Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-31: Tigers (Alexander) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 innings -- Urías gets first career walk-off hit]

Eye Black
Brewers official scorekeeper said if Urias would’ve touched second base it would’ve been a double.

Via Adam McCalvy: It's a single, per longtime official scorer Tim O'Driscoll. Urías would have had to step on second to get the double, even though the ball bounced over the wall.

Game is over when foot hits plate... not sure why him touching second is anything.....

Yet a HR is different.... I don’t know.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta give Keston some love for the bunt that in the end, won us the game.

If that is all he can contribute, at least it's something.

I feel bad for the kid. He is out there celebrating with the team, probably feeling low about his struggles, but puts on the happy face anyway.

He will turn it around, and when he does, I hope it is glorious!

How did the bunt win us the game? Narvaez scores the winning run regardless of whether he's on 2nd or 3rd on that Urias knock.

I agree with everything else, but that line seems like an attempt to lend credence to the sac bunt where none is found here. Same with the JBJ extra innings RBI the other night, the successful sac bunt was zero factor in the win.

Brewers official scorekeeper said if Urias would’ve touched second base it would’ve been a double.

Via Adam McCalvy: It's a single, per longtime official scorer Tim O'Driscoll. Urías would have had to step on second to get the double, even though the ball bounced over the wall.

O’Driscoll might want to check the rule book. Specifically section 9.06(f).

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Gotta give Keston some love for the bunt that in the end, won us the game.

If that is all he can contribute, at least it's something.

I feel bad for the kid. He is out there celebrating with the team, probably feeling low about his struggles, but puts on the happy face anyway.

He will turn it around, and when he does, I hope it is glorious!

How did the bunt win us the game? Narvaez scores the winning run regardless of whether he's on 2nd or 3rd on that Urias knock.

I agree with everything else, but that line seems like an attempt to lend credence to the sac bunt where none is found here. Same with the JBJ extra innings RBI the other night, the successful sac bunt was zero factor in the win.

If the outfield isn't playing in due to there being a runner on 3rd and only one out, the ball is likely caught.

Well, I think O’Discoll is right and wrong based on 9.06(f) and its commentary that goes over almost the exact situation..... he doesn’t get a double (right); (wrong) even if he did hit second base, the winning run is at 3rd base and would not require a double to score the run. Hit the base or not, by rule it is a single.

https://baseballrulesacademy.com/official-rule/mlb/9-06-determining-value-of-base-hits/

Think my dad played softball with the Detroit catcher back in '78

Ha! Sure looks like he’s from that generation. I had to look him up… born in 1995. I’m surprised he’s that old.

Geez, I must be getting old when 1995 seems like yesterday... :laughing

Could Adames have fit in with this group any quicker? My goodness I couldn't imagine getting traded during the season and being as well liked as he appears to be.

My friend here is a Yankees fan and she was thrilled when Tampa traded Adames away. ;)

Well, I think O’Discoll is right and wrong based on 9.06(f) and its commentary that goes over almost the exact situation..... he doesn’t get a double (right); (wrong) even if he did hit second base, the winning run is at 3rd base and would not require a double to score the run. Hit the base or not, by rule it is a single.

https://baseballrulesacademy.com/official-rule/mlb/9-06-determining-value-of-base-hits/

Correct. He has the right end result (Urias credited with a single) but whether or not Urias touched second base is irrelevant.

Touching the base would be relevant if Narvaez had been on second. Then Urias would have received credit for a double if he touched second, even if Narvaez crossed the plate first, and even if the ball had bounced off the wall and not over it.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived