Brewer Fanatic

The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!

jonescm128

Haven’t followed the Mets much this year but seeing Lindor hitting .220 with an OPS of .670. Maybe Yelich isn’t broken and the better explanation is it is just extremely hard to maintain MVP level play on a year to year basis unless you are an all time great like Trout. Seems like that might be the most logical reasoning and not a broken bone ruined his career theory...

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven’t followed the Mets much this year but seeing Lindor hitting .220 with an OPS of .670. Maybe Yelich isn’t broken and the better explanation is it is just extremely hard to maintain MVP level play on a year to year basis unless you are an all time great like Trout. Seems like that might be the most logical reasoning and not a broken bone ruined his career theory...

Its not just maintaining MVP level play, he has lost all of his power. He went from a .598 SLG in 2018 and a .671 SLG in 2019 to .387.

Here is hoping he has a second half turn around like 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not just maintaining MVP level play, he has lost all of his power. He went from a .598 SLG in 2018 and a .671 SLG in 2019 to .387.

Here is hoping he has a second half turn around like 2018.

Second half starts tonight and Yelich and Hiura are going to revert to their 2019 numbers. Lets go!

There is no evidence of anything suspicious but even me as a diehard Brewer and Yelich fan has begun to question how he was so great in 2018 and 2019 and became what he has become in 2020 and 2021. A broken kneecap surely can’t be the only reason.

I think some have mentioned an ailing back to be the culprit. If that's the case, it would make sense as to why Yelich can't lift the ball to save his life.

Yelich is a $25m a year .240, singles hitter now. It’s really depressing.

He's down to .210 since coming off the IL. Soon pitchers have to begin to challenge him and stop being so afraid to face him. It could get even more depressing.

There is no evidence of anything suspicious but even me as a diehard Brewer and Yelich fan has begun to question how he was so great in 2018 and 2019 and became what he has become in 2020 and 2021. A broken kneecap surely can’t be the only reason.

As we previously noted, his 1st half this year wasn’t all that different from his first half in 2018. His avg and power are down but bop higher

• 2 weeks later...
As much as Yelichs numbers are down. Anyone see Cody Bellingers? His fall from grace has been extreme. One big difference is he’s not signed long term. But man, his fall was hard.

Wow. Crazy to think the 1/2 guys in the MVP race have had such drastic declines. I know they are good friends too...

Yelich 1st Half vs 2nd Half Tracker (games through 7/26)

ABs: 187 / 34

AVG: .241 / .206

OBP: .399 / .270

SLG: .369 / .353

OPS: .768 / .623

ISO: .128 / .147

BB%: 19.7 / 8.1

K%: 27.7 / 27.0

2B: 7 / 2

HR: 5 / 1

His decline has been remarkable so I will continue to track it :ohwell

As much as Yelichs numbers are down. Anyone see Cody Bellingers? His fall from grace has been extreme. One big difference is he’s not signed long term. But man, his fall was hard.

What I thought was incredibly stupid then and really seems so now, but after the 2019 season, he decided to change his swing. Dude, you just won the MVP, if it aint broke don't change it. But he did and the results ever since have been pretty horrific.

• 2 weeks later...
It’s even weirder that we’ve had a successful season. Just doesn’t seem possible.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Either his back is really bad, which I don't really think is the cause, or his head is messed up because he's afraid of destroying his knee again. Hopefully he can see a sports psychologist and get things figured out.

This is all based on nothing but my own unprofessional observations obviously.

He's reached basically having his worst season ever as a MLB player. Just brutal. No SLG and poor BA. Bat him 8th. Walk and SB while Pitcher tries bunting him over to 2b or 3b if he steals 2b. He doesnt belong in the top 4 anymore.

I mean, this just isn’t true.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He's reached basically having his worst season ever as a MLB player. Just brutal. No SLG and poor BA. Bat him 8th. Walk and SB while Pitcher tries bunting him over to 2b or 3b if he steals 2b. He doesnt belong in the top 4 anymore.

How is that not true? Look at the numbers and it's far and away his worst season. At least last year he hit some dingers.

How is that not true? Look at the numbers and it's far and away his worst season. At least last year he hit some dingers.

I misread. I thought he was saying it’s the worst season by a mlb player ever.