Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-23: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers win, 9-4 -- Offense shows signs of life; Crew captures series win in Cincinnati]

Eye Black
Even in Freddy’s “off” games, he’s damn good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t have an issue with Robertson not playing today. It’s just funny how this is what happens frequently. I do find it funny how you mention I’m still beating that drum, says that it’s not true about Counsell benching guys frequently, but the drum continues to be beat because well, it’s happening quite a bit and continues to happen. Otherwise I wouldn’t beat that drum.

I’m sorry, but Shaw isn’t the future and has done 0 to warrant more playing time. He is 1/22 recently prior to today. Shaw won’t be on the roster next year and instead of letting the young guy play after some success and building his confidence moving forward the next half decade, we let him ride the pine after a good game.

But here we are.

Or you just choose to ignore the times where the player plays after a big game. After you complained about this back on 5/9, I provided you with some data based on using 2 hits a game (because you were complaining about Huira being benched after having two hits) after you wouldn’t show how many times a player had a big game and started the next day.

LINK

At that point in time, there were 43 ‘big games’ and the player didn’t start the next game 11 times and that included Yelich going back to the DL after his 1 game return.

Players will have off days after having a good game, especially with a team like the Brewers who like to use analytics and platoons, but they play far more frequently after a big game than not and you continuously ignore it to complain.

Really? 2 hits isn’t a big game. That was something you said yourself in that prior thread that was a “big game”. The only reason I gave that example at the time was because Hiura was playing worth crap and then when the young guy starts smoking the ball 3 times at Wrigley and had 2 hits out of it, he rode the bench. You deciding to take it upon yourself as two hits as some massive game where the player needs to play the next game was on yourself.

Also, yes if the team has 3 hits in a game and one player had 2 of them, he probably should be in the lineup the next day. That doesn’t mean it’s some huge game. It means play the productive bat and quit yanking players around.

People can say that all the players buy into platoons and this philosophy and whatnot. The numbers don’t back that up.

I don’t have an issue with Robertson not playing today. It’s just funny how this is what happens frequently. I do find it funny how you mention I’m still beating that drum, says that it’s not true about Counsell benching guys frequently, but the drum continues to be beat because well, it’s happening quite a bit and continues to happen. Otherwise I wouldn’t beat that drum.

I’m sorry, but Shaw isn’t the future and has done 0 to warrant more playing time. He is 1/22 recently prior to today. Shaw won’t be on the roster next year and instead of letting the young guy play after some success and building his confidence moving forward the next half decade, we let him ride the pine after a good game.

But here we are.

Or you just choose to ignore the times where the player plays after a big game. After you complained about this back on 5/9, I provided you with some data based on using 2 hits a game (because you were complaining about Huira being benched after having two hits) after you wouldn’t show how many times a player had a big game and started the next day.

LINK

At that point in time, there were 43 ‘big games’ and the player didn’t start the next game 11 times and that included Yelich going back to the DL after his 1 game return.

Players will have off days after having a good game, especially with a team like the Brewers who like to use analytics and platoons, but they play far more frequently after a big game than not and you continuously ignore it to complain.

Really? 2 hits isn’t a big game. The only reason I gave that example at the time was because Hiura was playing worth crap and then when the young guy starts smoking the ball 3 times at Wrigley and had 2 hits out of it, he rode the bench. You deciding to take it upon yourself as two hits as some massive game where the player needs to play the next game was on yourself.

Also, yes if the team has 3 hits in a game and one player had 2 of them, he probably should be in the lineup the next day. That doesn’t mean it’s some huge game. It means play the productive bat and quit yanking players around.

People can say that all the players buy into platoons and this philosophy and whatnot. The numbers don’t back that up.

I picked that because you called it a big game for Huira and I asked you to point out all the times the Brewers started a player after a big game vs not and wouldn’t go back and look. But go ahead and define a big game, I guarantee that they play more often afterwards than not.

Pay off pitch

Pay off pitch

Pay off pitch again

Pay off pitch

I kind of hope Lepay has a brain fart and yells "First down!" just to break the monotony.

For people who aren’t Badger fans, LePay is annoying most of the time.

He has an up and down speaking pattern that irritates me.

One of the things I noticed years ago during Badgers football radio broadcasts is on field goal or PAT plays he would always throw in "pressure moderate", so something like, "Here's the snap, pressure moderate, the kick is up and it is good!" As if it matters one iota what the presure of the defense's rush is unless they actually create a close play or disruption of the kick. I could never unhear it once I noticed it. I happily pointed it out to my brother and friends so that they could be infected with the same annoyance I felt. I'm not sure if he still calls it that way I haven't listened to a radio broadcast in quite a while.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yelich now 0 for 13 since coming back from the DL.

Somewhat misleading because he's hit into a couple pretty hard outs. First AB today had 115mph exit velocity and xBA of .850...out.

The strikeouts aren't encouraging but he also missed a month straight. I would say I'm about a 2 out of 10 on the concerned meter right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Somewhat misleading because he's hit into a couple pretty hard outs. First AB today had 115mph exit velocity and xBA of .850...out.

The strikeouts aren't encouraging but he also missed a month straight. I would say I'm about a 2 out of 10 on the concerned meter right now.

I mean, the guy came back and played one game after his first IL stint, and had two hits before immediately going back on the IL. He's gonna hit. It's the power that I hope comes back.

He’s had one hard hit out, the line drive in the first inning today.

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt after the month off, but last season and the fact that he wasn’t exactly mashing the ball to start this year (just one XBH) has my concern level quite a bit higher than 2. I’m really not expecting to see what Yelich did the second half of 2018 and all of 2019, but something closer to the first half of 2018 would be welcome.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bummer that Freddy couldn't get through 5. Kinda got "Bad Freddy" today, but he has improved to the point where he was able to limit the damage despite having little command today. The Peralta of last year or the year before would have given up at least 4-5 runs today.

Urias played two games in a row and is 23 years old. He can handle playing a few days in a row.

Also, I’ve always hated the strict platooning, benching guys after a good game, making lineups out in advance, being absolutely strict to off days without performance having a say in it.

How has our strict platooning of all these guys been going? Sounds good in theory, but a lot of players don’t play well without consistent playing time and getting yanked around.

Just take a look at our offense the last number of years and let me know how all these strict platoons have been working out for this offense. Only arguably the worst offense in baseball for two years.

There might be an example of one working, but when the other 80% haven’t worked, the numbers just don’t point to that being an effective strategy.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that Urias wasn’t in the starting lineup today because he needs rest.

The only relevant decision today is whether to start Shaw or Urias at third against Castillo. In addition to the potential offense, playing Urias at third might not be the best choice in light of his throwing yips.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I refuse to believe that Brad Boxberger over Freddy Peralta is ever the right call. I wish they had let him have one more guy. Hope it works out.

Normally I agree but Freddy was wild all day. My fear with him was having to groove a fastball because he just couldn't throw a strike

If no umpire is ever going to force a batter to try to get our of the way of a ball, just take the rule out of the rulebook already.

If you did that in the men's league I played in in my 30s the next at bat would have one in your rib cage.

Random rant: The 5 inning minimum requirement for a starter to win is stupid. While a reliever can "win" on one batter. You recorded more than half of the outs, should that not be enough?

The whole pitcher W/L statistic seems outdated for modern baseball anyway.

Bottom line is that Counsell isn’t as innovative now as he was and isn’t with the offense in an effective way either. He does a poor job of adapting when players are hitting well. You shouldn’t make out your lineups in advance and then if a player is doing well, not be willing to adjust/be innovative and play a player hitting well the next day strictly because “my lineup card on Sunday I made out on Friday says Shaw has to play this day even if the other guy has 4 hits in two days”.

Sorry, but it wouldn’t shock me if it’s difficult attracting some certain free agents here or if there are some players who don’t like playing Counsell because “what do I have to do to stay in the lineup?” when basically no matter what you do, you won’t keep playing because he isn’t willing to adapt. Players want to play every day. It’s been said a ton of times in the past by former and current players that they want to play every day, keep grinding, seeing these tough pitchers every day instead of having time off and getting out of their groove.

Community Moderator
If no umpire is ever going to force a batter to try to get our of the way of a ball, just take the rule out of the rulebook already.

I know this probably won’t be the case, but I wonder if that’s the sort of thing the home plate umpire will be able to pay better attention to once we have the automated strike zone.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Well it appears we have a few innings from the clown bullpen. Hey, at least our middle relievers are better than the rockies
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Archived