really need JBJ but I am sure they would love to get Donaldson's contract off of the books.

It's just a guy throwing things against a wall but if I was the Brewers I would take it. If Bradley exercises his option he is guaranteed another $17.5 million. Add in another $15 million from the Twins and that is 32.5 million. Donaldson is guaranteed approximately $50 million over 2022/23 so Brewers are on the hook for an additional 17.5 million over 2022/23 which isn't horrible considering they have nothing at that position. Of course it would bump payroll up approximately another $10 million this year as well. Will likely never happen but a move that would help the club if they are looking to win this year.

Saw this on facebook and I guess Mark Derosa actually suggeted this on mlb network.

Twins get JBJ and Antoine Kelly

Brewers get Donaldson and 15MM

This trade is awful for the brewers, its an upgrade at 3rd, but he is owed 50MM after this season and is 35 already and has an injury history anyway. This is another case of national media knowing that brewers need a corner infielder and coming up with suggestions but they aren't really plausible. Also twins don't really need JBJ but I am sure they would love to get Donaldson's contract off of the books.

Don't see any problem with this trade proposal at all. Donaldson is overpaid but that's why the Brewers are getting 15M. JBJ's inclusion also helps offset the salary and gets us out of his 11M option next season. Kelly is a nice developmental arm for the Twins to get something for Donaldson but nothing to lose sleep over. Donaldson is an obvious upgrade at 3B and has 2/42 left after this season. With the 15M you're at 2/27 from our pockets after '21 which is totally reasonable without even considering the savings from JBJ.

I've seen way worse proposals from the national media; in fact I would take this deal.

The funny thing about this trade is that I don't see any way the Brewers trade JBJ. They signed him specifically for his defense, and while his offense has been abysmal, I guess they believe he will turn it around to be at least serviceable at the plate the rest of the way. (Is it possible for him to get his AVG to the .220 range for the season?)

Donaldson certainly will be a target but I would rather the Twins throw more salary back than having to include JBJ.

The funny thing about this trade is that I don't see any way the Brewers trade JBJ. They signed him specifically for his defense, and while his offense has been abysmal, I guess they believe he will turn it around to be at least serviceable at the plate the rest of the way. (Is it possible for him to get his AVG to the .220 range for the season?)

Donaldson certainly will be a target but I would rather the Twins throw more salary back than having to include JBJ.

Bradley is 31, has a player option next year and has been absolutely awful this year. Some positive regression is likely to be sure but if they had a chance to get a mulligan on the deal and get Donaldson I sure would hope they don't let their love for Bradley's glove stand in the way.

So we get a really good player, at a position of need for around $10 million per year for the next couple years when taking into account Bradley Jr's. salary and all it costs is Antoine Kelly? Yeah, there's no way the Twins go for any of that.

Bradley is 31, has a player option next year and has been absolutely awful this year. Some positive regression is likely to be sure but if they had a chance to get a mulligan on the deal and get Donaldson I sure would hope they don't let their love for Bradley's glove stand in the way.

Donaldson for Bradley in a vacuum for the Brewers certainly would be a win.

Just to see how poor his start has been, Bradley currently has a .160 AVG (26/173). If he were to end up at 450 ABs on the season, in order to get to .220, he would have to go 73/247 or hit .295 the rest of the way. If he were to end up at 500 ABs on the season, he would have to go 84/337 or hit .249 the rest of the way.

OF defense isn't a big issue. Yelich, Cain, Garcia and Taylor are all fine defensive outfielders.

Not sure why this deal is so bad on our end. Twins are effectively giving us $26mil bringing the cost of Donaldson (not counting this year) to $25.5mil or $12.75mil a year. One could always pick up his option for a third year at an extra $8mil.

We have handed out the same money on two year deals to Avisail Garcia, who you are thrilled if he hits for a .750 OPS...and Jackie Bradley Jr., who you are happy if he hits a beach ball. Donaldson is a consistent .800+ OPS player. Yah, he is old...but at least he has actually been a consistent producer in his career.

I would probably accept that deal and take on the risk of him producing at an old age. Even if he only produces this year and next year I would be pretty pumped. Hopefully any decline still keeps him around .750 OPS.

I don’t see any reason why the Twins, who have an abundance in the OF, would want JBJ. He’d at least make some sense as a salary balance to a team that could use him

The problem is, why would the Twins want to move him? He's productive (.806 OPS), plays a premium position, and they don't have a replacement to go into their lineup. Moreover, his contract is the only heavy one they're carrying (No one else has an AAV in excess of 12 million). In fact, the Twins really don't have any long-term contracts on the books outside of Donaldson.

The Twins haven't played well this year but that is because their pitching staff, particularly the rotation has performed poorly so far, and they've had half their opening day regulars get injured and go to the IL: Kepler, Buxton, Arraez, Garver, and Donaldson. There is too much talent on their roster for them to go into a lengthy rebuild.

If they don't turn it around and decide to re-tool their pitching staff, I don't see a salary dump type of trade with Donaldson and JBJ helping them in that regard. It would probably have to be Donaldson and cash to the Brewers for JBJ and Houser or something along those lines. Otherwise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Minnesota.

I read somewhere that the Twins may not sell off this year even if they are out of it early enough, as the core is signed for 2022. If that is the case and the Twins don't need an OF, I don't see any way this trade is made with JBJ going back.

Verified Member

I was going to make a post askingnwhy a team with one of the most elite defensive CFs in baseball would trade for a guy whose primary value add is CF defense, but then I realized that's exactly what we did when we signed JBJ :laughing

I would happily take on Donaldson's contract. I think he's become deeply underrated for some reason. People act like he is fragile and perennially injured, but he has five seasons with close to 700 PA, including as recently as 2019.

If it meant getting rid of JBJ and his contract and adding a legit bat at 3B, I'd do this deal all day long and twice on Sunday!
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I was going to make a post askingnwhy a team with one of the most elite defensive CFs in baseball would trade for a guy whose primary value add is CF defense, but then I realized that's exactly what we did when we signed JBJ :laughing

I would happily take on Donaldson's contract. I think he's become deeply underrated for some reason. People act like he is fragile and perennially injured, but he has five seasons with close to 700 PA, including as recently as 2019.

Yeah and there is no doubt a risk of injury with how old he is but you have to ask yourself, are we better off with a combination of Cain/Taylor/Donaldson or a combination of Cain/JBJ/Shaw. I think we're clearly better off with the former and all it costs is money and a prospect who just underwent TOS surgery.

It's also why I don't think the Twins consider it. Twins clearly give up the best player, and have to pay us money on top of it and all they get is an injured prospect low in the minors.

I wouldn't mind doing this trade:

Twins get Cain and Shaw

Brewers get Donaldson and $8M

I don't think almost all Brewer fans would really welcome the trade. However I can't imagine the Twins even giving it a momentary thought. Donaldson would bring much, much more if they put him on the block.

I understand maybe a high-upside guy getting sent back like Kelly, but I think people will be surprised with the return if Donaldson is traded this year. I'm guessing it's a pure salary dump. He's heating up and looks like he may be back to being very good, but if I'm a GM making this trade, I'm basically paying $45 million in 2022/2023 for said player in 2021. What I mean is that I'd bank on literally nothing after this year. He'll be 36 next year and he's already fragile. There is a very likely chance that the team that acquires him gets nothing due to injury or just a replacement-level guy for some or all of 2022-2023.

I understand maybe a high-upside guy getting sent back like Kelly, but I think people will be surprised with the return if Donaldson is traded this year. I'm guessing it's a pure salary dump. He's heating up and looks like he may be back to being very good, but if I'm a GM making this trade, I'm basically paying $45 million in 2022/2023 for said player in 2021. What I mean is that I'd bank on literally nothing after this year. He'll be 36 next year and he's already fragile. There is a very likely chance that the team that acquires him gets nothing due to injury or just a replacement-level guy for some or all of 2022-2023.

The Twins don’t need to “dump salary”. Donaldson’s is the only heavy multi-year deal they have. Plus they don’t have anyone else to play 3B and they’re expect to compete in 2022 if they can’t get back in it this year. Those three points suggest Donaldson isn’t going anywhere and certainly not for a pile of garbage like JBJ and Antione (major shoulder injury) Kelly

As a Twin Cities resident, I can safely say that Sano hasn't worn out his welcome in MN. Decent trade target? Maybe so. But your hypothesis isn't why they'd consider trading him.

Archived