Brewer Fanatic

Trey Mancini

Cron doesn't play the OF but he'd be more affordable and he's killing LH pitching. I think he'd be ideal in a 50-50 split with Vogelbach.

Or a 3-1 split because we don't face that many lefties. On the season, 23% of the team's total at bats have been against lefties.

The problem with Mancini is, he's a really good player (.275/.336/.485) with team control through 2022. The Orioles don't have to trade him in July, so the question becomes can the Brewers put together an enticing package to pry him away now. FWIW, the pundits rank their farm system as one of the better ones in baseball, and they have 5 of MLBs top 100 prospects. These facts make it very unlikely they would deal Mancini just add some middling talent to their system, rather they would most likely want premium talent in return.

The Brewers have already traded away most of the premium talent they had in their system, and you can argue that what premium talent remains: Mitchell, Small, Ashby, Turang is more valuable to Milwaukee than a season and a half of Mancini would be.

Teams like Baltimore can basically never have enough prospects. They might just keep him though as a 30 year old 1B and fan favorite, a 4 year extension could be their best option given their low payroll. So yeah I think they would only consider an offer with a top 3 prospect. It doesn’t help that almost any AL contender would want him as a 1B/DH upgrade.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

• 4 weeks later...
i'd be leary of Mancini being an AL guy trying to hit NL pitchers for the first time. Could be part of why JBJ is struggling so much too actually.

I might have believed this like 20 years ago when each league had different umps and strike zones and stuff but I don't buy it in todays game.

i'd be leary of Mancini being an AL guy trying to hit NL pitchers for the first time. Could be part of why JBJ is struggling so much too actually.

JBJ's interleague splits are actually much better than his time in the AL so unlikely that has been his issue.

Community Moderator

There was an Effectively Wild episode on this recently with a professor that did a study on players traded to a different league mid-season. They found that on the whole players traded across leagues actually outperform their previous stat lines once playing in the new league. I don’t believe they provided specific stats, but indicated it was a statistically significant increase.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

What would it take to get 1.5 years of an above average 29 year old first baseman?

Ethan Small and Corey Ray? Thoughts?

I think it would take more than Small and Ray. I don’t think Ray has much remaining trade appeal at this point.

Assuming the Brewers wouldn’t be open to moving Mitchell or Turang, I think it would take a couple of their other top 8-10 prospects.

Maybe ONE of the following headline pieces:

Mario Feliciano

Aaron Ashby

Hedbert Perez

Ethan Small

Along with ONE of these prospects:

Antoine Kelly

Eduardo Garcia

Tristen Lutz

Freddy Zamora

And probably a THIRD prospect not mentioned above.

For example, maybe something like Mario Feliciano, Tristen Lutz, and Reese Olson.

If this is what it costs for Mancini, then I'll pass and look at a similar option.

Verified Member

The Brewers have already traded away most of the premium talent they had in their system, and you can argue that what premium talent remains: Mitchell, Small, Ashby, Turang is more valuable to Milwaukee than a season and a half of Mancini would be.

Huh?!? The trade for Yelich was 3.5...basically 4 years ago in that we've had 4 draft classes since the trade. That was the last time we traded away premium talent (Unless you count the Jonathan Schoop type trades). We haven't really had premium talent to trade till this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Huh?!? The trade for Yelich was 3.5...basically 4 years ago in that we've had 4 draft classes since the trade. That was the last time we traded away premium talent (Unless you count the Jonathan Schoop type trades). We haven't really had premium talent to trade till this year.

I suspect he's alluding to Grisham. That's the only young "premium talent" type who's been recently traded. Rasmussen I guess would be another, depending on how you value relief prospects.

Verified Member

I suspect he's alluding to Grisham. That's the only young "premium talent" type who's been recently traded. Rasmussen I guess would be another, depending on how you value relief prospects.

I guess that's kinda fair, except that we traded FOR premium young talent in those trades as well... Urias and Adames are more "premium" than what we gave up...

Adames, absolutely. There's definitely been some validation provided this year from Urias on that trade, but calling Urias a more premium talent than Grisham isn't accurate, to this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Adames, absolutely. There's definitely been some validation provided this year from Urias on that trade, but calling Urias a more premium talent than Grisham isn't accurate, to this point.

I'd say at the time of the trade, Urias was the more hyped, heralded prospect. He had Top 25 MLB prospect buzz. Grisham ascended so quickly during the 2019 system that the ranking services never really had the chance to catch up before he was in the majors.

I'd say at the time of the trade, Urias was the more hyped, heralded prospect. He had Top 25 MLB prospect buzz. Grisham ascended so quickly during the 2019 system that the ranking services never really had the chance to catch up before he was in the majors.

I guess it just depends on your definition of more premium talent. Urias as you said was the more heralded prospect, although Grisham was a high pick who started slow in the minors and had to shake off the potential bust label. I just don't think prospect rankings ever really caught up to how quickly he broke out.

If the Brewers traded for Mancini, I'm almost certain Baltimore would want them to include Tellez as a significant part of the return. If that happened, I think the only other major piece would be a pitcher close to major leagues, likely Small.

Keep Small, and trade Ashby please...

I can live with Ashby being traded, not that it would make me happy, because it wouldn't, but I 100% don't want to trade Small.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived