Brewer Fanatic

The Bullpen

Are there any relievers we haven't seen that can help the bullpen that are currently in the minors?

Quintin Costa Torres

Miguel Sanchez

Ethan Small (second half to save innings on his arm)

Nathan Kirby

Bubba Derby

Blaine Hardy

Chad Sobotka

Are any of the AAA pitchers an option (we've seen some)?

Hoby Miller

Patrick Weigel

Zach Godley

The pen is sketchy!

Since they have some open 40 man space wouldn't mind seeing what Miguel Sanchez has to offer, another guy they can easily send up and down. Bobby Wahl is another guy once he comes back from injury later this summer. Wade LebBanc and Zach Godley are a couple of veterans that would require 40 mand spots but might get called up.

Why is Milner still in AAA? 8 innings, 1 hit, no runs, no walks and 13 K's at Nashville. Can't believe he's not a better option than Perdomo.

Maybe it's because of Milner's previous big league stats. 4.53 ERA - 5.83 FIP - 1.51 WHIP - 32 BBs in only 58 IPs - 1.7 HRs/9.... At this point just about anybody would be a better option than Perdomo. I guess if they tried Richards as bad as he'd been, Milner is an option.

Verified Member
Why is Milner still in AAA? 8 innings, 1 hit, no runs, no walks and 13 K's at Nashville. Can't believe he's not a better option than Perdomo.

He was sent down to make room for Yelich and I believe he has just passed his 10 days being optioned, so now he can be recalled.

Just sign Jeffress.

Kind of ridiculous he doesn't have a job.

Is it? All the peripheral numbers were not indicating him being good anymore. Not only that, but all MLB teams haven’t signed him and there was that weird tiff with his ex-crazy agent.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just sign Jeffress.

Kind of ridiculous he doesn't have a job.

Is it? All the peripheral numbers were not indicating him being good anymore. Not only that, but all MLB teams haven’t signed him and there was that weird tiff with his ex-crazy agent.

I hear you. But even his peripheral numbers last year are way better than Perdomo's. It's not like he's going to cost much.

Is it just me, or does Stearns really not seem to value a pen much early on in the season, and then value it a lot more at mid-season?

Seems like every Stearns pen is designed similarly. One or two elite high leverage arms. Then fill in the rest with journeymen or unproven power arms. Usually won't pay FA prices for a top arm or try to guess who will have a good year.

Then in July he'll go find a couple rentals for the home stretch who are cheap and having a good year.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just curious as to whether it's by design or just has happened to follow this template.

With how volatile the pen arms are, it’s not a bad strategy to see who is actually looking good and then acquiring them in a minor trade.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it just me, or does Stearns really not seem to value a pen much early on in the season, and then value it a lot more at mid-season?

Seems like every Stearns pen is designed similarly. One or two elite high leverage arms. Then fill in the rest with journeymen or unproven power arms. Usually won't pay FA prices for a top arm or try to guess who will have a good year.

Then in July he'll go find a couple rentals for the home stretch who are cheap and having a good year.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just curious as to whether it's by design or just has happened to follow this template.

Definitely a template I think. They never seem to seek out top "name" pen arms, but rather guys who are performing well, but are in secondary roles ... such as Pomeranz, Lyles, and Cedeno. That way you are getting a trusted arm, and not giving up a ton of assets to do it.

He traded away two middle relievers this year. Last year he traded one before the deadline. I think he tries to get what he wants all over the field before the season starts and trades for what he needs during the season. Some years it's bullpen depth of the rental variety, some years it's shortstops with years of control left.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He traded away two middle relievers this year. Last year he traded one before the deadline. I think he tries to get what he wants all over the field before the season starts and trades for what he needs during the season. Some years it's bullpen depth of the rental variety, some years it's shortstops with years of control left.

I can't think of one season (other than weird abbreviated COVID season) where he didn't go get bullpen rental(s) at the deadline.

I can see them calling up Ashby to pitch out of the pen like they did with Burnes and Woodruff back in 2018.

I definitely think we see Ashby this year too. Just no idea if they will use him as a straight 6th starter or a multi inning pen guy. My guess would be the latter as they've broken in Hader, Woodruff, and Burnes all this way.

The "is Hader a starter or reliever" debates seem forever ago now.

I can't think of one season (other than weird abbreviated COVID season) where he didn't go get bullpen rental(s) at the deadline.

That doesn't make it an organizational strategy of how to build a bullpen. No matter how small the trade losing something in the middle of a season is less desirable than losing nothing and having it the whole season. I think some or reading way too much into why he does it. Personally I think he tries to find relievers before the season starts and fails more often than not so he needs to trade his limited resources to get them. Just like he does for positional players like Schoop and Moustakas. It just so happens rental relievers tend to be in our price range more often. When he doesn't fail to fill his bullpen he doesn't trade. Thus last season he traded away bullpen help instead of getting it. This season so far is the same. If the pen holds up he won't get anyone. If it doesn't he'll be forced to trade assets to fill a need. Which, again, is less desirable than not having to give up something for it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Also think Ashby is a possibility in the second half. Good way to get him up, limit innings, and try to help the pen. Expect we'll see Sobotka as part of a shuffle since he's on the roster.

Bit of a leap, but Dylan File could also be in the mix if he comes back strong from the injury. He's been throwing off the mound for a few weeks now and expected to be back late June/July and is on the roster.

That doesn't make it an organizational strategy of how to build a bullpen. No matter how small the trade losing something in the middle of a season is less desirable than losing nothing and having it the whole season. I think some or reading way too much into why he does it. Personally I think he tries to find relievers before the season starts and fails more often than not so he needs to trade his limited resources to get them. Just like he does for positional players like Schoop and Moustakas. It just so happens rental relievers tend to be in our price range more often. When he doesn't fail to fill his bullpen he doesn't trade. Thus last season he traded away bullpen help instead of getting it. This season so far is the same. If the pen holds up he won't get anyone. If it doesn't he'll be forced to trade assets to fill a need. Which, again, is less desirable than not having to give up something for it.

The pen hasn't held up. They've got a few good pieces, but they'll definitely be in the market for a reliever or two. They have the 20th ranked pen in MLB despite having Josh Hader and just traded two of their better ones.

I also wouldn't compare any trade market to 2020 as it was far different than any other trade market in MLB history and you didn't need to rent a reliever for a month to make the playoffs as more than half the teams made it.

Community Moderator
The pen hasn't held up. They've got a few good pieces, but they'll definitely be in the market for a reliever or two. They have the 20th ranked pen in MLB despite having Josh Hader and just traded two of their better ones.

Coming into tonight Brewers relievers were 20th by FIP based WAR (0.7), 14th by runs allowed based WAR (1.0) & 9th in Win Probability Added (+1.67).

Their 55 shutdown outings rank 10th among MLB bullpens, while their 33 meltdown outings rank 19th.

Only nine bullpens have more wins (13) & only two have fewer losses (6).

They've given up most of their runs in low leverage situations & haven't blown very many games they should have won so far, I'd say that's holding up.

Coming into tonight Brewers relievers were 20th by FIP based WAR (0.7), 14th by runs allowed based WAR (1.0) & 9th in Win Probability Added (+1.67).

Their 55 shutdown outings rank 10th among MLB bullpens, while their 33 meltdown outings rank 19th.

They've given up most of their runs in low leverage situations & haven't blown very many games they should have won so far, I'd say that's holding up.

Counting on continuing to give up your runs in low leverage situations is partly luck based and not really a sustainable strategy.

They've stayed really healthy at the back end of the pen and it's still early. The depth will be tested at some point, and high leverage innings will be needed out of lesser relievers once load management becomes more of an issue in the pen.

They're also down 2 guys who were part of their success in higher leverage situations. I'd be shocked if they don't make some additions.

Community Moderator

No doubt, they'll make additions both externally & internally over the next couple months, & maybe they won't hold up as the season progresses, but they've held up so far & won more than twice as many games as they've lost to this point.

The Brewers are 6th in reliever Win Probability Added going back to 2017, they've literally been milking the margins around bullpen leverage for Stearns & company's entire competitive window, I trust they will continue to make their best effort to do so because it seems to be an integral element of their strategy.

Counting on continuing to give up your runs in low leverage situations is partly luck based and not really a sustainable strategy.

They've stayed really healthy at the back end of the pen and it's still early. The depth will be tested at some point, and high leverage innings will be needed out of lesser relievers once load management becomes more of an issue in the pen.

They're also down 2 guys who were part of their success in higher leverage situations. I'd be shocked if they don't make some additions.

Was Rasmussen really part of our success in higher level situations? He blew the game in his first high level situation against StL in the beginning of the year, pitched in games that weren’t super close (5+ run margin) for the next 7 appearances (one of which he gave up 2 runs that lead to needing to bring Hader in) and then had some higher level situations his last 6 appearance but was picked up by the offense in one (extra inning game vs Dodgers), got the save against Miami in the 10th (both of these games I believe there weren’t many other options IIRC) and then some closer games we were losing at the time of his appearance (kudos to him for keeping it close).

Also, is there anybody here who is arguing we shouldn’t attempt to improve the pen? I’d guess most would be shocked if they don’t make some additions.

Archived