Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-24: Padres (Snell) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 5-3 -- Woodruff dominates over 7.0 IP and lowers season ERA to 1.41; Padres rally in 9th falls short]

Eye Black

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
The only Brewers player with more than one career hit off of Blake Snell is Jackie Bradley Jr. who is 6-for-20 with 4 doubles and one walk against Snell. Regardless, I would guess that JBJ will get the day off against the Padres lefty starter.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

47s

Keston Hiura is being called up by the Milwaukee Brewers, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Not sure if a week and a half of games is going to make all that much difference, but the numbers he was putting up in Nashville were certainly a night-and-day difference from what he's done so far this year in MLB, aside from a similarly high K rate. It will be interesting to see if his approach at the plate is any different.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

47s

Keston Hiura is being called up by the Milwaukee Brewers, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Not sure if a week and a half of games is going to make all that much difference, but the numbers he was putting up in Nashville were certainly a night-and-day difference from what he's done so far this year in MLB, aside from a similarly high K rate. It will be interesting to see if his approach at the plate is any different.

Seems a bit early to me.

How can he turn things around this quickly? His AAA numbers are great but MLB pitching should be a lot different than AAA pitching.

It would be a huge mistake to call him up to soon, then have him struggle right out of the gates again.

Oh well, someone else gets paid to make those decisions.

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

47s

Seems a bit early to me.

How can he turn things around this quickly? His AAA numbers are great but MLB pitching should be a lot different than AAA pitching.

It would be a huge mistake to call him up to soon, then have him struggle right out of the gates again.

Oh well, someone else gets paid to make those decisions.

He was swinging and missing 90 mph meatballs right down the middle before he was sent down. Not sure if that was the case in AAA but those pitchers can at least give him those looks.

Hiura seems like he needed a mental break as much as anything. Maybe having the time off to be able to attend to his family matters was needed more than anything else.

Looking forward to seeing him in the lineup. This team's ceiling is pretty closely correlated with how he hits

Was thinking end of the month was a good timeline if Hiura was still hitting well in Nashville. But there's going to be at least four left-handed starters between now and then. I don't mind seeing if he can translate the fix and/or hot streak to help us now.

Verified Member
Hiura seems like he needed a mental break as much as anything. Maybe having the time off to be able to attend to his family matters was needed more than anything else.

This makes the most sense to me, making sense of what he has looked like before and after the break. Time to take a breath and reset can make a big difference. We’ll see. I’m excited to see!

Community Moderator
Vogelbach has to be one of the most frustrating hitters I've ever seen. The guy has talent, a good eye, and can crush the ball but someone needs to tell him about exit velocity. Quit trying to poke singles against the shift Dan. Swing the bat as hard as you can like everyone else!

Vogelbach has to be one of the most frustrating hitters I've ever seen. The guy has talent, a good eye, and can crush the ball but someone needs to tell him about exit velocity. Quit trying to poke singles against the shift Dan. Swing the bat as hard as you can like everyone else!

I agree with this so much. A guy who hits .200 actually has value if he's putting the ball over the fence 30 times a year like he did with the Mariners.

It's actually quite comical that he's seemed to have moved away from the launch angle and exit velocity trend and trying to become a hit for contact guy. I feel like this board has been begging for guys to do that and somehow, probably the one guy in the lineup you wouldn't want to do it, has become the guy to pick it up lol

Padres - 220R/377H/64D/9T/47HR/195BB/372K/600TB (48 games)

Brewers- 174R/324H/61D/5T/50HR/160BB/456K/545TB (47 games)

Surprised to see the Brewers with more HRs. Other than that the Padres are a thoroughly better offensive team.

"It's ok not to be superstitious but you should be a little stitious." - adambr2 6/4/21

I agree with this so much. A guy who hits .200 actually has value if he's putting the ball over the fence 30 times a year like he did with the Mariners.

It's actually quite comical that he's seemed to have moved away from the launch angle and exit velocity trend and trying to become a hit for contact guy. I feel like this board has been begging for guys to do that and somehow, probably the one guy in the lineup you wouldn't want to do it, has become the guy to pick it up lol

He did mention this in an interview. Almost like changing his swing and not hitting the ball hard doesnt work against some of the best athletes in the world.

He did mention this in an interview. Almost like changing his swing and not hitting the ball hard doesnt work against some of the best athletes in the world.

That or could be guys are what their average says they are. If you're a .200 career hitter, you're going to be successful 20% of the time regardless of if you swing for launch angle or swing for contact...so if you have the strength to put the ball over the fence then you might as well do it cause the % of success you have is going to be the same either way, but the impact of a HR is obviously better than a single.

I think I'd be happy with a split in this series.

A split would be great, especially with Hauser and Anderson as two of the starters.

The Padres have been scorching hot, especially on offense, while winning 9 in a row and 12 of their last 13. They’ve scored 91 runs in those games even though they had several key players on the Covid list for some of those games.

Tatis was on my opponent’s team in fantasy last week, and he was 11 for 14 with 4 HR, 11 RBI, and 8 XBH in 4 games after coming off the Covid list. He’s in a zone that would call for IBB no matter the situation.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2B Wong

CF Cain

LF Taylor

RF García

1B Hiura

SS Adames

C Piña

3B Urías

P Woodruff

I get that Yelich is going to need to be eased back in, but kind of a bummer that he's out of the lineup after hitting one 450 feet yesterday. Makes some sense against a tough lefty that they'd load up on righty hitters, though.

I trust the medical/ training staff to make prudent decisions on the best way to ease him back after a prolonged absence.

Ps if he is going to get a day off this isn’t a bad day to choose……Snell has been dominant this year vs lefties.

Archived