Brewer Fanatic

Brewers AS candidates

adambr2
Burnes > Peralta…easy choice.

What are you basing the "easy choice" off of, out of curiosity. Freddy has been better in almost every stat category from old school stats to next gen stats.

Wins, losses, ERA, Starts, CG, IP, SO, Opp Avg, R/9, WAR, R

The only two things that Burns has done better are walks allowed and HR allowed. But even with his big lead in those two, they have an identical WHIP, and Freddy allows fewer runs per 9.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Corbin is deserving, but I don't think he's clearly better than Freddy, especially as of late.

Burnes is better in K/9, BB/9, HR/9, xERA, FIP, xFIP, and Fangraphs WAR by 1.4 wins. Burnes is closer to DeGrom than Peralta is to Burnes.

The BB-9 of course gives Burnes better K-9 and the HR-9 of course gives him the better Fip. Pretty Sure Freddy was best in baseball at H-9 when I last looked. And his K-9 would win K-9 on the year in other seasons. I don't think for this season these two are far apart in value. Less BB-9 reduces chance for hurt when HRs happen. Burnes will see quite a change when he allows another HR. Freddy may walk more but giving up less hit-9, means less chances for an impact hit to hurt you. And he's had a share of HRs that greatly impacted his stats. 15 of his 23 runs allowed are on the 9HRs he's given up. Burnes with his 3HRs allowed only giving up 4 runs out of 25 runs-23 runs allowed.

I look at it this way. It'll be harder for Burnes to keep up his stats than it will be for Freddy through the end of the season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crazy as I remember in the 90’s we would basically get our one mandatory guy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Crazy as I remember in the 90’s we would basically get our one mandatory guy.

I remember getting our one mandatory guy and then it seemed like he'd never actually get into the game.

It used to bother me that the Brewers have been in the league that's been beaten in ASGs going back what seems like forever, now I'm just used to it. This must be a similar feeling to what it's like being a fan of the Detroit Lions.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Corbin Burnes joins Rollie Fingers (1981) as the only Brewers pitchers to be credited with a loss in an ASG. There have been no Brewers pitchers to earn a win. Prince Fielder (2011) is the only Brewers player to earn the ASG MVP.

As far as I can tell no Brewers pitcher has registered a save in an ASG.

Former Brewers draftee and closer Doug Jones has an ASG save in 1989 while representing the Cleveland Indians and an ASG win in 1994 while representing the Philadelphia Phillies.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived