Brewer Fanatic

What are you collecting these days?

Bikeage77

Sports cards went through the roof during the pandemic. There was tons of money to be made if you were ahead of the trends. Bobbleheads, in my opinion have predictably just become a niche market. So are you guys still chasing bobbleheads, going after game used stuff, autos, or jcards? The Trading Post board is essentially dying, maybe this post will give it new life?

Personally, I've turned my focus on cards. I actually did that years ago. I'm enjoying that much more than the Autograph Fridays and bobblehead nights of the past. Wish I just stuck with cards the entire time honestly. It was my first love as a kid, and now I'm loving it again.

I was collecting game used, but the combination of the hobby exploding/Brewers being good/Brewers game used department ruined that for me. I occasionally pick up a cool cheap item, but don’t really spend much now. I’m not in the business of spending $500+ on scrub player items. Maybe that hobby comes back down to reality some day.

I sort of collect whiskey as I like grabbing new ones, but don’t drink heavily so it’s quickly become 20+ bottles. My wife calls it a collection, but I don’t really hoard unopened bottles to have value in the future etc. so i don’t really consider it a true collection.

My current obsession is my lawn as the last owner neglected it and it’s a bit of a hot mess. It has made strides though.

The sports card explosion during the pandemic helped me sell almost everything non-Brewers related that I have. I was listing group lots like crazy on facebook marketplace.

I've only picked up a few Brewers items in the last couple of years. My favorite being a Braun Memorial Day game used jersey. I'm much more picky than I used to be, because having two girls I don't see my collection being wanted by them. I still collect bobbleheads, but I sold off my grails right before the pandemic hit.

I still collect every Brewers player/coach/manager on a single signed ball. I'm not sure if I want to stop at 50 years right now. There are way too many cup of coffee call ups in the way baseball is currently played.

My real passion/obsession is collecting photos of family members. I've been researching my family genealogy for the past 10 years, and it is so much more rewarding to me than collecting Brewers items. I've set up family facebook groups where I put some of my research in. It really is enjoyable seeing my mother communicate with distant cousins that she hasn't spoken to for 60 plus years.

A lot has changed since the Brewers started winning in 2008. I don't have season tickets, because the Brewers changed my ticket plan. The accessibility of the players from 2008 to now is a total opposite whether its Miller Park and now Maryvale. There were many more opportunities for player access when the Brewers were losing, and when the Brewers win more items that people didn't think would sell are available for sale.

Community Moderator
I collect Hot Wheels at the moment. I had a bunch growing up and loved playing with them. Now that I have young kids, it's a chance to reconnect with a childhood hobby and introduce them. It's a combination of collecting to open and play/race with them on our track and I have some of my favorites that I collect and display. I'm about to move into customizing them to add another dimension and level of fun. I don't get into collecting and reselling as a business or side hustle. It has really ruined the hobby for many, including myself so I keep it small and specific.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

After many years having my stuff mostly packed away, we finished our basement remodeling project and I've been able to rediscover the things that I have bought over the past 30+ years.

I haven't bought anything new, as I'm trying to figure out what I have room for. I do check the auction sites for 70s era Brewers stuff, but haven't been the high bidder on anything.

Very little these days.

I am, however, getting into Legos now that my son is reaching an appropriate age. The quality and variety of sets these days is pretty neat. My wife and I started getting jealous of the fun our son was having, so Santa now brings everyone a big Lego set for Christmas.

Community Moderator
I am impressed by the business smarts of Lego. The sets they're releasing that target 30-40 year olds who now have disposable income and like stuff that reminds them of their childhood (the NES set, the Ghostbusters stuff, etc.) is absolute brilliance.

My daughter is 17 now, so our Lego days are behind us. She enjoyed building the Lego Friends and the Christmas scene sets, but we both thought Legos were too fragile to really play with. They look neat as assembled pieces, but like with jigsaw puzzles, once they were done, they were ready to be broken down and put away.

• 2 months later...
Leaf Pearl Hockey dropped yesterday after a couple of delays. As with all of the Pearl products since the line launched a few years back, the cards are gorgeous, it's full of 1/1s, and the cut sigs are full of good names. I'm not a fan of the 'hockey' part per se, but the autos/cuts really are multi-sport/Americana/Celebs, which Leaf does very well. Not interested in dropping $1-2k for a box, but always looking for value on the secondary market as the stuff starts to leak out to there.

Brewers police cards. Team sets from all of the small towns I can find. I collect yount stuff mostly and got way more excited to find a 1993 Lannon police team set than I am paying 28 bucks for some topps #d to 25 variant

Archived