Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-23: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers win, 9-4 -- Offense shows signs of life; Crew captures series win in Cincinnati]

Eye Black
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s nice being able to enjoy a game... hopefully Peralta pitches to contact so we don’t have multiple innings from our lovely middle relief
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

You’re still banging this drum?

I also wonder why Urias isn't in the lineup considering his stats over the past week, as mentioned earlier in the thread, are pretty solid and him and Shaw have almost the same statline vs RHP, negating the lefty/righty matchup. Not sure I'll ever find myself arguing for more Robertson though :laughing

That is all fine. RollieTime repeatedly argues that Counsell always benches a player after a good game when it has been shown to not be true.

I don’t have an issue with Robertson not playing today. It’s just funny how this is what happens frequently. I do find it funny how you mention I’m still beating that drum, says that it’s not true about Counsell benching guys frequently, but the drum continues to be beat because well, it’s happening quite a bit and continues to happen. Otherwise I wouldn’t beat that drum.

I’m sorry, but Shaw isn’t the future and has done 0 to warrant more playing time. He is 1/22 recently prior to today. Shaw won’t be on the roster next year and instead of letting the young guy play after some success and building his confidence moving forward the next half decade, we let him ride the pine after a good game.

But here we are.

It’s nice being able to enjoy a game... hopefully Peralta pitches to contact so we don’t have multiple innings from our lovely middle relief

Are you forgetting last Sunday when Peralta left with an 8-0 lead?

I am not looking forward to the dregs of the bullpen trying to get by Winker, Castellanos, et al. I think it’s going to take more than 5 to win today in this launching pad.

Hopefully the Brewers will be able to add on against the Reds arson squad.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Am I missing something? Was winker a huge prospect? This is getting ridiculous

Former first round pick with a career OPS of .859 coming into this year. He’s white hot right now and probably has been overshadowed with the Reds the last few years with Puig, Votto, Suarez. castellanos, Moustakas

Impressive job limiting the damage so far but at 69 pitches looks like we would be lucky to get 5 from Freddy today. Not sure what the bullpen will look like those last 4-5 innings after the trade

Isn’t the simple answer to guys sometimes not playing the day after hitting a HR that the managers plan out their lineups based on matchups and attempting to get everyone in the lineup once or twice a week and giving even the best players an occasional day off? They aren’t inclined to change that plan based on what a hitter does one day against a pitcher that they won’t be facing the next day.

I think people in the business are less likely to overreact to one result than fans are. Trying to play “the hot hand” because of one or two ABs is likely counterproductive.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Just a mirage or starting to see signs of the team turnaround we've all been waiting for ?

Or it could the Reds pitching isn’t any good.

Castillo certainly has been in his career. I don't know what is going on with him this year though.

Impressive job limiting the damage so far but at 69 pitches looks like we would be lucky to get 5 from Freddy today. Not sure what the bullpen will look like those last 4-5 innings after the trade

Richards, Boxberger/Bettinger, Williams, Hader

Former first round pick with a career OPS of .859 coming into this year. He’s white hot right now and probably has been overshadowed with the Reds the last few years with Puig, Votto, Suarez. castellanos, Moustakas

This is just payback for the Thames beating they took a few years back

I also wonder why Urias isn't in the lineup considering his stats over the past week, as mentioned earlier in the thread, are pretty solid and him and Shaw have almost the same statline vs RHP, negating the lefty/righty matchup. Not sure I'll ever find myself arguing for more Robertson though :laughing

That is all fine. RollieTime repeatedly argues that Counsell always benches a player after a good game when it has been shown to not be true.

I don’t have an issue with Robertson not playing today. It’s just funny how this is what happens frequently. I do find it funny how you mention I’m still beating that drum, says that it’s not true about Counsell benching guys frequently, but the drum continues to be beat because well, it’s happening quite a bit and continues to happen. Otherwise I wouldn’t beat that drum.

I’m sorry, but Shaw isn’t the future and has done 0 to warrant more playing time. He is 1/22 recently prior to today. Shaw won’t be on the roster next year and instead of letting the young guy play after some success and building his confidence moving forward the next half decade, we let him ride the pine after a good game.

But here we are.

Or you just choose to ignore the times where the player plays after a big game. After you complained about this back on 5/9, I provided you with some data based on using 2 hits a game (because you were complaining about Huira being benched after having two hits) after you wouldn’t show how many times a player had a big game and started the next day.

LINK

At that point in time, there were 43 ‘big games’ and the player didn’t start the next game 11 times and that included Yelich going back to the DL after his 1 game return.

Players will have off days after having a good game, especially with a team like the Brewers who like to use analytics and platoons, but they play far more frequently after a big game than not and you continuously ignore it to complain.

Just a mirage or starting to see signs of the team turnaround we've all been waiting for ?

Or it could the Reds pitching isn’t any good.

Castillo certainly has been in his career. I don't know what is going on with him this year though.

Good stuff, poor command so far this year for Castillo. Overall poor pitching staff in Cincy 14th in NL in runs allowed

Winker was a top 50 prospect at one time so a pretty big prospect. Always has hit for average and the power started showing up more last year with a .544 slugging rate.

Urias played two games in a row and is 23 years old. He can handle playing a few days in a row.

Also, I’ve always hated the strict platooning, benching guys after a good game, making lineups out in advance, being absolutely strict to off days without performance having a say in it.

How has our strict platooning of all these guys been going? Sounds good in theory, but a lot of players don’t play well without consistent playing time and getting yanked around.

Just take a look at our offense the last number of years and let me know how all these strict platoons have been working out for this offense. Only arguably the worst offense in baseball for two years.

There might be an example of one working, but when the other 80% haven’t worked, the numbers just don’t point to that being an effective strategy.

Pay off pitch

Pay off pitch

Pay off pitch again

Pay off pitch

I kind of hope Lepay has a brain fart and yells "First down!" just to break the monotony.

For people who aren’t Badger fans, LePay is annoying most of the time.

He has an up and down speaking pattern that irritates me.

Archived