Brewer Fanatic

The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!

jonescm128

My goal for Yelich is for him to return to what he was for the first half of 2018. People seem to forget that at the All Star break, Yelich was having merely an excellent season, but nothing even close to the unworldly performance of the second half that propelled him to the MVP.

I remember driving home from the second last game of the 2018 season when Yelich hit 2 HRs to lead the Brewers to a 6-5 win over the Tigers and a tie for first with the Cubs, who had lost earlier that day. I told my daughters that I hope they are enjoying this because they might not ever see anything like it again. I did not expect him to start 2019 like it was the second half of 2018 all over again, and he wasn’t maintaining that torrid pace when he went down with the kneecap injury.

Even without the injury I expected that 2018 and 2019 were going to be the best two years of Yelich’s career. But I didn’t expect the dramatic drop off that we’ve see. I just want the guy who can consistently drive the ball to all fields and hit like 25 HRs. It doesn’t have to be the guy that hits 40 plus HRs while winning batting titles. I don think that’s realistic.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m getting kind of tired of Yelich rolling over the ball and hitting a harmless dribbler to the first baseman. It’s the kind Of swing that a 38-year old on his last legs of his career would have.

I’m hopeful, too, that he can at least return to “Marlins” Yelichamd provide some solid play. It looks more like either his knee is still giving him trouble or he’s afraid of re-injury and compensating for that with a rather weak swing with no true attack in it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I’m getting kind of tired of Yelich rolling over the ball and hitting a harmless dribbler to the first baseman. It’s the kind Of swing that a 38-year old on his last legs of his career would have.

I’m hopeful, too, that he can at least return to “Marlins” Yelichamd provide some solid play. It looks more like either his knee is still giving him trouble or he’s afraid of re-injury and compensating for that with a rather weak swing with no true attack in it.

His “roll over” to first last night was hit 109.8 mph. He is hitting the ball very hard he’s just not getting the ball in the air. Even his home run the other night had top spin.

His “roll over” to first last night was hit 109.8 mph. He is hitting the ball very hard he’s just not getting the ball in the air. Even his home run the other night had top spin.

Keep in mind that I didn't watch the entire game as I was playing cards with friends. But I saw one at bat that was a slow bouncer that the first baseman made an easy play of. (It seem that this "roll over" has been happening often, which is why I mentioned it.) The other one, he also hit on the ground and it got by both the first and second basemen for a hit, which is the at bat that I believe you are referencing.

Please forgive me if I am mis-remembering this information.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• 2 weeks later...
Since June 1st, Yelich is slugging around .460 (I haven't done the math with today's 1/4 game added in). He's got 10 hits this month: 3 of them are doubles and 2 of them are homers. He's showing signs of life.

So in a small sample where he's been playing well he's still slugging 26 points less than his career average.

I'm afraid the Yelich we paid for is not the Yelich we are going to get for that extension.

Since June 1st, Yelich is slugging around .460 (I haven't done the math with today's 1/4 game added in). He's got 10 hits this month: 3 of them are doubles and 2 of them are homers. He's showing signs of life.

So in a small sample where he's been playing well he's still slugging 26 points less than his career average.

I'm afraid the Yelich we paid for is not the Yelich we are going to get for that extension.

That was sort of given to me. However I was hoping to at least get an all-star for 5 years or so. Not Year 7 Braun in Year 1.

Whatcha going to do? There is no way around the fact talent costs money. Further professional sports contracts are built on an inherently flawed model of paying for anticipated athletic performance years into the future based on prior performance. You and I have a stat sheet and argue, real baseball people have endless video and in person scouting reports and it’s still basically guess work.

Yet I suspect if the Brewers churned their roster every three years and didn’t pay anyone market rate salaries, you’d probably grouse that the GM is an idiot for failing to build a winner.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think this should be the end of Haines

I think this should be the begining of Haines

It was the best of Haines, it was the worst of Haines...

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Interesting tidbits on how teams are attacking Yelich this year. First off, opponents seem like they have found out how to effectively shift against him.

2018 - he saw shifts less than 2% of the time

2019 - shifts 32% of the time...wOBA - no shift = .428 vs wOBA - shift = .470

2020 - shifts 54% of the time...wOBA - no shift = .376 vs wOBA - shift = .315

2021 - shifts 59% of the time...wOBA - no shift = .405 vs wOBA - shift = .322

Less significant but also interesting is he's been seeing less fastballs and more breaking pitches than he's seen at any other point in his career.

FB % = 53% xBA = .266

Breaking % = 32% xBA = .179

FB % = 56% xBA = .271

Breaking % = 32% xBA = .221

2017 - 2019

FB % = ~58% xBA = ~.350

Breaking % = ~27% xBA = ~.245

Have to think the increased breaking pitches are likely contributing to his lower swing % and increased walk rate but also might be a contributing factor to him squaring up less fastballs if he is having to take more time reading the pitch. The breaking pitches he's essentially rolling right over with -6 LA. Especially glaring comparing it to his 15 LA on breaking pitches back in 2019...which is the highest LA of any pitch during his career.

Hopefully the rest of the lineup hitting better can provide Yelich more protection and force pitchers to throw him more fastballs. Also can prevent teams from shifting as effectively if he's hitting with more guys on base. His hard hit % is top 6% in the league, so here's hoping the "hitting is contagious" saying applies and greater production from the rest of the lineup will be a contributing factor to Yelich returning closer to his MVP form.

Hiura looks like he is slipping back to his early season days again. 4 for his last 22 with 11 whiffs. He again looks like he has no clue. Fastballs right down the middle and he swings under them or is late.

We absolutely have to trade for a first baseman. I still think there is a chance that Hiura can rediscover his hitting ability but I doubt its going to happen this year.

If we wanted to dump Yelich would anyone be willing to take his contract.

Oh good, you’re back… the Brewers must be losing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You'd most likely have to eat something significant to trade Yelich. Anytime a trade of a huge contract occurs it almost always involves a pretty substantial salary bite. Stanton, Arenado, etc. Heck, the Mariners had to eat some of A-Rods salary just to trade him to the Yankees.

If we wanted to dump Yelich would anyone be willing to take his contract.

Oh good, you’re back… the Brewers must be losing.

If you don't like what I have to say ignore me like I do for your Braun nonsense.

The difference is mine are jokes. Your posts are just, yeah…

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Heck, the Mariners had to eat some of A-Rods salary just to trade him to the Yankees.

Except A-Rod signed as a free agent with the Rangers before being traded to the Yankees with cash for Alfonso Soriano. The M’s never compensated anyone to take A-Rod