Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-27: Padres (Weathers) at Brewers (Houser) [Brewers win, 6-5 in 10 innings -- Houser with a stellar start; Adames tallies 4 hits; JBJ hits the walk-off winner]

Eye Black
Who saw that the Rays used Feyerheusen to close last night in a 1-0 game. He gave up a HR to Benintendi leading off, but retired the side in order after that, and pitched the 10th without surrendering a run, even after the Royals bunted the free runner to third. He then got the win when the Rays scored in the last of the 10th.

and I'm pretty sure he got the save the night before too.

He had a save on Sunday.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who saw that the Rays used Feyerheusen to close last night in a 1-0 game. He gave up a HR to Benintendi leading off, but retired the side in order after that, and pitched the 10th without surrendering a run, even after the Royals bunted the free runner to third. He then got the win when the Rays scored in the last of the 10th.

and I'm pretty sure he got the save the night before too.

He had a save on Sunday.

I’m positive their GM said they view him as an end of game reliever or having end of game stuff

As bad as the offense has been this year, they aren't actually good at run prevention either. They do have four pitchers who have been outstanding and when three of them are starters and one is a closer, that's pretty good. All others have been replacement level or worse though.

Community Moderator
As bad as the offense has been this year, they aren't actually good at run prevention either. They do have four pitchers who have been outstanding and when three of them are starters and one is a closer, that's pretty good. All others have been replacement level or worse though.

Yep...this isn't even a top-10 pitching staff. Another year where you look at the stats vs. the W-L record and wonder how Counsell manages to pull it off.

During this three-year playoff run, it feels like the Brewers have had great depth. Lots of 1-2 WAR players, plus an MVP and a lockdown stable of BP arms.

This year, though I think you are right on. The roster is very superficial.

Yep...this isn't even a top-10 pitching staff. Another year where you look at the stats vs. the W-L record and wonder how Counsell manages to pull it off.

My gut reaction says luck. But the Brewers have outperformed their run differential for a few years now under Craig.

Now, Craig really needs to be a little smarter here. We've dealt with this runner at 2nd rule for a while now. SAVE YOUR CLOSER FOR THE 10TH!! Especially with where they're at in the lineup. This should be a no brainer.

Hader gets 3 outs and they must be in the 9th or the sky will fall, so sayeth the 2021 version of Craig Counsell.

My gut reaction says luck. But the Brewers have outperformed their run differential for a few years now under Craig.

Baseball-reference agrees... 3 Games worth of Luck (W-L minus pythW-L)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2021-standings.shtml

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Community Moderator
Hader has never seemed like much of a firefighter. I see why they prefer to bring him in with the bases empty. With that in mind (and knowing what the other bullpen options are), I'd rather have Williams work himself out of the jam.

Hader has never seemed like much of a firefighter. I see why they prefer to bring him in with the bases empty. With that in mind (and knowing what the other bullpen options are), I'd rather have Williams work himself out of the jam.

He hasn't? When did he struggle when brought in with runners on during an inning?

Archived