Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-21: Brewers (Houser) at Reds (Hoffman) [Brewers lose, 9-4 -- Winker hits 3 HRs, Crew’s slide continues]

Eye Black
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Counsell isn’t responsible for the hitters not hitting to their career norms? If you blame Haines, then why hasn’t Counsell fired him?

You’re correct if Counsell refuses to fire Haines, then it’s on Stearns for Counsell not firing Haines. Regardless, this team is absolute trash offensively and someone needs to take the fall. I’m tired of watching the team score 1 run and expect to win.

Look at this lineup and tell me who is drastically underperforming career norms? JBJ is really the only hitter who is significantly worse than you would expect. Everybody else really isn’t underperforming, they just aren’t good.

If you want to tell me Cain is as well then fine. We will have to disagree as I don’t expect a guy at the tail end of his career, who hadn’t played baseball in a year and half, to be any better than he has been.

Haines will eventually take the fall but the front office is largely responsible for this

Stearns & Co. have put together a terrible roster. There's no doubt about it. It wasn't done overnight. It was done systematically over the last couple years through bad trades and bad signings.

If you think regular season bullpen depth is not very important Josh Lindblom may have something to say about that this year.

I like your optimism that we will score 2 or more runs the rest of this game. Glad to hear you are confident in the offense.

Wouldn't matter if we did, Lindblom isn't done giving up runs. I didn't think we'd score 4.

A loss by 2 runs or whatever Lindblom gives up still means the same.

So Counsell isn’t responsible for the hitters not hitting to their career norms? If you blame Haines, then why hasn’t Counsell fired him?

You’re correct if Counsell refuses to fire Haines, then it’s on Stearns for Counsell not firing Haines. Regardless, this team is absolute trash offensively and someone needs to take the fall. I’m tired of watching the team score 1 run and expect to win.

Look at this lineup and tell me who is drastically underperforming career norms? JBJ is really the only hitter who is significantly worse than you would expect. Everybody else really isn’t underperforming, they just aren’t good.

If you want to tell me Cain is as well then fine. We will have to disagree as I don’t expect a guy at the tail end of his career, who hadn’t played baseball in a year and half, to be any better than he has been.

Haines will eventually take the fall but the front office is largely responsible for this

Stearns & Co. have put together a terrible roster. There's no doubt about it. It wasn't done overnight. It was done systematically over the last couple years through bad trades and bad signings.

Only thing you left out was bad drafts.

How bad is the Korean league if this guy was their best pitcher.

Bad enough that Eric Thames is the MVP?

Hey now, Thames is OPSing 1.6ish in Japan right now so Korean League must be better than that at least.

I agree, it was a fine signing. But he wasn't sniffing a 1.288 in the majors as he did one year there. The KBO isn't very good period. That's the only point I tried to make.

I believe there was a saber article a few years ago claiming their analysis put it about double AA level of talent/play. I can see a washed up 30+ former MLB pitcher having a field day in double AA and here we are... Did anyone in the Brewers org even look at tape and adjust for level of play when they thought let's sign Lindblom to a 3 year deal or did his agent pown Stearns with a fake other team bidding... Either way it makes Stearns look like a knob...

A loss by 2 runs or whatever Lindblom gives up still means the same.

I mean yeah, tonight, for one night, it doesn't matter?

There will be plenty of times where Devin and Hader can't go the entire way in close games and it will matter.

Only thing you left out was bad drafts.

Agreed. Wanting to fire the manager just to make a change seems not only like a terrible move because Counsell is a good manager, but also it’s just placing the blame in the wrong area.

Hey now, Thames is OPSing 1.6ish in Japan right now so Korean League must be better than that at least.

30 plate appearances is a bit of a small sample size. Plus he was doing it in the Japanese minors which I've read is about the equivalent of A ball.

I’d rather have Thames over Vogelbach if I am being honest.

Haines seems to be working some magic. Instead of striking out on a swing and a miss the Brewers are now striking out on foul tips. Keep it up Andy! Sometime in 2023 they'll be actually putting the ball in play...

Archived