Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-31: Tigers (Alexander) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 innings -- Urías gets first career walk-off hit]

Eye Black
Brewers official scorekeeper said if Urias would’ve touched second base it would’ve been a double.

Hm. Well, there it is then. I think that's silly in this situation bc the umpires "award" second base on these kinds of plays. It's the automatic result of the play. But whatever, right? Good win!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could Adames have fit in with this group any quicker? My goodness I couldn't imagine getting traded during the season and being as well liked as he appears to be.

Yeah, I think he brought that clubhouse presence back to this team that was missing all last season and most of this season. Not surprising the team is winning with that back.

The old winning doesn’t matter in may

Never change message board. Never change

Of course winning matters.

Scoreboard watching? Not so much.

Dude

No one is gnashing their teeth if Cubs/cardinals lose or win today. But it’s ok to follow them and all the rivals in the division. I don’t give a crap what date.

Modern baseball fans are so freaking weird on how they like to tell people how to be a fan or the one way to play the game. It’s almost exclusive to this sport. It’s weird

It’s probably one of the reasons why there aren’t as many casual fans anymore. Just hardcore dorks like us on a message board

I mean if someone can’t take pleasure in a Cubs loss in may without the Brian Kenny types screaming about what matters than what’s the point

My god

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The old winning doesn’t matter in may

Never change message board. Never change

Of course winning matters.

Scoreboard watching? Not so much.

Dude

No one is gnashing their teeth if Cubs/cardinals lose or win today. But it’s ok to follow them and all the rivals in the division. I don’t give a crap what date.

Modern baseball fans are so freaking weird on how they like to tell people how to be a fan or the one way to play the game. It’s almost exclusive to this sport. It’s weird

It’s probably one of the reasons why there aren’t as many casual fans anymore. Just hardcore dorks like us on a message board

I mean if someone can’t take pleasure in a Cubs loss in may without the Brian Kenny types screaming about what matters than what’s the point

My god

I think you are reading WAY too much into a throw-away comment. Of course I enjoy seeing the Cubs lose, regardless of the date. Just saying that the division standings are of little consequence in May, as so much can change. We have more than 100 games left in the season. That's all. Sorry, really wasn't intending to get snippy.

Looking at the rules (9.06 (f)), Urias would only get credit for a single even if he had run to second base. To paraphrase the rule, a batter can only get credit for as many bases as are advanced by the runner who scored the winning run. A home run hit over the fence is the only exception.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Looking at the rules (10.06 (f)), Urias would only get credit for a single even if he had run to second base. To paraphrase the rule, a batter can only get credit for as many bases as are advanced by the runner who scored the winning run. A home run hit over the fence is the only exception.

dumb rule on a ground rule double, he should get credit for the double since it bounced over the fence.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Per Adam McCalvy, Cain is going back on the injured list, according to Craig Counsell.

Good thing we have JBJ to use in his absence.

Gotta give Keston some love for the bunt that in the end, won us the game.

If that is all he can contribute, at least it's something.

I feel bad for the kid. He is out there celebrating with the team, probably feeling low about his struggles, but puts on the happy face anyway.

He will turn it around, and when he does, I hope it is glorious!

Brewers official scorekeeper said if Urias would’ve touched second base it would’ve been a double.

Hm. Well, there it is then. I think that's silly in this situation bc the umpires "award" second base on these kinds of plays. It's the automatic result of the play. But whatever, right? Good win!

A player still needs to touch the bases though. On a homer a player still needs to touch all the bases to get credit for it, even if they get hurt on the way around. I remember a highlight of women's college softball where 2 opponents carried a player the remainder of the way around the bases after she hit the walkoff homer and then got hurt somehow rounding the bases. If they hadn't helped her, she only would have gotten credit as far as she made on her own and the game would have continued with a pinch runner.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Here’s a famous grand-slam single.

Weird not seeing the screen covered in overlays. I stopped watching shortly after the grand slam. Since he never got to second, he only got a single, but what was the final score then? Did only one run score?

Edit: Nevermind… I decided to not be so lazy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_Single

Via Adam McCalvy: It's a single, per longtime official scorer Tim O'Driscoll. Urías would have had to step on second to get the double, even though the ball bounced over the wall.

Game is over when foot hits plate... not sure why him touching second is anything.....

Archived