Brewer Fanatic

Brewers AS candidates

adambr2

Burnes has been the best pitcher in baseball this year. The 2 missed starts hurt him in some counting stats, so maybe it isn't as clear how good he's been. Which I know the people of vote actually care about those stats.

If he isn't an all star it's an absolute crime.

He has a .97 FIP for chrissake. That is an absolutely incredible number.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine Burnes and Woodruff aren't easy locks as of today (June 7th). There is still time for one to falter a bit and make it more debatable, but right now Fangraphs has both in the Top 5 in all of baseball. Freddy Peralta (#15 I believe) could definitely be a victim of not wanting three starters from the same team on the roster.

Carson Kelly has been miserable for the past few weeks so that helps open the door for Narvaez a bit. Posey and Realmuto are probably ahead of he based on name recognition while being better. Will Smith (also in a slump like Kelly) is about even with Narvaez, but Narvaez has the better offensive numbers. I think Narvaez is starting to play into an AS selection if there are three catchers taken.

As of June 7th I would guess:

Hader

Woodruff

Burnes

Narvaez

Do they want the best players, if so, Woodruff, Burnes, and Perlata are locks, as well as Hader.

If they are concerned with spreading it out amongst all the teams, and not having too many starters from one team, even if they deserve it, then that is garbage.

Our big 3 all deserve it, and it should be obvious.

A lolt can happen between now and the conclusion of voting, but as of this minute, those 4 guys should be in without a second thought.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It is about representing all teams...I don’t find that as garbage. Often really bad teams with one AS it ends up a pitcher .

Of course pitchers drop like flies from injuries or not being able to pitch in the AS game. I wouldn’t be shocked if Peralta makes it that route.

In recent memory I think the most a team has had is 2 starting pitchers on the All Star team. 2017 Dbacks and 2018 Dodgers. I might be remembering wrong but I don't think a team has had 3 starters selected for the All Star game at least not recently. Maybe the Braves in the 90's with Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine, but I can't remember any recent teams having more than 2.

Narvaez is probably the only position player that has a chance. Depending on how you look at the stats Narvaez is the 2nd or 3rd best catcher in the NL so far. Posey is currently #1 followed by Narvaez and Realmuto.

In recent memory I think the most a team has had is 2 starting pitchers on the All Star team. 2017 Dbacks and 2018 Dodgers. I might be remembering wrong but I don't think a team has had 3 starters selected for the All Star game at least not recently. Maybe the Braves in the 90's with Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine, but I can't remember any recent teams having more than 2.

Narvaez is probably the only position player that has a chance. Depending on how you look at the stats Narvaez is the 2nd or 3rd best catcher in the NL so far. Posey is currently #1 followed by Narvaez and Realmuto.

Right now the Brewers big 3 are in the top 10 pitchers in MLB in WAR.

And top 7 in the NL.

If ever there were a case for 3 SP's being named to the All Star game this has to be it. It's still early June so that can change but if they keep it up it would feel like a petty slight in my opinion (if all 3 didn't make it).

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Peralta is 10th in NL pitching WAR right now so not particularly close. Obviously its not a WAR contest but Peralta has all the other factors working against him. Not a recognizable name, no track record of success, 3rd best pitcher on his team, etc. So I agree his only way in is if Burnes or Woodruff drops out.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

With only 12 roster spots for pitchers it would be difficult for Peralta unless he really pitches lights out over the next 17 days which likely gives him 3 starts. I'm going to assume up to 7 starting pitchers get selected and the remaining 5 go to relief pitchers, give or take possibly bringing 1 extra starter and keeping relievers to 4 spots. Voting ends June 24.

Also have to assume some pitchers will opt out due to workload/recent outings and just not being available so others have a chance to sneak in as replacements.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I was wondering about the phillies "4 ace" season so I looked it up. 3 of the 4 made the all star team with Oswalt being injured end of april into August. I don't have the time to look up stats to see if they "earned" it, but at least there is precedence.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Right now the Brewers big 3 are in the top 10 pitchers in MLB in WAR.

And top 7 in the NL.

If ever there were a case for 3 SP's being named to the All Star game this has to be it. It's still early June so that can change but if they keep it up it would feel like a petty slight in my opinion (if all 3 didn't make it).

I'll admit I was excited to read this, and then I clicked on the link. Kevin Gausman is number two on the list, so now I must pump the brakes a little bit and just try to enjoy the ride.

Do they still have the fan voting for last player on the roster? I think they get Woodruff, Burnes, Hader. We'll have vote one of Narvaez or Peralta in, and hopefully the other gets added due to an injury or something. If Peralta keeps this up for another 3 starts, he's definitely deserving.

Community Moderator

Jim Bowden wrote an article for The Athletic predicting the NL All Star team.

He has 3 Braves starting position players. He also has one position player from every team in the NL Central also starting the game, except for the Brewers. He doesn’t have any Brewers position player as either starting or bench players for the game. In fact in addition to the 9 starting position players (counting a DH) and 11 bench players, he also has a list of 6 position players who “just missed” inclusion, and he doesn’t have any Brewers among that group either. So basically no Brewers among the top 26 NL position player candidates.

On the pitching side he has four Brewers included as making the group of 11 NL pitchers for the All Star Game: Corbin Burnes, Josh Hader, Freddy Peralta, Brandon Woodruff

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So basically no Brewers among the top 26 NL position player candidates.

Narvaez is currently 11th among all NL players in WAR, but I'm not surprised Bowden doesn't know that or at least consider it worthy of a mention if he does.

Would have to imagine at least one of these four NL backstops will be watching from home & it will prolly be Omar on account of name recognition/other factors, but he's certainly been deserving to this point...

Buster | 172 PAs | 175 wRC+ | 2.4 WAR

Omar | 157 PAs | 151 wRC+ | 2.1 WAR

Smith | 194 PAs | 132 wRC+ | 2.1 WAR

Realmuto | 171 PAs | 146 wRC+ | 2.0 WAR

So basically no Brewers among the top 26 NL position player candidates.

Narvaez is currently 11th among all NL players in WAR, but I'm not surprised Bowden doesn't know that or at least consider it worthy of a mention if he does.

Would have to imagine at least one of these four NL backstops will be watching from home & it will prolly be Omar on account of name recognition/other factors, but he's certainly been deserving to this point...

Buster | 172 PAs | 175 wRC+ | 2.4 WAR

Omar | 157 PAs | 151 wRC+ | 2.1 WAR

Smith | 194 PAs | 132 wRC+ | 2.1 WAR

Realmuto | 171 PAs | 146 wRC+ | 2.0 WAR

Evert team gets an All Star and Carson Kelly from the Diamondbacks had a pretty good chance to be their candidate.

Community Moderator
https://www.mlb.com/news/most-deserving-all-star-for-each-mlb-team

Brewers: Christian Yelich, OF

The Brewers' anonymity has increased exactly as Yelich has struggled; they need him, and his profile, back.

lol wut

Well it’s written by a guy who hosts a Cardinals podcast, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in it.

• 3 weeks later...
Community Moderator

Here are all the 2021 All-Star Game position player starters at each position.

FIRST BASE

National League: Freddie Freeman (ATL)

American League: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (TOR)

SECOND BASE

National League: Adam Frazier (PIT)

American League: Marcus Semien (TOR)

SHORTSTOP

National League: Fernando Tatis Jr. (SD)

American League: Xander Bogaerts (BOS)

THIRD BASE

National League: Nolan Arenado (STL)

American League: Rafael Devers (BOS)

CATCHER

National League: Buster Posey (SF)

American League: Salvador Perez (KC)

DESIGNATED HITTER

Shohei Ohtani (LAA)

OUTFIELD

American League:

Mike Trout (LAA)

Aaron Judge (NYY)

Teoscar Hernández (TOR)

National League:

Ronald Acuña Jr. (ATL)

Nick Castellanos (CIN)

Jesse Winker (CIN)

So among the 8 starting NL position players 4 of them are from the NL Central, specifically representing the Reds (2), Cardinals (1), and Pirates (1).

Archived