Brewer Fanatic

Pitchers using foreign substances

jonescm128
I’m going to be very upset if our pitchers start sucking now

Kind of unfortunate our team strength is pitching. While it probably helps our offense if opposing pitchers do it less, some of our hitters couldn't hit it if you put it on a tee.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bauer’s fastball spin rate was apparently down quite a bit from his season average in his start today.

Tweet from Jorge Castillo:

Trevor Bauer’s average four-seam fastball spin rate this season entering today: 2,835 RPM.

Bauer’s average spin rate on 18 four-seam fastballs through three innings today: 2,613 RPM.

That’s 222 RPM below average.

E3N_Y0AX0AcOHi0?format=jpg&name=small

Dave Roberts said it's not cheating to use an illegal substance if the rule isn't being enforced....lol

Couldn’t they just assign a fifth umpire to every game—who is also a part of the home-plate, third base, second base, first base rotation—that goes over to each pitching team’s dugout when a pitcher leaves the field and does the inspection? The game can continue as normal while the inspection occurs and, if there’s anything discovered, the crew chief is called and over.

I would think the umpire’s union would be on board with this as it would create at least 15 more major league positions.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Couldn’t they just assign a fifth umpire to every game—who is also a part of the home-plate, third base, second base, first base rotation—that goes over to each pitching team’s dugout when a pitcher leaves the field and does the inspection? The game can continue as normal while the inspection occurs and, if there’s anything discovered, the crew chief is called and over.

I would think the umpire’s union would be on board with this as it would create at least 15 more major league positions.

[sarcasm]Would he have to run his fingers through Burnes' hair?[/sarcasm]

I know why it is in blue, but realistically if they started checking gloves and hats, players would just put it somewhere else.

Might have to have TSA come in and train the umpires on how to search a body. (half blue, as we don't really know if the TSA is that good either - maybe border agents?)

Well... Even if they put their "stuff" somewhere else, umpire crews are regularly going to check the game used baseballs. If you're putting material on the ball, you're gonna run the risk of getting busted.

Supposedly they are already doing this and nothing has come from it. Yet...

Well... Even if they put their "stuff" somewhere else, umpire crews are regularly going to check the game used baseballs. If you're putting material on the ball, you're gonna run the risk of getting busted.

Supposedly they are already doing this and nothing has come from it. Yet...

I know MLB is getting their hands on balls used by every pitcher and evaluating them. But how often does a pitcher put a ball in the dirt and the ump gets their hands on said ball? It sounds like the sticky stuff problem is so blatant and obvious that these umps all know whats going on, and will be able to tell if there's a problem the instant they touch a baseball.

It'll certainly be an interesting few weeks to see if offense picks up, if some suspensions start happening, if pitchers start coming up with creative ways to continue to use the sticky stuff.

How much stuff are guys using? I can't imagine that they are using enough of it on their fingers than any noticeable trace is left on the ball. And if they are I can't imagine trying to throw a ball like that. I don't think there would be any consistency as to when the ball would leave your fingers and you'd have no feel for your release point. Then again, maybe that's what they're doing and why so many guys are getting hit now.

. How much stuff are guys using? I can't imagine that they are using enough of it on their fingers than any noticeable trace is left on the ball. And if they are I can't imagine trying to throw a ball like that. I don't think there would be any consistency as to when the ball would leave your fingers and you'd have no feel for your release point. Then again, maybe that's what they're doing and why so many guys are getting hit now.

But they are. There are videos online of guys in the dugouts picking up a foul ball and showing how it sticks to their hand. There is a crazy amount of goop on some of the balls.

How much stuff are guys using? I can't imagine that they are using enough of it on their fingers than any noticeable trace is left on the ball. And if they are I can't imagine trying to throw a ball like that. I don't think there would be any consistency as to when the ball would leave your fingers and you'd have no feel for your release point. Then again, maybe that's what they're doing and why so many guys are getting hit now.

They were suppose to be sending them to a science lab to analyze them. I presume there they can find pretty small traces of stuff.

John Means uses a solid glob though:

Community Moderator

This is how the Sports Illustrated article begins...

One ball made its way into an NL dugout last week, where players took turns touching a palm to the sticky material coating it and lifting the baseball, adhered to their hand, into the air. Another one, corralled in a different NL dugout, had clear-enough fingerprints indented in the goo that opponents could mimic the pitcher’s grip. A third one, also in the NL, was so sticky that when an opponent tried to pull the glue off, three inches of seams came off with it.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is how the Sports Illustrated article begins...

One ball made its way into an NL dugout last week, where players took turns touching a palm to the sticky material coating it and lifting the baseball, adhered to their hand, into the air. Another one, corralled in a different NL dugout, had clear-enough fingerprints indented in the goo that opponents could mimic the pitcher’s grip. A third one, also in the NL, was so sticky that when an opponent tried to pull the glue off, three inches of seams came off with it.

I've seen Tyler Glasnow breeze through 3+ innings and then all of a sudden start spiking pitches into the dirt five feet in front of the catcher. Maybe got a little too much goo on the ball?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I know why it is in blue, but realistically if they started checking gloves and hats, players would just put it somewhere else.

Might have to have TSA come in and train the umpires on how to search a body. (half blue, as we don't really know if the TSA is that good either - maybe border agents?)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Is this why none of our SS can throw to 1B? The ball just gets stuck to their hands?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator

For more on Spider Tack here’s a passage from this great article in The Athletic, Spider Tack is the stickiest stuff in baseball’s foreign-substance controversy. Its inventor had no idea:

“Get Spider Tack out of the game and I don’t care about anything else,” an MLB pitcher said, singling out a substance so spectacularly tacky that it suddenly has expanded beyond its initial market (strongmen lifting Atlas Stones) to a much larger one (pitchers hurling five-ounce baseballs).

Spider Tack represents the logical extreme in an arms race for better spin and nastier movement that has gone, to this point, unchecked by the league. Until a crackdown comes, Spider Tack is still one smear on the artist’s palette that is a pitcher’s glove. Pine tar, a sunscreen-and-rosin mixture and bubble-gum spit are more commonly used, another MLB pitcher said, but Spider Tack is easy to hide and wickedly effective. It’s almost too sticky — it takes WD-40 or baby oil to get it off your fingers. “Spider Tack is there to have on your glove for when you need that slider or heater to really rip,” the pitcher said.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member
The "I don't know how to answer that, to be honest", was what convinced me that Gerrit Cole has never doctored a ball, specifically with Spider Tack.

Ryan Braun agrees!

I'm waiting for somebody who ACTUALLY DOESN'T use any substances to come out and say that they use everything they possibly can to get an advantage just to mess with the MLB enforcers.

Archived