Brewer Fanatic

LHRP options

I would think that it wouldn't cost that much to get Tony Watson from the Angels.

Taylor Rogers from the Twins would be nice, but he will cost a lot more. He was their closer two years ago. Paul Fry will probably cost a lot more than Watson too, but he's been impressive the last two years. Maybe a potential starter like Bettinger will entice them.

Caleb Smith might be another lower-cost option; walks are a little high but he's been decent since moving into the bullpen.

Just bring up Milner and keep him around longer than one game. He's retired 16 of the 17 hitters he's faced in AAA and fanned 8 of the 17, and didn't allow a run in spring training. Gave up a solo HR in 2 innings in one appearance. Hasn't walked anyone in any of his games this year.

Perdomo is not ready for being used against the hottest team in baseball.

As for replacing the two relievers traded, I don't see a trade until close to the deadline. They'll go with Richards and Yardley with Boxberger getting key spots too.

Perdomo is close to unusable unless he’s up 5 or more runs.

It's not just the number of runs, it's the opponent. SD has been the hottest team in baseball. They were licking their chops when the saw Perdomo come in. I listened to part of the game from SD announcers. Once they got behind, they talked about getting the game tight enough against Brewer pen and forcing usage of Hader. They accomplished that. Perdomo was cooked when for some reason Pina called a slider on his first pitch. I knew Profar wasn't going to swing and Perdomo got behind right away. Perdomo needs to be honing his craft in the minors. Milner is a much better option and much less likely to be overwhelmed by the situation.

Which he was last night, and he did all he could do to lose that game.

He isn't usable for any situation, not even with a 5 run lead.

It's not just the number of runs, it's the opponent. SD has been the hottest team in baseball. They were licking their chops when the saw Perdomo come in. I listened to part of the game from SD announcers. Once they got behind, they talked about getting the game tight enough against Brewer pen and forcing usage of Hader. They accomplished that. Perdomo was cooked when for some reason Pina called a slider on his first pitch. I knew Profar wasn't going to swing and Perdomo got behind right away. Perdomo needs to be honing his craft in the minors. Milner is a much better option and much less likely to be overwhelmed by the situation.

Milner's MLB history has been abysmal. He has shown nothing to say he would be better in Milwaukee. Perdomo has severe control problems and is not MLB ready. Neither would offer CC much. I wonder if Blaine Hardy is any better. Best bet is a trade for a LHRP.

Kind of like the Adames trade which filled an immediate need I think the Brewers could pry Daniel Norris from the Tigers. He is making $3 million+ and the Tigers are horrible, isn't having a real good season right now but would certainly think it is an upgrade over Perdomo/Milner.

Kind of like the Adames trade which filled an immediate need I think the Brewers could pry Daniel Norris from the Tigers. He is making $3 million+ and the Tigers are horrible, isn't having a real good season right now but would certainly think it is an upgrade over Perdomo/Milner.

Does Norris offer much more than Milner, especially the way he's going this year (10 ERs in 18 IPs)? I'm wondering about Caleb Smith from the D'backs. He'd cost more to obtain, but a better option for CC.

Community Moderator
I'm hoping QTC might be a viable option at some point this season.

QTC and Clayton Andrews, to be honest. Both looked good prior to 2020.

QTC currently has a 13/10 K/BB in 9.2 IP.

Andrews is a little better I guess at 11/5 K/BB in 9.1 IP, though he apparently has some shoulder issues at the moment?

I'd love it if either could get some MLB outs at some point this year, but right now it looks like they'd really only be in line for mop up duty.

Ashby/Small are probably better bets as internal options, though I'd imagine anyone they're hoping to pitch in high leverage spots will likely have to come from outside of the organization.

Caleb Smith- Diamondbacks

He’d be someone to target now that he’s a pen guy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

QTC currently has a 13/10 K/BB in 9.2 IP.

Andrews is a little better I guess at 11/5 K/BB in 9.1 IP, though he apparently has some shoulder issues at the moment?

I'd love it if either could get some MLB outs at some point this year, but right now it looks like they'd really only be in line for mop up duty.

Ashby/Small are probably better bets as internal options, though I'd imagine anyone they're hoping to pitch in high leverage spots will likely have to come from outside of the organization.

Yeah the results aren't stellar at this point but keep in mind, he pitched a very little bit in 2019, no live action in 2020, so he's still kind of getting his feet back under him. Certainly wasn't on his A game Friday night, but otherwise not too bad. I'm not going so far as to predict he'll put it together, go on a nice run and earn a callup later this summer. But I definitely could see it happening.

Community Moderator

No doubt QTC is still knocking the rust off, but even before TJ he walked 86 in 185 IP from 2016-18, a 4.2 BB9, so he's always had some wildness in there.

But yeah, if he can get his walk rate under control over the next couple months I could see him getting a shot at some point later this summer.

I'd give Nate Kirby a shot. 1.80 ERA in 10 innings, .409 OPS against at AA. He has been dominant in a small sample. He is also a 6 year minor league FA if we dont put him on the 40 man at the end of the year so we may as well see what we got. Otero has pitched well in even a smaller sample.

Ashby, just like how we groomed Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta.

I would say this is the way we improve the pen before the trading deadline.

I can see them going to any Milner, Ashby, Small, Kirby, Derby for help. All except Derby are lefties. We aren't going to put them in the pressure cooker their first times out.

Don't know anything about another lefty, Blaine Hardy. He would seem like a guy that could be brought up at any time also, MLB experience.

Hardy is a grizzled veteran who's been starting at Nashville but has plenty of major league experience as a reliever. He's coming off TJ light surgery, but he was good in Arizona and has been fine at Nashville. If a roster spot opens, I'd be shocked if he doesn't see time in a Brewer uniform this season.

Archived