Brewer Fanatic

Brewers AS candidates

adambr2

Burnes > Peralta…easy choice. I think Peralta is still somewhat likely to go as a replacement though. We shall see.

Realmuto isn’t really a head-scratcher. You could argue Smith/Narvaez were more deserving…but, name recognition. His offense isn’t that far behind them and he is regarded for having really good defense. That being said it can’t be often a .300 BA at catcher doesn’t make it to the AS game.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not surprised we don't have a position player on the All-Star team. When your team and its players are barely mentioned by the national media fans of other teams don't know who our players are. Usually these types of squads are basically popularity contests. If fans don't know about a player it is hard to get enough votes.

Burnes > Peralta…easy choice. I think Peralta is still somewhat likely to go as a replacement though. We shall see.

Realmuto isn’t really a head-scratcher. You could argue Smith/Narvaez were more deserving…but, name recognition. His offense isn’t that far behind them and he is regarded for having really good defense. That being said it can’t be often a .300 BA at catcher doesn’t make it to the AS game.

Arent the reserves picked and not voted on? That's why I'm surprised Smith or Narvaez didnt get the backup catcher spot.

Burnes > Peralta…easy choice.

What are you basing the "easy choice" off of, out of curiosity. Freddy has been better in almost every stat category from old school stats to next gen stats.

Wins, losses, ERA, Starts, CG, IP, SO, Opp Avg, R/9, WAR, R

The only two things that Burns has done better are walks allowed and HR allowed. But even with his big lead in those two, they have an identical WHIP, and Freddy allows fewer runs per 9.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Corbin is deserving, but I don't think he's clearly better than Freddy, especially as of late.

Verified Member

What are you basing the "easy choice" off of, out of curiosity.

It's a reward for having such a great "season" last year too. He's done it for longer than Freddy.

What are you basing the "easy choice" off of, out of curiosity. Freddy has been better in almost every stat category from old school stats to next gen stats.

The only two things that Burns has done better are walks allowed and HR allowed. But even with his big lead in those two, they have an identical WHIP, and Freddy allows fewer runs per 9.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Corbin is deserving, but I don't think he's clearly better than Freddy, especially as of late.

Burnes is better in K/9, BB/9, HR/9, xERA, FIP, xFIP, and Fangraphs WAR by 1.4 wins. Burnes is closer to DeGrom than Peralta is to Burnes.

Burnes is better in K/9, BB/9, HR/9, xERA, FIP, xFIP, and Fangraphs WAR by 1.4 wins. Burnes is closer to DeGrom than Peralta is to Burnes.

Yup...and as someone else said he was a star last year too. Add in his well documented record at the start of the year and its a pretty easy choice. I think Peralta is close behind, but in that situation the guy with a better track record and media time is going to get the selection.

Arent the reserves picked and not voted on? That's why I'm surprised Smith or Narvaez didnt get the backup catcher spot.

Yes, but that's no different than fan voting. You just have less people voting, the more well known names usually have an advantage still. JT Realmuto has been a star for years, two AS appearances, two SS awards, a Top 15 MVP finish, and a gold glove award. While it is advertised as rewarding that years performance, it certainly wants to reward name recognition too.

It's often this way, the AS selection process seems to have a built-in lag, and players who have a breakout one year often don't get recognized until the following year. Burnes put himself on the radar last year and of course had the crazy start to the season. Freddy and Narvaez are both close, and if there are injuries I could easily see one or both ending up on the team. (Wasn't Posey injured over the weekend, for example?)

Also, I never thought I'd see the day that the Brewers had two home-grown starters in the All Star game, with two more deserving pitchers in the mix as well.

Just dawned on me, Peralta probably has zero chance to be an replacement addition due to the fact he pitches Saturday.

I can’t recall in past years, but I don’t think they will name the next best guy as a replacement just to replace him because he can’t pitch either. Maybe I am wrong though.

Community Moderator
Just dawned on me, Peralta probably has zero chance to be an replacement addition due to the fact he pitches Saturday.

I can’t recall in past years, but I don’t think they will name the next best guy as a replacement just to replace him because he can’t pitch either. Maybe I am wrong though.

Freddy Peralta has been added to the NL All Star Game team. He’s replacing Brandon Woodruff.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Freddy Peralta has been added to the NL All Star Game team. He’s replacing Brandon Woodruff.

I always thought Saturday starters got booted too, but I suppose it has only been the Sunday starters.

Is Woodruff still an All-Star this year then, now that he’s been replaced? Does he still go to the festivities and be announced?

Yah, they go and do all the stuff. Peralta and Woodruff are both AS and neither has any kind of asterisks on their selection. They are all the same.

Even those cowards from Houston are All Stars just like everyone else...even though we know why they are hiding at home.

Is Woodruff still an All-Star this year then, now that he’s been replaced? Does he still go to the festivities and be announced?

Yah, they go and do all the stuff. Peralta and Woodruff are both AS and neither has any kind of asterisks on their selection. They are all the same.

Even those cowards from Houston are All Stars just like everyone else...even though we know why they are hiding at home.

Correa is apparently hiding out at home because he’s on the COVID protocol list.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Molina selected over Narvaez? That’s some ********.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Molina selected over Narvaez? That’s some ********.

Sure is. What a crock.

Omar: .301/.397/.868

Molina: .258/.305/.722

Do the respective league managers of the ASG choose the replacements or ?

Archived